Brix & the Extricated's new jam

Brix & the Extricated's new jam

junk-man

05 Jan 2017, 21:01 #1

They played a new song by these guys this eve, glammy attitude rocker type thing, I quite liked it! It was on Marc Riley, the episode (Thursday the 5th) will go up here soon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00c72y ... des/player

tim
tim

05 Jan 2017, 21:35 #2

yep

new Riley session next thursday 12th jan
that they be on

wonder if she'll mention the film of book book of film ,apparently now a reality

who will play who etc

time to retrieve old charcoal grey spiral t.shirt from '85 if i can find it
wonder if it still fits me
in case needed for crowd extra scenes - i'm ready for my close up now mr
figgis

--------------------------
whadya mean , they've come ta see me , not you

mrdi
mrdi

06 Jan 2017, 12:30 #3

Sting will be in the film wielding a Fender P, obv.
GET THE FUCKIN' SONG GOING YOU FUCKIN' CUNTS

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR POSTPONED, WEST HAM UNITED 1-H

HiccupPercy

06 Jan 2017, 14:44 #4

You can't put threads about Birx in this section. :devil2:
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

junk-man

06 Jan 2017, 15:39 #5

I shall defer to the mods - they can move it if they will, I thought it might get kicked over here if I put it in the Fall section

Edit: Oh! Rinsing my spelling is it? I get jokes!

06 Jan 2017, 17:11 #6

The single is the demo version apparently.

LP version (in remix form) being circulated atm.

Song is a rather caustic take on life with MES, dontcha think?
As if to drive home the point, she pronounces "smithereens" as "Smith-er-eens".

Grimo

09 Jan 2017, 06:54 #7

It's a Fall pastiche which she hopes will give her the credibility and artistic acceptance she has always craved. Its all very well doing twisted faux tribute songs now. but its well After The Fact. None of the members have anything new to bring to music; all of them - except JB - owe MES more than they will ever admit.

Hope it makes them fulfilled!

09 Jan 2017, 07:51 #8

Grimo @ Jan 9 2017, 09:54 AM wrote: None of the members have anything new to bring to music
Neither has the current "Group", apparently.

09 Jan 2017, 11:37 #9

Grimo @ Jan 9 2017, 06:54 PM wrote: It's a Fall pastiche which she hopes will give her the credibility and artistic acceptance she has always craved. Its all very well doing twisted faux tribute songs now. but its well After The Fact. None of the members have anything new to bring to music; all of them - except JB - owe MES more than they will ever admit.

A+ post

09 Jan 2017, 17:12 #10

Grimo @ Jan 9 2017, 06:54 PM wrote: It's a Fall pastiche which she hopes will give her the credibility and artistic acceptance she has always craved. Its all very well doing twisted faux tribute songs now. but its well After The Fact. None of the members have anything new to bring to music; all of them - except JB - owe MES more than they will ever admit.

It must be terribly sad to go through life a miserable cunt.

I've got news for you: there is far more interest amongst the general public in what this band is doing than in hearing the latest Dave Spurr composition lemmetellya.

Grimo

09 Jan 2017, 20:44 #11

RoderickPlething @ Jan 10 2017, 05:12 AM wrote:
Grimo @ Jan 9 2017, 06:54 PM wrote: It's a Fall pastiche which she hopes will give her the credibility and artistic acceptance she has always craved.  Its all very well doing twisted faux tribute songs now. but its well After The Fact.  None of the members have anything new to bring to music; all of them - except JB - owe MES more than they will ever admit.

I've got news for you: there is far more interest amongst the general public in what this band is doing than in hearing the latest Dave Spurr composition lemmetellya.
Hello RoderickPlething,

Mine was an opinion and not offensive. I wish them well.

Yours was emotional - with an unwarranted, offensive claim that I "go through life as a miserable cunt".

Quite funny as it is the polar opposite of me...

