Well, lets take a look at next season

Well, lets take a look at next season

The Pucks
The Pucks

March 21st, 2005, 5:36 am #1

GM and Coach, god I hope there are some real hockey men on the horizon for this team.

20 year olds:
M Zimmer
C Patterson
B Parker
D Featherstone
K Deines
D Byfuglien

I would go with the 1st 3, dump Feathersone and Deines and try to deal Byfuglien to somebody in the east.

19 year olds:
S Bowles
C Cooper
T Feakes
E Hunter
J Johnson
A Rogers
B Stengler

18 year olds:
J Bray
R Cyr
N Drazenovic
G Gardner
D Gendur
R Gillen

17 year olds:
M Berube
E Fuller
T Wishart

The 3 reasons for hope next season in my opinion are Eric Hunter, Nicholas Drazenovic and Real Cyr. If they can take the next step, they have the skill set to give us 3 high quality players would could cary this team along ways.

The 3 reason for concern next season are GM, Coach and the overagers. The 1st 2 have been beaten to deal, the the overagers have to step up big time. If it is Zimmer, Parker and Patterson, we need all 3 to be around a point a game. Last summer I would have said no problem, but now I wonder. I hope Zimmer goes home with some fire in his belly, and comes back ready to prove he is a much better player than this season showed him to be.

The Euro situation? Is it to much to hope for drafting one or 2 guys who can actually play? My lord if we could just get lucky. Did we burn up all the luck with Zdeno and now the hockey gods are going to make us pay?

Brewer, Chara, Hamhuis, ahhh the memories.

The Pucks
The Pucks

March 21st, 2005, 5:53 am #2

Ryan Kerr, Lance Redden, Andrew Cherniwchan, Tyler Gron,

How did they progress this season, how are things looking?

Sec. W
Sec. W

March 21st, 2005, 5:58 am #3

GM and Coach, god I hope there are some real hockey men on the horizon for this team.

20 year olds:
M Zimmer
C Patterson
B Parker
D Featherstone
K Deines
D Byfuglien

I would go with the 1st 3, dump Feathersone and Deines and try to deal Byfuglien to somebody in the east.

19 year olds:
S Bowles
C Cooper
T Feakes
E Hunter
J Johnson
A Rogers
B Stengler

18 year olds:
J Bray
R Cyr
N Drazenovic
G Gardner
D Gendur
R Gillen

17 year olds:
M Berube
E Fuller
T Wishart

The 3 reasons for hope next season in my opinion are Eric Hunter, Nicholas Drazenovic and Real Cyr. If they can take the next step, they have the skill set to give us 3 high quality players would could cary this team along ways.

The 3 reason for concern next season are GM, Coach and the overagers. The 1st 2 have been beaten to deal, the the overagers have to step up big time. If it is Zimmer, Parker and Patterson, we need all 3 to be around a point a game. Last summer I would have said no problem, but now I wonder. I hope Zimmer goes home with some fire in his belly, and comes back ready to prove he is a much better player than this season showed him to be.

The Euro situation? Is it to much to hope for drafting one or 2 guys who can actually play? My lord if we could just get lucky. Did we burn up all the luck with Zdeno and now the hockey gods are going to make us pay?

Brewer, Chara, Hamhuis, ahhh the memories.
1. Apologize to everyone for the poor effort this year
2. Lower ticket prices
3. Reward STH will free exhibition tixs at the very least
4. Fire the head coach and GM and bring in "real" hockey people
5. Increase the Budget for on ice promos and entertainment - make it entertaining not cheesy
6. Create a booster club - fans will bring in more fans
7. Trade those players that really do not want to be here - may change if coaches change
8. Get new scouting staff
9. Become more people friendly - realize that they are here because of us
10. Reward their staff, billets and volunteers more - happy people equals happy results
11. Retire Jersesys with a big old ceremony on Game #1 - Brewer, Chara, Hamhuis - Bring them to PG - have a big old party for STH.
12. Get real about wanting to win- they should want it so bad it consumes their every thought.
13. Treat the players with respect - barking and benching them did not work - try at little more tact - they are somebodies kids.

If they need someone to show them how to do this I am sure there are a lot of NHLers that are on a break right now, CALL THEM and ask for help.

If something doesnt change now, it is time for the big buck holders of PG to gather together and offer Brodsky a nice tidy sum to purchase the team. I am sure when he looks at how much MONEY he lost this year he will be willing to sell it just to get rid of the headache. Has anyone ever approached him abour selling. someone better do it before it goes out of town and we've lost the team forever.

The Pucks
The Pucks

March 21st, 2005, 7:02 am #4

that he has been approached atleast 3 times by a major PG company about selling with some very serious numbers thrown at him.

