8:03 AM - Aug 12, 2018 #1826

jkn wrote:
the real a distant relation wrote: Wifi/'networks' are not my strong point.

I have the internet. Comes in via the telephone line to a modem/router. I also have an Apple Time Capsule which acts as a router. (I have no idea whether there's an advantage to using it over the modem/router).

My lad has got himself an X-box, and I want him to use it in our 'shed'. The wifi in the house doesn't quite reach the shed. 

What do I use - cheap, ideally - to extend the range of the wifi? Is that even possible?

Thanks
I don't know much about X-boxen, but my first thing would be to buy a better external antenna (aerial) for it. If you get a directional one (like a little satellite dish) you can aim it at your wifi router.

That should improve the signal strength a lot. Whether it will then be enough for gaming etc., I couldn't say.

HTH, Jon N
Thanks

A Worried Man

1:51 PM - Aug 15, 2018 #1827

Just spent £80 on a repair to my laptop. It is getting elderly and I should replace it before it blows up but setting up a new one and getting used to a new operating system is a pain in the arse.
a human-sized mass of bees that absorbed the soul of a Nazi

Stranger

1:42 AM - Aug 17, 2018 #1828

As I see this thread now incorporates the old audio technical questions thread ...

Jitter. Does lack of headroom cause this occur more in digital recording? I'm hoping to ask the mastering engineer I know in the morning, but it's bugging me, and I feel I need a couple of different opinions. I'm hearing it on 3 major components of a recording I have done, the strings, bass and vocals. Oddly not the piano, which is where I would have expected it from what I've read so far.
I think asking for an 'unmastered' file will help. Anyway any opinions would be of interest. I've listened to the song on 3 different devices now, and at varying volume levels, with good headphones (Sennheiser). I can tell I'm the type to notice jitter quickly anyway but it's definitely more prevalent on the new recording.

Thanks for any advice anyone has from their own experience or knowledge anyway.
celebrate the music of The Fall, forget the differences!
The stereo Radio Lancs Clitheroe '85 recording...on an official LP from the master tape, please...!
Sheffield Sound City 93 on LP, Nottingham 1987, Glastonbury 2015...too!
the more the merrier...
DON'T BUY VEGETABLES WRAPPED IN PLASTIC...

7:38 AM - Sep 22, 2018 #1829

Bought a PC about a year ago, Windows 10 of course. The auto-updates have been a pain as many people know but the last one seems to have totally destroyed my machine (HP laptop). 

It wouldn't boot so after three goes it automatically goes into recovery mode after which I tried every option to fix things including the nuclear option of 'Reset this PC' but all of them failed. The computer will not boot, getting stuck at the spinning wheel / blue screen

The problem with this update for certain machines is recognised online (graphics card issue I think) but as it stands Microsoft have completely ruined their own operating system and I literally had no choice but to let them do it. Even if somehow I could re-install the OS (though I don't know how now) it would try and update again and the whole thing would happen again. It seem. utterly bonkers.

Any idea of what I can do other than throw it in the bin? 

Stranger

9:12 PM - Sep 23, 2018 #1830

Does anyone know what The Calyx Institute is?

I set up a blog, and got an abusive message about it, which looked, initially, like it was from someone who would know better (an administrator of a website related to the topic of my blog). When I clicked on the 'who is' bit of the Wordpress mail, it had links to the Calyx Institute.

on edit, I looked up the ip address - it's a known spammer it seems behind it. Ha de ha ha, strange sense of humour they have.
Last edited by Stranger on 9:56 PM - Sep 23, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
celebrate the music of The Fall, forget the differences!
The stereo Radio Lancs Clitheroe '85 recording...on an official LP from the master tape, please...!
Sheffield Sound City 93 on LP, Nottingham 1987, Glastonbury 2015...too!
the more the merrier...
DON'T BUY VEGETABLES WRAPPED IN PLASTIC...

jkn
jkn

9:32 PM - Sep 23, 2018 #1831

academichamilton wrote: Bought a PC about a year ago, Windows 10 of course. The auto-updates have been a pain as many people know but the last one seems to have totally destroyed my machine (HP laptop). 

It wouldn't boot so after three goes it automatically goes into recovery mode after which I tried every option to fix things including the nuclear option of 'Reset this PC' but all of them failed. The computer will not boot, getting stuck at the spinning wheel / blue screen

The problem with this update for certain machines is recognised online (graphics card issue I think) but as it stands Microsoft have completely ruined their own operating system and I literally had no choice but to let them do it. Even if somehow I could re-install the OS (though I don't know how now) it would try and update again and the whole thing would happen again. It seem. utterly bonkers.

Any idea of what I can do other than throw it in the bin? 
A bit of a flippant answer, but you could always install Linux on it...

1:13 AM - Sep 24, 2018 #1832

academichamilton wrote:Any idea of what I can do other than throw it in the bin? 
Oh no. Reading that really gets me reeling.
An educated guess would be that there could be a driver problem.