General public? Yes, there will be interest. The singer plays the business well and she "businesses" well. Of course there will be success. That is not my main point. My main point is that there is and there will be very little originality. I may be wrong, and if so I will eat my words. Unlike you, probably.

The song is completely derivative. Fine I guess as most acts are. Many years ago, and sometimes now, MES and the gang produce non-derivative work. Truly original work - with a band that is/was his and in which he created the space for members to shine. Autocrat, despot, thief, or not, he was the leader and responsible for the band rising and falling. That there is variance in their latter-day output is to be expected for a number of reasons.

But as an artist - primitive, offensive, or not, - he created new form.

I hope BATE rock hard on Riley's show this week. Will be entertaining, that's for sure.

IanMcC

09 Jan 2017, 21:16 #12

Grimo @ Jan 10 2017, 08:44 AM wrote:
RoderickPlething @ Jan 10 2017, 05:12 AM wrote:
Grimo @ Jan 9 2017, 06:54 PM wrote: It's a Fall pastiche which she hopes will give her the credibility and artistic acceptance she has always craved.  Its all very well doing twisted faux tribute songs now. but its well After The Fact.  None of the members have anything new to bring to music; all of them - except JB - owe MES more than they will ever admit.

Hello RoderickPlething,

Mine was an opinion and not offensive. I wish them well.

Yours was emotional - with an unwarranted, offensive claim that I "go through life as a miserable cunt".

Quite funny as it is the polar opposite of me...

General public? Yes, there will be interest. The singer plays the business well and she "businesses" well. Of course there will be success. That is not my main point. My main point is that there is and there will be very little originality. I may be wrong, and if so I will eat my words. Unlike you, probably.

The song is completely derivative. Fine I guess as most acts are. Many years ago, and sometimes now, MES and the gang produce non-derivative work. Truly original work - with a band that is/was his and in which he created the space for members to shine. Autocrat, despot, thief, or not, he was the leader and responsible for the band rising and falling. That there is variance in their latter-day output is to be expected for a number of reasons.

But as an artist - primitive, offensive, or not, - he created new form.

I hope BATE rock hard on Riley's show this week. Will be entertaining, that's for sure.
None of the members have anything new to bring to music

You are incorrect. The above is offensive.

I find the vitriol against Brix and her band, on this site, upsetting and somewhat, dare I say, offensive. If it was MES fronting the same band you would be creaming your fucking pants. So why dont you live and let live..........
Hurrah for Mix It Up.

Grimo

09 Jan 2017, 23:34 #13

Ian Mc,

Thanks for the opinion. If you noted more carefully, I wished them well in their venture and did not write in a vitriolic manner. As 'art' I question their worth; as 'product', they supply a need. As 'people', I hope they are as happy as you or me (and I am very happy. and not the 'miserable cunt' claimed above!). I hope they play well on Riley.

I would certainly not be 'creaming my pants' if MES fronted the band. The present Fall are fine as they are. My problem with latterday Fall has been Smiths comparatively less engaging use of words; not the musicians.

Ex Fall musicians can and have produced original music worthy of being dubbed 'art'. Bramah, and Riley, for sure; Nagle in her bands. But not Brix, yet. She has the desire. so she may do yet.

10 Jan 2017, 00:07 #14

Grimo @ Jan 9 2017, 07:54 AM wrote: It's a Fall pastiche which she hopes will give her the credibility and artistic acceptance she has always craved. Its all very well doing twisted faux tribute songs now. but its well After The Fact. None of the members have anything new to bring to music; all of them - except JB - owe MES more than they will ever admit.

Surely the thing is that it can only really be pastiche if it isn't The Fall doing it. Brix's group is made up of 3/4 ex-Fall members of serious standing. They are 'The Fall' in one sense i.e. a variation of the group's actual past and avery signfiicant one. The way you comment, it's as if this is some kind of completely different group taking-off the Fall.

When it comes to the originality of what they did in the past, you assume that is basically all Smith's doing neglecting the fact that a heck of a lot of it was these musician's own original work. They were as much the Fall's sound then as Smith was. So yes carrying on doing that sort of thing now minus Smith is not original in the grand scheme of things but it is original to them because they were a major part of its origination. It isn't therefore derivative.

