eBay & The Fall

eBay & The Fall

mantpl
mantpl

31 Aug 2004, 13:01 #1

A guitar once used by The *mighty* Fall is on eBay
(no info. as to whom the owner is/was though)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 30525&rd=1
mark'll sink us all

Stephen

31 Aug 2004, 13:08 #2

mantpl @ Aug 31 2004, 01:01 PM wrote: A guitar once used by The *mighty* Fall is on eBay
(no info. as to whom the owner is/was though)
Could be Craig's...
Could be Brix's...

Steve Local

31 Aug 2004, 13:13 #3

Stephen @ Sep 1 2004, 01:08 AM wrote:
Could be Craig's...
Could be Brix's...
It looks like the white Strat that Craig used to have, except Craig plays as a left-hooker, doesn't/didn't he - and that guitar is set up for a right handed player.

BikeBloke

31 Aug 2004, 17:00 #4

I think it's one of Ben's.
"Between the ticker and the mind lies an air-block of wind".

Conway
Administrator
Conway
Administrator

01 Sep 2004, 04:43 #5

How do you know it's a Fall guitar? Have I missed something or am I suffering from blindness (Fallcon)?

Is the seller - Bennysmarket - Ben Pritchard?
The Fall online = The Fall A-Z. Every century... past, present and future. No re-writing the past; no obliterating it.

Keeping the vocalist away from fiddling with our knobs since 1998! Hup!

otherdave

01 Sep 2004, 07:16 #6

Conway @ Sep 1 2004, 04:43 AM wrote: How do you know it's a Fall guitar? Have I missed something or am I suffering from blindness (Fallcon)?
It did say "The Fall" in the header, but that seems to have been removed - Kurious.

Maybe they meen since it'll be sold(?) in September, it's a guitar for the Fall, in the autumnal sense.
Grasping 2010 with both teeth

mantpl
mantpl

01 Sep 2004, 09:09 #7

It did say "The Fall" in the header, but that seems to have been removed - Kurious.

yeah, and a reserved price has been added
mark'll sink us all

Conway
Administrator
Conway
Administrator

01 Sep 2004, 09:54 #8

Without the Fall tag, it's just a second-hand strat then ain't it?! 100 quid would be fairly cheap...
The Fall online = The Fall A-Z. Every century... past, present and future. No re-writing the past; no obliterating it.

Conway
Administrator
Conway
Administrator

01 Sep 2004, 09:55 #9

Mind you, I wonder what sort of premium the Fall tag would add to the price. Coupla quid??? :unsure:

BikeBloke

01 Sep 2004, 10:47 #10

(In a Loyd Grossman voice)

'Let's look at the evidence - a seller called Ben. A white Strat as seen being used by Ben at gigs. Location Manchester. A recently removed Fall tag. Who sells a stratocaster like this?'

Come in Mr Prichard, your time is up!
"Between the ticker and the mind lies an air-block of wind".

otherdave

01 Sep 2004, 11:40 #11

Conway @ Sep 1 2004, 09:55 AM wrote: I wonder what sort of premium the Fall tag would add to the price.
Sadly, the seller seems have thought it a disincentive to potential buyers... :(
Grasping 2010 with both teeth

Martin

01 Sep 2004, 12:48 #12

Next they'll be selling used microphones.
Where is the fun nowadays?

rostasi

01 Sep 2004, 13:11 #13

Well, I'm not sure how much I had to do with the change. I asked the following questions and soon The Fall name was removed and a reserve price was added - Even the item title used to be:

"Fender USA Stratocaster white 1984 The Fall / swap"

Q&A:

"Hello, do you have any more info concerning it's authenticity? Who played it? How was it acquired?, etc Does '84 refer to the time that it was played in the band or to the time that it was made (or purchased) or... Thanks. It would be much appreciated... Rod"

Hi The '84' refers to the year the guitar was made. The guitar has not been with the band for twenty years but has been used by it's various guitarists both live and in the studio. Originally the guitar was purchased from Bonecat Music in Middleton, Manchester. I have just entered a reserve price. Hope this helps, thanks.

R

steelbonebob

01 Sep 2004, 14:38 #14

Martin

01 Sep 2004, 15:55 #15

I've got it, and hope it's worth more than a measly quid!

copycorps

02 Sep 2004, 02:54 #16

Conway @ Sep 1 2004, 04:43 PM wrote: How do you know it's a Fall guitar? Have I missed something or am I suffering from blindness (Fallcon)?