His reply, sorry, not interested.

COOGSUPERFAN
COOGSUPERFAN

March 21st, 2005, 3:24 pm #5

1. Apologize to everyone for the poor effort this year
2. Lower ticket prices
3. Reward STH will free exhibition tixs at the very least
4. Fire the head coach and GM and bring in "real" hockey people
5. Increase the Budget for on ice promos and entertainment - make it entertaining not cheesy
6. Create a booster club - fans will bring in more fans
7. Trade those players that really do not want to be here - may change if coaches change
8. Get new scouting staff
9. Become more people friendly - realize that they are here because of us
10. Reward their staff, billets and volunteers more - happy people equals happy results
11. Retire Jersesys with a big old ceremony on Game #1 - Brewer, Chara, Hamhuis - Bring them to PG - have a big old party for STH.
12. Get real about wanting to win- they should want it so bad it consumes their every thought.
13. Treat the players with respect - barking and benching them did not work - try at little more tact - they are somebodies kids.

If they need someone to show them how to do this I am sure there are a lot of NHLers that are on a break right now, CALL THEM and ask for help.

If something doesnt change now, it is time for the big buck holders of PG to gather together and offer Brodsky a nice tidy sum to purchase the team. I am sure when he looks at how much MONEY he lost this year he will be willing to sell it just to get rid of the headache. Has anyone ever approached him abour selling. someone better do it before it goes out of town and we've lost the team forever.
WHL franchises don't lose money averaging 3000+ seats/game. Doesn't matter if the STH didn't show up, they still have the $$$.

Please explain how they still have money?
Please explain how they still have money?

March 21st, 2005, 4:03 pm #6

It costs a lot to have a team, once you take the cities cut off for rent and salaries for everyone, bus and travel expenses, plus all the equipment etc, I really do not believe there is any money left this year, not enough to make it worthwhile. Enlighten me. And remember you can't compare to other teams as our travel is more than most of the others and the building is still fairly new and doesn't have corporate sponsorship, ie. the city has to recoup costs as much as they can.

The Pucks
The Pucks

March 21st, 2005, 4:53 pm #7

WHL franchises don't lose money averaging 3000+ seats/game. Doesn't matter if the STH didn't show up, they still have the $$$.
averaging 3000 per games, the team is still able to show a profit at the bottom of the general ledger, and that is despite paying a tidy salary to Mr Brodsky, as well as many family members. Therein lies the problem with selling the team. It makes money, and give good paying jobs to alot of the family.

Now on the creative accounting side, Mr Brodsky can claim a loss of about 1.35 million this season based on about 2500 empty seats per game. It is not a general ledger loss, but rather a loss of expected revenue. Gotta love accountants.

The Pucks
The Pucks

March 21st, 2005, 4:59 pm #8

It costs a lot to have a team, once you take the cities cut off for rent and salaries for everyone, bus and travel expenses, plus all the equipment etc, I really do not believe there is any money left this year, not enough to make it worthwhile. Enlighten me. And remember you can't compare to other teams as our travel is more than most of the others and the building is still fairly new and doesn't have corporate sponsorship, ie. the city has to recoup costs as much as they can.
Yes there are expenses, but they also have a favourable lease with the city, signed when the city was trying to attract a team. They took in around 1.6 million in ticket revenue, 200,000 grand in luxory box's, NHL money for drafted players, advertising revenue from adds around the arena, and merchandise revenue, both internal and WHL related.

Overall the team will still show a reasonable profit this season. The staff costs are not overly high, they spend almost no money on Euro scouting, and they are on the low end for billet renumeration.

FWF
FWF

March 21st, 2005, 5:22 pm #9

averaging 3000 per games, the team is still able to show a profit at the bottom of the general ledger, and that is despite paying a tidy salary to Mr Brodsky, as well as many family members. Therein lies the problem with selling the team. It makes money, and give good paying jobs to alot of the family.

Now on the creative accounting side, Mr Brodsky can claim a loss of about 1.35 million this season based on about 2500 empty seats per game. It is not a general ledger loss, but rather a loss of expected revenue. Gotta love accountants.
I'm an accountant and the answer is no. You can't take a deduction for revenue you didn't receive, because by the very nature you didn't receive it, it becomes it's own deduction because there is no income to report. However, if you still have to pay lease on those seats, that would be an deduction.

It's also an urban myth that when a company loses money it gets a tax refund equal to the loss. It gets a tax break equal to the amount of loss X the company's tax rate. I.E. a $1,000,000 loss equals $380,000 of tax relief. The owner is still out the other $620,000, so losing money never makes sense.

I've done some quick calculations and Brodsky is making money. It is also a good point he has created employment for two family members. