Ditching The Albatross

Ditching The Albatross

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

13 Jun 2012, 02:49 #1

I've been trying for a long time to come up with proper tunes that would speak to peoples' hearts and earn me a million bucks.

In the meantime here's a few experiments.  Two such songs + a 12-minute jam.  For the last one I recorded a simple rhythm track and then played along with it with the window open (that's why it's called Window Box).  My idea was to play without any forethought or planning - it was harder to do than I thought but here's the mess anyway. :).

In case anyone actually listens to this, I think it sounds better on a stereo system.  But rather than waste using a whole 5.5 inch CD on it, why not just send me 5 units of the currency of your choice (incl 1923 pre-revaluation Deutschmarks) and I will send your very own MINI CD SINGLE with these tunes, which were mastered specifically for this purpose.  And for that price I will send it ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.  You can't ask fairer than that.


The CD single:




The download:  VEGETATION by Ditching The Albatross
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 02:14

13 Jun 2012, 02:55 #2

Holy %#$@%#$!!!
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

13 Jun 2012, 02:58 #3

flickeringlexicon @ Jun 12 2012, 10:55 PM wrote: Holy %#$@%#$!!!
Better wait till you heard it. :lol:
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 02:14

18 Jun 2012, 17:27 #4

Now I have, and I dug it. Track one has enough feedback to scare Mo Tucker, but then settles down into the sort of wry, anti-Xmas song that I particularly like. Track 2 has a wonderful sort of late-night, Tom Waits vibe (early Waits, before he started gargling gravel.) :)

Track 3 is the standout though, a long journey through the key of G, blending sounds from the real world with instruments such as guitar, piano, and mandolin. Schoenberg had a theory that a piece need not have any melodic movement at all, as long as the tones and timbres kept changing throughout, which he called 'Klangfarbenmelodie.' This is extremely difficult to pull off, and still be listenable and fun, yet I think Ditching The Albatross have done just that with 'Window Box.' Atmospherically lovely, check it out....
Reply

Joined: 08 May 2004, 13:33

18 Jun 2012, 18:22 #5

I downloaded, but have not yet lissened.
Reply

Conway
Administrator
Conway
Administrator
Joined: 16 May 2003, 11:03

19 Jun 2012, 00:12 #6

I've opened this thread in my browser but haven't read it yet.
The Fall online = The Fall A-Z. Every century... past, present and future. No re-writing the past; no obliterating it.

Keeping the vocalist away from fiddling with our knobs since 1998! Hup!
Reply

marvell78
Member
Joined: 03 Jul 2003, 18:24

19 Jun 2012, 13:21 #7

love the sound of the acoustic. how did you manage it? gear adn so on?
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

20 Jun 2012, 14:29 #8

marvell78 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:21 AM wrote: love the sound of the acoustic. how did you manage it? gear adn so on?
stereo miking - shure 58 and audiotechnica into a PV preamp/mixer, only then into the 8-track.

remember who told you this. B)
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

marvell78
Member
Joined: 03 Jul 2003, 18:24

20 Jun 2012, 15:44 #9

delmore @ Jun 21 2012, 02:29 AM wrote:
marvell78 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:21 AM wrote: love the sound of the acoustic. how did you manage it? gear adn so on?
stereo miking - shure 58 and audiotechnica into a PV preamp/mixer, only then into the 8-track.

remember who told you this. B)

it reminds me of 60s and 70s acoustics when you can actually hear the notes rather than the mainly percussive sound (that you tend to get these days). a lot of acoustic gtr tends to lack in musicality these days (to my ears anyway) and it seems that they are less interested in the musical than the percussive

anytime i have used and acoustic i have been plagued with this effect (not by choice). on our songs we use a good guild but even then it is never as musical as we would like. we use 58s too and mike up one chnanel and di the other. but yours sounds better!

last track is a good idea. we did a similar thing. i think cleanvilel put it up as one of those single things he does on the site. it was called crenshaw. teh track last about 5 mins but the orignal was about 10 or 15 and we cut it down to make the song CT chose. in fact, we were discussing it the other day and the possibility that we might be able to get an entitrely differnt song out of the 15 mins by radically altering the edits came up. a whole album could be made out of 20 mins of jamming was our conclusion. with no 2 tracks sounding remotely similar

re the window box idea: check out dj hollerbushs stuff. he does exaclty the same thign himself. one of his tracks is an open wiondow and the sound and vison of the wind in the trees outside. its on youtube.
Reply

the fell
Member
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 21:33

20 Jun 2012, 22:57 #10

marvell78,Jun 21 2012, 03:44 AM wrote:
delmore,Jun 21 2012, 02:29 AM wrote:
marvell78,Jun 19 2012, 09:21 AM wrote: love the sound of the acoustic. how did you manage it? gear adn so on?
stereo miking - shure 58 and audiotechnica into a PV preamp/mixer, only then into the 8-track.

remember who told you this. B)

it reminds me of 60s and 70s acoustics when you can actually hear the notes rather than the mainly percussive sound (that you tend to get these days). a lot of acoustic gtr tends to lack in musicality these days (to my ears anyway) and it seems that they are less interested in the musical than the percussive
I've noticed this as well with more recent acoustic recordings- kind of a shame really.

" Christie Mountain " reminds me of Giant Sand/ Howe Gelb. For some reason I wanted to hear some reverb or delay on the vocals- otherwise good stuff.
Nonsense is better than no sense at all- NMN
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

22 Jun 2012, 05:35 #11

Interesting thought Norman. :D. Unfortunately I have a principled opposition to use of reverb, especiially because Audacity's reverb effect is so lame. But thanks for listening. :applaud:
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

Joined: 08 May 2004, 13:33

22 Jun 2012, 22:00 #12

marvell78 @ Jun 20 2012, 11:44 AM wrote: . . . it was called crenshaw. . . .
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59127207/fofer ... /blog.html

still gettin' to your stuff, delmore.

ps: wow, I lissened to the first Live Earth fest at the Sicilian Sidewalk Cafe and now it is in tha news because of Johnny Maserati.
Reply

Joined: 08 May 2004, 13:33

23 Jun 2012, 18:32 #13

Okay, my review:

"Vegetation" I am not partial to. "Christie Mountain" and "Windowbox" are both very nice and both sound a lot like things that could have been on the wonderful Beck album One Foot In The Grave that was released on K records. Nice production. Nice singing on "Christie Mountain." "windowbox" reminds me of when I lived in Cincinnati and would sometimes go to this music equipment store that had church pews installed and bluegrass type people would hang out and jam on Saturday afternoons and you could sit in the pews and lissen. I think it was in some northwest near-suburb? walnut hill? maybe Mik knows. The pickers there wouldn't have done the dissonant parts, tho. Just the smooth parts.
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

24 Jun 2012, 20:41 #14

Cleanville Tziabatz @ Jun 23 2012, 02:32 PM wrote: Okay, my review:

"Vegetation" I am not partial to. "Christie Mountain" and "Windowbox" are both very nice and both sound a lot like things that could have been on the wonderful Beck album One Foot In The Grave that was released on K records. Nice production. Nice singing on "Christie Mountain." "windowbox" reminds me of when I lived in Cincinnati and would sometimes go to this music equipment store that had church pews installed and bluegrass type people would hang out and jam on Saturday afternoons and you could sit in the pews and lissen. I think it was in some northwest near-suburb? walnut hill? maybe Mik knows. The pickers there wouldn't have done the dissonant parts, tho. Just the smooth parts.
You sniffed out both my thefts influences there. Nice work! :angry:
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

22 Sep 2014, 16:39 #15

Trying to get out of a loose jam: two half-drunk old guys in the basement last Friday.

I Plucked Wild Berries (extract) by The Wasted Apostles.
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 02:14

22 Sep 2014, 22:03 #16

Cool Berries! B)
Reply

Joined: 08 May 2004, 13:33

24 Sep 2014, 01:25 #17

sounds good. pot smokin' music.
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

24 Sep 2014, 12:50 #18

Thank you, I think. I'll put that in the promo package. :girly:
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

Joined: 08 May 2004, 13:33

02 Apr 2016, 00:22 #19

delmore @ Jun 12 2012, 10:49 PM wrote: I've been trying for a long time to come up with proper tunes that would speak to peoples' hearts and earn me a million bucks.

In the meantime here's a few experiments. Two such songs + a 12-minute jam. For the last one I recorded a simple rhythm track and then played along with it with the window open (that's why it's called Window Box). My idea was to play without any forethought or planning - it was harder to do than I thought but here's the mess anyway. :).

In case anyone actually listens to this, I think it sounds better on a stereo system. But rather than waste using a whole 5.5 inch CD on it, why not just send me 5 units of the currency of your choice (incl 1923 pre-revaluation Deutschmarks) and I will send your very own MINI CD SINGLE with these tunes, which were mastered specifically for this purpose. And for that price I will send it ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. You can't ask fairer than that.


The CD single:




The download: VEGETATION by Ditching The Albatross
This record is incredible.

I have been a fan of the song "windowbox" since this came out, but "going down to christie mountain" is even better. one of the best songs of the last few years.