Smith's absence does of course make it weird.
EXCEPT

Grimo

10 Jan 2017, 00:36 #15

That is a very good comment and there is much truth to it. It cannot be denied that two of the members played a major role in the origination and evolution of the Fall sound. You could easlly claim though that the singing style is definitely derivative in this song. Deliberately so.

A point to ponder is how much the 'sound' was created and formed by 'the presence' of Smith. Would Hanley, Brix, and all have come up with such a definable sound without his demented non musical prompts? I severely doubt it. They would have gone for a Psychedelic Furs type sound. Tried and tested formulae.

If you have seen the footage of Smith in rehearsal rooms, have heard the Elastica songs and the Inspiral one, you hear very similar sounds, right? He may not be creating the movements which make the instrumental sounds, but he does or did shape the sound by his presence - malevolent and contrary as it is/was - and also, of course, by the interaction between his voice and sound.

Must dash. Thanks for the post.

R. Totale

10 Jan 2017, 09:42 #16

RoderickPlething @ Jan 9 2017, 06:12 PM wrote:

I was speaking to the general public this morning and they are all in agreement with you. A unanimous enthusiasm for Brix. Complete blank on the Wise Ol' Man ep. -_-

10 Jan 2017, 10:37 #17

Grimo @ Jan 10 2017, 01:36 AM wrote: A point to ponder is how much the 'sound' was created and formed by 'the presence' of Smith. Would Hanley, Brix, and all have come up with such a definable sound without his demented non musical prompts?
Quite possibly not. But that works both ways. He would not have created The Fall sound on his own without them.

There is sometimes a sense that it's Smith and some interchangeable musicians who he moulds to be the group. Maybe it has been that at times and increasingly so as time has worn on. But from the late 70s on for a lot of years, the group's sound was initiated by those playing the instruments and moulded by the interaction with and ideas of Smith. They came up with the music based on the post-punk sounds of the time - in many ways they were the epitome of post-punk but they didn't create it, neither did Smith, it was around anyway. They just had a unique take on it.

It is still essentially the same. The current group are a sort of pastiche of that music. They still sound like 'The Fall' and I think a lot of that is because they feel that is what they should sound like, presumably under the watchful eye of Smith.

Brix is in a different position taking on the vocals. It's almost an impossible task really and makes the group an odd one, perhaps doomed to ultimate failure. But then I listen to The Fall and also quite often think - this really isn't working any more: the band are an ersatz one and Smith is incapable, his mere presence apparently making up for everything.
EXCEPT

10 Jan 2017, 11:07 #18

to me, its a question of intent.

one, professional, good, reliable, safe.

the other, unpredictable, difficult, erratic, singular.

depends what you prefer. personally i'm not that fussed about 'good'

10 Jan 2017, 12:29 #19

Yes this makes sense. I guess at one time The Fall were both consistently 'good' and the other things you privilege. I think basically, I'm looking for both in music and struggle with 'unpredictable, difficult, erratic, singular' without it also being 'good', at least a fair bit of the time. Otherwise it can come across as hollow or more like conceptual art, something I tend to struggle with. I like the craft too, a lot.
EXCEPT

junk-man

10 Jan 2017, 17:42 #20

academichamilton @ Jan 11 2017, 12:29 AM wrote: Yes this makes sense. I guess at one time The Fall were both consistently 'good' and the other things you privilege. I think basically, I'm looking for both in music and struggle with 'unpredictable, difficult, erratic, singular' without it also being 'good', at least a fair bit of the time. Otherwise it can come across as hollow or more like conceptual art, something I tend to struggle with. I like the craft too, a lot.
I'm in this camp. The Fall's stuff has seemed increasingly, at best, to be compelling shells containing nothing. You can have a tune like Auto Chip which is great musically, and has a promising vocal hook ("Suffering!" - ooh, what's this about? Could be all manner of strange/dark things!), but on closer inspection it seems to be yet another hollow moan about other bands.

