Blindness v. Garden

which qualifies for The Final?
Joined: Nov 25 2012, 07:22 PM

Dec 9 2015, 07:27 PM #51

Not a huge fan of Garden but it's better than Blindness. It is a shame that Blindness is the sole survivor of more contemporary Fall as as has been pointed out there are lots of much more recent things that are far better that I would have voted for over Garden

bzfgt
Moderator
bzfgt
Moderator
Joined: Dec 7 2012, 03:12 AM

Dec 9 2015, 09:05 PM #52

academichamilton @ Dec 9 2015, 11:27 AM wrote: Not a huge fan of Garden but it's better than Blindness. It is a shame that Blindness is the sole survivor of more contemporary Fall as as has been pointed out there are lots of much more recent things that are far better that I would have voted for over Garden
Yeah, I love Blindness but it's not the best (semi-)contemporary thing they've done by my lights either.

R. Totale
Member
Joined: Jan 21 2004, 11:39 AM

Dec 10 2015, 09:15 AM #53

academichamilton @ Dec 9 2015, 08:27 PM wrote: Not a huge fan of Garden but it's better than Blindness. It is a shame that Blindness is the sole survivor of more contemporary Fall as as has been pointed out there are lots of much more recent things that are far better that I would have voted for over Garden
I do agree with this. However Blindness was just about the best thing by the early Noughties line-up.
"The Gruppe is generally more cheerful, 'cos I'm fucking dying!"

Joined: Aug 7 2013, 06:36 PM

Dec 10 2015, 10:43 AM #54

Blindness is indeed the best thing from that line-up but it was a very short-lived line-up and one that lost its mojo as soon as Watts walked.

Still, YMMV etc.
http://hippriestess.tumblr.com/

Blog revived for MES tribute - "Fantastic Life: The 20 Greatest Fall Songs In No Order Whatsoever."

robbroncs
Member
Joined: Apr 8 2005, 11:38 PM

Dec 10 2015, 10:57 AM #55

"who's gonna play me in the movie? STING!"

elvischomsky
Member
Joined: Jan 13 2006, 04:26 PM

Dec 10 2015, 11:04 AM #56

Blindness - live at Hove!!!!!!!!
'A good man and loyal' MES 2014.

I've never met a Fall fan I did like.

Neal Cassady
Member
Joined: Dec 8 2005, 11:05 AM

Dec 10 2015, 04:23 PM #57


Parsley says a vote for Garden is a vote for fun!
I'm not that good at smoking bongs, I'm not that good at breathing in.

Saveloy
Member
Joined: Nov 27 2003, 12:24 PM

Dec 10 2015, 09:08 PM #58

I was a hoe's length away from Pippa Greenwood yesterday. Therefore GARDEN.


tempertantrum
Member
Joined: Mar 16 2015, 03:43 PM

Dec 11 2015, 08:17 AM #59

Saveloy @ Dec 11 2015, 09:08 AM wrote: I was a hoe's length away from Pippa Greenwood yesterday. Therefore GARDEN.

All reasons are valid as long as it's Garden.
We are not adults, we are crusty mystics

Buy Kurious
Member
Joined: Mar 24 2006, 07:48 PM

Dec 11 2015, 11:21 AM #60

They only played Garden 60 times live, which I think was because they were so profoundly bored and ashamed of it; whereas Blindness has so far been done 178 times live and still counting.
If they played Garden live now the crowd would think "O noes! Not Garden!?", but every time they start Blindness the crowd all think "YES!"

I think these incontrovertible facts speak for themselves. -_-
"We really made a groovy team but now alone I dream dream dream dream dream..."

RIP EC

robbroncs
Member
Joined: Apr 8 2005, 11:38 PM

Dec 11 2015, 01:30 PM #61

Buy Kurious! @ Dec 11 2015, 11:21 PM wrote: They only played Garden 60 times live, which I think was because they were so profoundly bored and ashamed of it; whereas Blindness has so far been done 178 times live and still counting.
If they played Garden live now the crowd would think "O noes! Not Garden!?", but every time they start Blindness the crowd all think "YES!"

I think these incontrovertible facts speak for themselves. -_-
he'd remember 6 lines and mumble, moan and growl the rest
"who's gonna play me in the movie? STING!"

Joined: Mar 9 2011, 08:15 AM

Dec 11 2015, 02:49 PM #62

Just listened to 84 Hacienda live version & bitterly regret voting for Blindness. And I was at that gig!

"Stop those lights flashing before I break your fucking neck".

R. Totale
Member
Joined: Jan 21 2004, 11:39 AM

Dec 11 2015, 02:55 PM #63

Peter Cook's Jokes @ Dec 11 2015, 03:49 PM wrote: Just listened to 84 Hacienda live version & bitterly regret voting for Blindness.
Excellent! The Elite just need to do what the Tories did at the last election and make more people vote for Blindness by accident.

:devil:
"The Gruppe is generally more cheerful, 'cos I'm fucking dying!"

Joined: Mar 9 2011, 08:15 AM

Dec 11 2015, 03:18 PM #64

R. Totale @ Dec 12 2015, 02:55 AM wrote:
Peter Cook's Jokes @ Dec 11 2015, 03:49 PM wrote: Just listened to 84 Hacienda live version & bitterly regret voting for Blindness.
Excellent! The Elite just need to do what the Tories did at the last election and make more people vote for Blindness by accident.

:devil:
There is a dogged driving relentlessness in both songs which actually makes this a really tough choice.

See what flows
From
His slushy pen

R. Totale
Member
Joined: Jan 21 2004, 11:39 AM

Dec 11 2015, 04:06 PM #65

Peter Cook's Jokes @ Dec 11 2015, 04:18 PM wrote:
R. Totale @ Dec 12 2015, 02:55 AM wrote:
Peter Cook's Jokes @ Dec 11 2015, 03:49 PM wrote: Just listened to 84 Hacienda live version & bitterly regret voting for Blindness.
Excellent! The Elite just need to do what the Tories did at the last election and make more people vote for Blindness by accident.

:devil:
There is a dogged driving relentlessness in both songs which actually makes this a really tough choice.

See what flows
From
His slushy pen
If I had only ever heard the Peel Garden and not the PBL one, I could have well have gone for Garden.

Likewise had only the FHR Blindness existed.
"The Gruppe is generally more cheerful, 'cos I'm fucking dying!"

Joined: Nov 25 2012, 07:22 PM

Dec 11 2015, 07:41 PM #66

Buy Kurious! @ Dec 11 2015, 12:21 PM wrote: They only played Garden 60 times live, which I think was because they were so profoundly bored and ashamed of it; whereas Blindness has so far been done 178 times live and still counting.
If they played Garden live now the crowd would think "O noes! Not Garden!?", but every time they start Blindness the crowd all think "YES!"

I think these incontrovertible facts speak for themselves. -_-
60 times doesn't say shame and boredom to me. 6 might!

Neal Cassady
Member
Joined: Dec 8 2005, 11:05 AM

Dec 11 2015, 07:48 PM #67

I wonder how many times I've listened to Garden :unsure:
I'd guess at least 1000. Still more than happy to tap along to the drum beat on my steering wheel, as per 20 minutes ago.
I'm not that good at smoking bongs, I'm not that good at breathing in.

purple_prince
Member
Joined: Aug 10 2015, 12:47 PM

Dec 11 2015, 07:48 PM #68

academichamilton @ Dec 12 2015, 07:41 AM wrote:
Buy Kurious! @ Dec 11 2015, 12:21 PM wrote: They only played Garden 60 times live, which I think was because they were so profoundly bored and ashamed of it; whereas Blindness has so far been done 178 times live and still counting.
If they played Garden live now the crowd would think "O noes! Not Garden!?", but every time they start Blindness the crowd all think "YES!"

I think these incontrovertible facts speak for themselves. -_-
60 times doesn't say shame and boredom to me. 6 might!
In any case, two words suggest that this is a flawed argument: 'Mr' and 'Pharmacist'.

Tent
Member
Tent
Member
Joined: Feb 18 2013, 09:41 PM

Dec 12 2015, 02:29 PM #69

And my vote for Blindness evens things up.

Jim Kidder
Member
Joined: Oct 24 2007, 06:53 PM

Dec 12 2015, 03:02 PM #70

I like both songs, but wouldn't put either in my Fall top 20.

These days I'd rather hear Blindness so that's the way I'll vote.
becoming more maladjusted by the minute

Joined: Jan 31 2008, 01:57 PM

Dec 13 2015, 11:36 AM #71

A Worried Man,Apr 25 2017, 12:18 AM

"GFR is being a prick."

damoncreed
Member
Joined: Feb 22 2005, 12:45 AM

Dec 14 2015, 12:33 AM #72

R. Totale @ Dec 9 2015, 01:36 AM wrote: Seriously though, if you were going to convert someone new to the Fall, you're going to put on Blindness aren't you? Garden is not going to excite the youth of today.
That's a whole different poll/cup question. In this one, it's Garden. And with that, it's 50-50.
"Not like that bastard gas, butane."
Twitter: @dj_damoncreed
Mixcloud: https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_damoncreed/

DeusErac
Member
Joined: Jun 21 2007, 01:24 PM

Dec 14 2015, 03:38 AM #73

All we ever wanted was sanitary plumbing, straight roads, and a sense of belonging to a community of interest that could reasonably call itself civilized. (Charles Hayward)

jericsmith.com

steviejoex
Member
Joined: Feb 11 2005, 06:31 AM

Dec 14 2015, 08:49 AM #74

Blindness. Especially peel session. No contest

wearethedead
Member
Joined: Jul 13 2008, 10:34 PM

Dec 14 2015, 12:29 PM #75

THE BEST FIRMS ADVERTISE THE LEAST...♥