"Wait. We're at 30k feet. What's the plan to get us off safely?"
"Getting off means getting off"
"What does that mean?"
"We're negotiating parachutes but it may be a no-parachute deal"

Divvey
Divvey

9:52 PM - Sep 19, 2018 #3753

Food banks and soup kitchens are so thrilling
Righteous Fred wrote:I like the uncertainty of it all. Certainty in life is so boring. 

sigma2

11:10 PM - Sep 19, 2018 #3754

Divvey wrote: Food banks and soup kitchens are so thrilling
Righteous Fred wrote:I like the uncertainty of it all. Certainty in life is so boring. 
Fred, you could start by letting go of the 'certainty' that it has to be done, come what may. A little doubt in that direction would be helpful.
Elitist Ponce

Divvey
Divvey

1:38 AM - Sep 20, 2018 #3755

If anybody could tell how it would work, that's a start

dannyno
dannyno

6:57 AM - Sep 20, 2018 #3756

academichamilton wrote: Coming into Waterloo (not my photo)

The owner of Pimlico Plumbers is of course Charlie Mullins:  http://www.pimlicoplumbers.com/blog/vin ... -abhorrent.  He was one of the funders of Gina Miller's court case.  He's also a Tory party donor, which is interesting. Or maybe an ex-Tory party donor.

Dan

7:04 AM - Sep 20, 2018 #3757

It is, but the whole leaving the EU thing has never been split along party lines.
"... a shiftless person, roving and magotie-headed, and sometimes little better than crased."

dannyno
dannyno

7:06 AM - Sep 20, 2018 #3758

Aubrey The Cat wrote: It is, but the whole leaving the EU thing has never been split along party lines.
True!

Dan

7:31 AM - Sep 20, 2018 #3759

It is becoming increasingly so, though.

Here is Dominic Rabb deciding not to bother with his actual job for a while and trying to score off Labour; also trying to shift any blame for the mess that will inevitably happen when he fucks up:

Last edited by Aubrey The Cat on 8:31 AM - Sep 20, 2018, edited 2 times in total.
"... a shiftless person, roving and magotie-headed, and sometimes little better than crased."

7:38 AM - Sep 20, 2018 #3760

Has anyone thought about the idea that the solution to this is that we start our own alternative EU? Quite a few countries are pretty pissed-off with he current one so why not a new one based around trade and stuff, like the old EEC? 

12:50 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3761

academichamilton wrote: Has anyone thought about the idea that the solution to this is that we start our own alternative EU? Quite a few countries are pretty pissed-off with he current one so why not a new one based around trade and stuff, like the old EEC? 
It would be worthy of consideration.  Yes, and an EU wide referendum on it.  Now that would be a 2nd referendum worth havingI  I wonder what the result would be.   

I suspect this idea would have the EU bureaucrats and the EUrophiles spluttering out their coffee - a far bigger threat than Brexit.  

Some of the EU leaders and bureaucrats remind me of those communist leaders in the 80s extolling the virtues, principles and eventual triumph of their system  - a couple of years or so before the Berlin Wall came down.  
Not everyone's cup of tea.

sigma2

1:43 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3762

High Tension Line wrote:Some of the EU leaders and bureaucrats remind me of those communist leaders in the 80s extolling the virtues, principles and eventual triumph of their system  - a couple of years or so before the Berlin Wall came down.  
And the Brexiteers are the fascists that inherited power on the ruins of the Soviet system, like Orban, Putin et al.
Elitist Ponce

sigma2

1:45 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3763

academichamilton wrote: Has anyone thought about the idea that the solution to this is that we start our own alternative EU? Quite a few countries are pretty pissed-off with he current one so why not a new one based around trade and stuff, like the old EEC? 
You remind me of the guys whose solution to the 'Europe problem' is the re-instatement of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Elitist Ponce

7:58 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3764

Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Righteous Fred wrote: I like the uncertainty of it all. Certainty in life is so boring. 
Isn't everything going to be great?
Scotch cockney cunt

8:37 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3765

How does that work then? Uncertainly; and then it will kill you.