I do prize originality, but not at the expense of depth/tunes - and if the tunes are strong enough, I don't need it at all. Something to Lose does sound in danger of being underwhelming at first, but really takes off for the chorus (to my ears).

dannyno
dannyno

11 Jan 2017, 07:47 #21

junk-man @ Jan 6 2017, 04:39 PM wrote: I shall defer to the mods - they can move it if they will, I thought it might get kicked over here if I put it in the Fall section

Edit: Oh! Rinsing my spelling is it? I get jokes!
The thing is, up in Fall-Related we have Fall-Related Discussion, Fall Reviews and Fall Polls.

The latter two, notice, are not Fall-Related Reviews or Fall-Related Polls.

This means we can discuss Brix and the Extricated's "new jam" in Fall-Related Discussion, but reviews of it and polls about it have to stay down here in the General Section.

You *could* have put this thread in Fall-Related Discussion, but sadly you made a tactical error.

I will however correct the spelling.

Dan

R. Totale

11 Jan 2017, 09:17 #22

academichamilton @ Jan 10 2017, 11:37 AM wrote:
Grimo @ Jan 10 2017, 01:36 AM wrote: A point to ponder is how much the 'sound' was created and formed by 'the presence' of Smith.  Would Hanley, Brix, and all have come up with such a definable sound without his demented non musical prompts?
Quite possibly not. But that works both ways. He would not have created The Fall sound on his own without them.
The Fall are usually good whoever's in the band. The Hanley/Scanlan band were crucial but no better overall than other line-ups. I prefer Kieron and Daren to funky Si, but that doesn't impact hugely on my impression of The Fall who are a band musically directed by Mark E. Smith. This is why their best material is consistent across different line-ups and the riffs sound like Fall riffs no matter who plays them.

Calling your band after an album by your ex's band made after you left is just childish IMO. Especially when the title refers to the end of their relationship.

11 Jan 2017, 09:31 #23

R. Totale @ Jan 11 2017, 10:17 AM wrote:
academichamilton @ Jan 10 2017, 11:37 AM wrote:
Grimo @ Jan 10 2017, 01:36 AM wrote: A point to ponder is how much the 'sound' was created and formed by 'the presence' of Smith.  Would Hanley, Brix, and all have come up with such a definable sound without his demented non musical prompts?
The Fall are usually good whoever's in the band. The Hanley/Scanlan band were crucial but no better overall than other line-ups. I prefer Kieron and Daren to funky Si, but that doesn't impact hugely on my impression of The Fall who are a band musically directed by Mark E. Smith. This is why their best material is consistent across different line-ups and the riffs sound like Fall riffs no matter who plays them.

Calling your band after an album by your ex's band made after you left is just childish IMO. Especially when the title refers to the end of their relationship.
Yeah but the Hanley's and those who preceded them engineered the Fall sound (and Brix a bit later modifying it to a more commercial style for the first time) that has persisted ever since. That's my point - all versions of the group are basically repeating that ('a Fall riff always sounds like a Fall riff'), obviously with lots of variation. If they didn't, it wouldn't really be The Fall (or only in name i.e. a group fronted by Smith) and that essence of the Fall is as much those earlier musician's work as Smith. But his role became quickly crucial in continuing and developing the sound along with whoever was in the group.
EXCEPT

799thJim

12 Jan 2017, 20:02 #24

Just listening to Marc Riley's show, only heard one song of theirs (alright) and a decent version of Lay of the Land - not as good as the original, obviously. Made up for that other one he played that sounded like a muddy Cerebral Caustic out-take :blink:
"Gone to the rottweillers. But, not a lot"

Music: http://sleeplessbeachmusic.bandcamp.com (New Music up 14/04/16)

DJAsh

13 Jan 2017, 07:36 #25

I thought the first track was Blondie-esque.
FLICKERING BOLIVIAN

No diggin' ere!