"Vegetation" is okay, but the title makes delmore sound like a total stoner (even tho it is not clear if he is).
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

02 Apr 2016, 16:24 #20

Cleanville Tziabatz @ Apr 1 2016, 08:22 PM wrote:
delmore @ Jun 12 2012, 10:49 PM wrote: I've been trying for a long time to come up with proper tunes that would speak to peoples' hearts and earn me a million bucks.

In the meantime here's a few experiments.  Two such songs + a 12-minute jam.  For the last one I recorded a simple rhythm track and then played along with it with the window open (that's why it's called Window Box).  My idea was to play without any forethought or planning - it was harder to do than I thought but here's the mess anyway. :).

In case anyone actually listens to this, I think it sounds better on a stereo system.  But rather than waste using a whole 5.5 inch CD on it, why not just send me 5 units of the currency of your choice (incl 1923 pre-revaluation Deutschmarks) and I will send your very own MINI CD SINGLE with these tunes, which were mastered specifically for this purpose.  And for that price I will send it ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.  You can't ask fairer than that.


The CD single:




The download:  VEGETATION by Ditching The Albatross
This record is incredible.

I have been a fan of the song "windowbox" since this came out, but "going down to christie mountain" is even better. one of the best songs of the last few years.

"Vegetation" is okay, but the title makes delmore sound like a total stoner (even tho it is not clear if he is).
Glad you found something in it, Cleanerz.

Not sure what you mean by stoner so can't address that. :devil2:

Happy April fools day. :unsure:

:P
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

Joined: 08 May 2004, 13:33

02 Apr 2016, 23:44 #21

for the 14th proper episode of my radio show I am playing most of the ep. "Windowbox" gets collaged with I Love Lucy samples and Missing Maura Murray podcast samples.

I have heard other stuf of yours, but this one ep really is the sh*t. It has confidence and mastery that you don't often hear in unknown artists. Eat yer heart out, Lou Barlow (or Farces Wanna Mo for that matter).
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

03 Apr 2016, 00:27 #22

Cleanville Tziabatz @ Apr 2 2016, 07:44 PM wrote: for the 14th proper episode of my radio show I am playing most of the ep. "Windowbox" gets collaged with I Love Lucy samples and Missing Maura Murray podcast samples.

I have heard other stuf of yours, but this one ep really is the sh*t. It has confidence and mastery that you don't often hear in unknown artists. Eat yer heart out, Lou Barlow (or Farces Wanna Mo for that matter).
Oh dear. When is the broadcast of this monstrosity.
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

Joined: 08 May 2004, 13:33

03 Apr 2016, 01:00 #23

delmore @ Apr 2 2016, 08:27 PM wrote:
Cleanville Tziabatz @ Apr 2 2016, 07:44 PM wrote: for the 14th proper episode of my radio show I am playing most of the ep.  "Windowbox" gets collaged with I Love Lucy samples and Missing Maura Murray podcast samples.

I have heard other stuf of yours, but this one ep really is the sh*t.  It has confidence and mastery that you don't often hear in unknown artists.  Eat yer heart out, Lou Barlow (or Farces Wanna Mo for that matter).
Oh dear. When is the broadcast of this monstrosity.
hopefully on short nocice when I sub for a hungover co-ed after spring break is over, but b4 the semester is over. will let you know, of course.
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

03 Apr 2016, 03:57 #24

Cleanville Tziabatz @ Apr 2 2016, 09:00 PM wrote:
delmore @ Apr 2 2016, 08:27 PM wrote:
Cleanville Tziabatz @ Apr 2 2016, 07:44 PM wrote: for the 14th proper episode of my radio show I am playing most of the ep.  "Windowbox" gets collaged with I Love Lucy samples and Missing Maura Murray podcast samples.

I have heard other stuf of yours, but this one ep really is the sh*t.  It has confidence and mastery that you don't often hear in unknown artists.  Eat yer heart out, Lou Barlow (or Farces Wanna Mo for that matter).
Oh dear. When is the broadcast of this monstrosity.
hopefully on short nocice when I sub for a hungover co-ed after spring break is over, but b4 the semester is over. will let you know, of course.
That'll be interesting. I'll tell my folks. :rollover:
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply

delmore
Moderator
delmore
Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2009, 22:07

26 Jan 2017, 00:37 #25

New 'single' from The Wasted Apostles, a paean to the American President (Donald Trump).

The Garden of Ignorance
MSGM3... Shombalor!

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/16iic9l.jpg[img]

http://www.emoticons.online.fr/index.php?cat=Default

The cure was in no pill.
Reply