8:40 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3766

“As for Brexit, the result was magnificent, but it is not accepted by the BBC or Sky News because they object to a public that cannot be hypnotised by BBC or Sky nonsense.” - Morrissey

Plenty more here-
https://inews.co.uk/culture/morrisseys- ... al-quotes/
Last edited by Righteous Fred on 8:55 PM - Sep 20, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Scotch cockney cunt

8:41 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3767

Aubrey The Cat wrote: How does that work then? Uncertainly; and then it will kill you.
If it is right, it is right, and to hang with the consequences.

I live by that.
Scotch cockney cunt

9:45 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3768

Righteous Fred wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote: How does that work then? Uncertainly; and then it will kill you.

I live by that.
You keep coming out with these grand statements as if they mean something; they don't; they mean fuck all, and don't justify anything - although, to be fair, they're no worse than anything else I've heard from your lot.

If you want to jump over a cliff I can't stop you; but you might at least have the decency not to take the rest of us with you.

10:02 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3769

Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Righteous Fred wrote:

I live by that.
You keep coming out with these grand statements as if they mean something; they don't; they mean fuck all, and don't justify anything - although, to be fair, they're no worse than anything else I've heard from your lot.

If you want to jump over a cliff I can't stop you; but you might at least have the decency not to take the rest of us with you.
The majority of us voted to leave, without conditions. You have until the 29th March to move to another European Union country under freedom of movement if you don't like it.
Last edited by Righteous Fred on 10:06 PM - Sep 20, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Scotch cockney cunt

10:05 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3770

High Tension Line wrote: July 6 2016

It will be tough over the next couple of years to stop taking the piss out of the whining ponces endlessly bleating about how terrible it is the UK didn't vote Remain.   :devil:
I think it's fair to say I've failed there.  
Not everyone's cup of tea.

dannyno
dannyno

10:09 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3771

Righteous Fred wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Righteous Fred wrote: I like the uncertainty of it all. Certainty in life is so boring. 
Isn't everything going to be great?
Oh, that fatuous Bukowski quote again.   Absolute drivel.

Dan

dannyno
dannyno

10:20 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3772

Righteous Fred wrote:

I live by that.
And that's the problem, isn't it?  Because sometimes those consequences are on other people.

"If it is right, it is right" is not going to stand up to scrutiny.  Things are generally right or wrong not because some divine revelation tells us so, but because of what the intended consequences are.  It's why lying is sometimes the morally right thing to do.  It's why we use our judgement in every walk of life and every human activity.

Most people who voted for Brexit voted for Brexit because they believe things will be better.  Sometimes that might be better in some abstract sense, but quite often people were after specific gains.   Maybe, "fewer foreign people", maybe "more democratic national control of the economy".    Some people are going to get what they wanted.   Others are not.  They're going to find that there isn't going to be more money for the NHS, or that freedom of movement isn't going to be abolished, or petty regulation isn't going to go away.   And some of those people are going to feel that they made a mistake.

I'm not in favour of re-running the referendum.   But I'm also not against making sure that if there's going to be a deal, that it is subject to democratic scrutiny.    

Dan

sigma2

12:21 AM - Sep 21, 2018 #3773

Righteous Fred wrote: If it is right,
It ain't.
Elitist Ponce

6:30 AM - Sep 21, 2018 #3774

Righteous Fred wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Righteous Fred wrote:

I live by that.

The majority of us voted to leave, without conditions. You have until the 29th March to move to another European Union country under freedom of movement if you don't like it.
And hang the consequences, whatever they are, eh?

The majority of "us" did not vote to leave the EU without conditions; even if you think the question can be reduced to a few words, and even if you think the illegal spending of the leave campaign (using secret fund from Russia), the people it will affect the most were not even allowed a vote.

A Worried Man

6:45 AM - Sep 21, 2018 #3775

Righteous Fred wrote:
Aubrey The Cat wrote:
Righteous Fred wrote:

I live by that.

Ha! Love it or leave it. I wondered when we would get to that.
a human-sized mass of bees that absorbed the soul of a Nazi