I know enough about computers to say that I'm sure I could solve the problem if I had the computer here with me.
By the way is it the laptop that's not working or the PC (a desktop?) I couldn't quite understand what you said.

Please don't throw it in the bin. There's enough computer hardware getting junked needlessly with corps like Apple and their planned obsolescence. The link below lists a bunch of places that will take it off your hands and do something good with it.

https://itforcharities.co.uk/it-services/recycled-pcs

I get the impression that you're not really into computers as a hobby and/or a political statement? Does jkn's suggestion of installing Linux, and being in control of your computer rather than the computer controlling you as it is with Windows, not intrigue you one bit?

12:56 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1833

Chubby Round Jowls wrote:
academichamilton wrote:Any idea of what I can do other than throw it in the bin? 

I know enough about computers to say that I'm sure I could solve the problem if I had the computer here with me.
By the way is it the laptop that's not working or the PC (a desktop?) I couldn't quite understand what you said.

Please don't throw it in the bin. There's enough computer hardware getting junked needlessly with corps like Apple and their planned obsolescence. The link below lists a bunch of places that will take it off your hands and do something good with it.

I get the impression that you're not really into computers as a hobby and/or a political statement? Does jkn's suggestion of installing Linux, and being in control of your computer rather than the computer controlling you as it is with Windows, not intrigue you one bit?
I manged to sort it in the end. The various Windows recovery options all failed but I noticed a back to factory setting options of the actual laptop in the recovery options so tried that and it worked presumably because HP had taken the trouble to store the factory version of Windows somewhere. I then went through the whole process of the updates again and this time it worked though the whole process took many hours and I lost a lot of data too. Though I have yet to really test it, there does seem to be a function now on this build that enables you to turn off the automatic download of updates.

I am interested in Linux for sure but just don't have the time to look into it. My main machine is actually a Mac and that is what I do all my creative work on but for work work I do all my admin on the PC, mainly at work but this laptop PC is for additional stuff associated with that.

Snowy

2:31 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1834

academichamilton wrote:

I manged to sort it in the end. The various Windows recovery options all failed but I noticed a back to factory setting options of the actual laptop in the recovery options so tried that and it worked presumably because HP had taken the trouble to store the factory version of Windows somewhere. I then went through the whole process of the updates again and this time it worked though the whole process took many hours and I lost a lot of data too. Though I have yet to really test it, there does seem to be a function now on this build that enables you to turn off the automatic download of updates.

I am interested in Linux for sure but just don't have the time to look into it. My main machine is actually a Mac and that is what I do all my creative work on but for work work I do all my admin on the PC, mainly at work but this laptop PC is for additional stuff associated with that.
Back it up. Hard drives dont last forever.

See ya mate. Yeah, see ya mate

Next Halt Mürren. End Station. Bitte Alle Austeigen

Bone idle c**t

A Worried Man

5:11 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1835

As someone who is thinking about buying a new laptop this sort of story fills me with dread. My current computer- touch wood- has been ok but updates constantly caused problems with the one before this.

I know this makes me a hopelessly unrealistic dreamer but I think if you've spent several hundred pounds on something it shouldn't be fucked up by an update. It should bloody work without you having to spend several evenings a month doing your own IT support.
a human-sized mass of bees that absorbed the soul of a Nazi

6:19 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1836

academichamilton wrote:
12:56 PM - Sep 24, 2018

Good to hear you got it sorted.

I haven't played with Apple's OSX for a few years now. My stepfather and mother always buy everything they need from Apple and have a desktop with OSX as well as various iThings. It is great for them and me. Up until about 10 years ago they had Windows and I would regularly be asked for help. These days they never have any problems since switching over.

If I recall correctly when Steve Jobs came back to Apple from NeXT in 1997 he changed the operating system that Apple used to the one that the NeXT computers used which is based on UNIX and that's what is still used in OSX. Tim Berners-Lee used a NeXT Computer to create the first web browser. When I first started trying Linux it would sometimes be called a poor man's Apple as Linux is UNIX-like.

Do you remember that bit in the first Jurassic Park film when the young girl Lex has to deal with a UNIX computer? "It's a UNIX system, I know this". Around the time it came out I had access at a local college to some UNIX computers. They cost £thousands at the time. Lovely machines. I love the 3D file browser that Lex uses in the film.

This is quite cool.
https://jurassicsystems.com

edit
Part of that last link included a video on Youtube that has since been removed by the way.
Last edited by Chubby Round Jowls on 6:22 PM - Sep 24, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

nairng

6:21 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1837

My laptop was totally fucked - wouldn't even start - and the IT dept in my work gave me lots of advice on what to look for in a new one and where to get it cheap as poss. They even managed to rescue all my shit off the old one & transfer it over. All they wanted was a box of biscuits!

So to those with laptop woes, remember all may not be lost. Befriend IT dept, or anyone who works in any IT dept, get the Tesco Finest in and remember to nod & smile as they 'explain' things to you
why have they got those masks on

HiccupPercy

6:33 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1838

academichamilton wrote:

I haven't played with Apple's OSX for a few years now. My stepfather and mother always buy everything they need from Apple and have a desktop with OSX as well as various iThings. It is great for them and me. Up until about 10 years ago they had Windows and I would regularly be asked for help. These days they never have any problems since switching over.

If I recall correctly when Steve Jobs came back to Apple from NeXT in 1997 he changed the operating system that Apple used to the one that the NeXT computers used which is based on UNIX and that's what is still used in OSX. Tim Berners-Lee used a NeXT Computer to create the first web browser. When I first started trying Linux it would sometimes be called a poor man's Apple as Linux is UNIX-like.

Do you remember that bit in the first Jurassic Park film when the young girl Lex has to deal with a UNIX computer? "It's a UNIX system, I know this". Around the time it came out I had access at a local college to some UNIX computers. They cost £thousands at the time. Lovely machines. I love the 3D file browser that Lex uses in the film.

This is quite cool.

edit
Part of that last link included a video on Youtube that has since been removed by the way.
The computer in Jurassic Park was a Silicon Graphics machine, I think an Indigo which would have been running IRIX, SGI's version of UNIX. I used these machines a lot in the 90s, in the late 90s prices for high end graphics cards fell so much they pretty much went out of business.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

6:59 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1839

Windows 10 started our alright, but the first yearly update made it worse for my 10 year old desktop.  I had to reinstall Windows 7 which is OK, but I dual boot, but if you are about to bung your computer install Linux Mint 19 Mate version.  I had some problems with Mint and went to Lubuntu (light version of Ubuntu) but Mint 19 is great.  It will be the fastest internet experience you have ever had if you use Windows - comes installed with Firefox but you can install Chrome - no antivirus holding things up for a start although there is a Linux anti-virus programme to scan any files you might download or be sent.   Load of free programs and these days it has great Windows gaming support via Steam I am told.  The only thing it won't work on for me is Channel 4 on demand which is no great loss really.
Not everyone's cup of tea.

7:15 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1840

HiccupPercy wrote:
academichamilton wrote:

This is quite cool.

edit
The computer in Jurassic Park was a Silicon Graphics machine, I think an Indigo which would have been running IRIX, SGI's version of UNIX. I used these machines a lot in the 90s, in the late 90s prices for high end graphics cards fell so much they pretty much went out of business.
I think was vaguely aware that Macs changed over to UNIX at some point. It is really hard to like Apple these days but their machines are very good and I have never updated a single thing on my current machine nearly three years into its life and it all works fine. Trouble with Macs are that when you buy a new one everything has changed, again. I am dreading the whole USB-C thing and all the hassle of changing every connector I have and then seeing whether any of my external hardware actually works any more. Microsoft does not generally do this to their customers and to be fair Windows 10 actually works very well, when it is working at all, better than any Windows version so far but this update stuff is infuriating.

I also used a Silicone Graphics machine many years ago, and an Acorn which was also great.

HiccupPercy

8:06 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1841

academichamilton wrote:
HiccupPercy wrote:
academichamilton wrote:

This is quite cool.

edit
I think was vaguely aware that Macs changed over to UNIX at some point. It is really hard to like Apple these days but their machines are very good and I have never updated a single thing on my current machine nearly three years into its life and it all works fine. Trouble with Macs are that when you buy a new one everything has changed, again. I am dreading the whole USB-C thing and all the hassle of changing every connector I have and then seeing whether any of my external hardware actually works any more. Microsoft does not generally do this to their customers and to be fair Windows 10 actually works very well, when it is working at all, better than any Windows version so far but this update stuff is infuriating.

I also used a Silicone Graphics machine many years ago, and an Acorn which was also great.
It is an absolute blessing that Microsoft software does not run on Microsoft hardware.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

huh
huh

8:17 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1842

High Tension Line wrote: Windows 7
Now you're talking. Runs like a dream, still.

Snowy

8:34 PM - Sep 24, 2018 #1843

huh wrote:
High Tension Line wrote: Windows 7
Now you're talking. Runs like a dream, still.
I used to have Windows 7 on my old PC and was hugely sceptical of Windows 10 but when I upgraded to a new faster PC, I must say it runs like a dream (all the snoop stuff is turned off obvs)

See ya mate. Yeah, see ya mate

Next Halt Mürren. End Station. Bitte Alle Austeigen

Bone idle c**t

8:49 AM - Sep 25, 2018 #1844

HiccupPercy wrote:
6:33 PM - Sep 24, 2018
academichamilton wrote:

This is quite cool.

edit
IRIX, that's the one. Couldn't recall it off the top of my head. Even the hardware looked nice at the time when DOS computers were all beige and/or yellowing from age.
Amigas were fun as well for the games and what you could do with those video toasters.
I think there's SGI chips in the Nintendo 64 and SGI computers were used to develop many Nintendo 64 games such as Rare's Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.
I think the first time I got a graphics card for a Windows PC and fit it myself was for the game Half-Life in the late 1990s.