Is the seller - Bennysmarket - Ben Pritchard?
conway, I have been following the output of the fall for a long time now and have met mark , ben, elina?, spence, dingo, steve and the rest of the others that make up the band at any given time, but was curious if how much you know of them as individuals to keep this web stuff going at such a devoted pace, believe me, it is only commendable,but I have to wonder why it is done. with, that said I think " clasp hands" is ultimately about this devoted fan base and how it is seen seen thru marks head. And in saying that and upon listening to that song with the elves riff. can only make me think of one thing...you guys are the elves making everything come together , when ultimately you are also the ones at the front door holding hands together like some commune. it is very hard to describe with any fall lyric but at the first few listenings that is what it took away from it.hope alls well in NZ.

chachacha

02 Sep 2004, 03:04 #17

what a great guy. I wonder if Conway and Stefan are appreciated by smith and Co and in the case of C the local NZ music scene-Has C been the subject of any music press in NZ. Strange? that its outsiders who are keeping it going i.e americans and a NZer, obviously the real work is done by smith and co, but this is a good substitute for marketing ie by the fans, notwithstanding smiths ambivalence towards fans.
WE WARN THE TSAR!

FANNYNO!

"We are all Subcomandante Marcos."

“There is great disorder under heaven, the situation is excellent.”

You have to break some windows to get the message through.”

mantpl
mantpl

02 Sep 2004, 09:56 #18

but I have to wonder why it is done.
pretty obvious to me. Conway's a fan of the band & obviously takes pleasure in bringing info to v. appreciative fans Fall (who otherwise would get squat).

Of late I seem to detect some mocking undertones <_< from fall circles for the work Stefan & Conway are putting into the fall site, or is it just me? does it make sense to belittle ppl running an unofficial fan website just because they are easy targets or because they don't know the band. If certain ppl are unhappy with Stefan and Conways work I don't see whay they don't set up and run a website themselves. It's easy to sit on your arse and take pot shots. that's all i'm saying -_-
mark'll sink us all

rostasi

02 Sep 2004, 10:21 #19

mantpl @ Sep 2 2004, 04:56 AM wrote:Of late I seem to detect some mocking undertones&nbsp; <_<&nbsp; from fall circles for the work Stefan & Conway are putting into the fall site, or is it just me? does it make sense to belittle ppl running an unofficial fan website just because they are easy targets or because they don't know the band. If certain ppl are unhappy with Stefan and Conways work I don't see whay they don't set up and&nbsp; run a website themselves. It's easy to sit on your arse and take pot shots. that's all i'm saying&nbsp; -_-
No mocking from me. These guys have a family and kids separate from us. Actually, I wonder how they find the time myself. Always kudos for letting us kids play around.

Rod

Martin

02 Sep 2004, 10:23 #20

mantpl @ Sep 2 2004, 09:56 PM wrote:
but I have to wonder why it is done.
pretty obvious to me. Conway's a fan of the band & obviously takes pleasure in bringing info to v. appreciative fans Fall (who otherwise would get squat).

Of late I seem to detect some mocking undertones <_< from fall circles for the work Stefan & Conway are putting into the fall site, or is it just me? does it make sense to belittle ppl running an unofficial fan website just because they are easy targets or because they don't know the band. If certain ppl are unhappy with Stefan and Conways work I don't see whay they don't set up and run a website themselves. It's easy to sit on your arse and take pot shots. that's all i'm saying -_-
I agree with this. People (and that includes me) may not agree with everything Conway and Stefan do but on the whole they do a great fob.

Country Folk

02 Sep 2004, 22:02 #21

Looks like Bennysmarket also bought Cubase for £7... possibly spending the whole budget for the new album :P

rostasi

02 Sep 2004, 22:06 #22

It's not for sale anymore apparently...

"The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing."

Rod

---
Now playing: The Specials - Skinhead Girl

Conway
Administrator
Conway
Administrator

03 Sep 2004, 10:58 #23

mantpl @ Sep 2 2004, 09:56 PM wrote: pretty obvious to me. Conway's a fan of the band & obviously takes pleasure in bringing info to v. appreciative fans Fall (who otherwise would get squat).

Thanks for that Maurice. I have noticed those undertones. But I keep reminding myself of the old saying: you can please some of the people all of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the time.... but when it comes to Fall fans, you're bloody lucky if you can please a handful of people once in a blue moon. :lol:

Conway
Administrator
Conway
Administrator

03 Sep 2004, 11:05 #24

rostasi @ Sep 2 2004, 10:21 PM wrote: No mocking from me. These guys have a family and kids separate from us. Actually, I wonder how they find the time myself.
Finding enough time to do everything is the eternal problem.... and talking about family & time, I went to my 7 year old daughter's school assembly this morning to see her singing in the junior choir (up to year/grade 4). Chuffed I was. She's quite a good little singer - hits the right notes, which a lot of kids her age don't. No Fall songs performed though.

Conway
Administrator
Conway
Administrator

03 Sep 2004, 11:18 #25

chachacha @ Sep 2 2004, 03:04 PM wrote: in the case of C the local NZ music scene-Has C been the subject of any music press in NZ
No. Why would I be - being involved with the Fall website does nothing for the NZ music scene.... :huh: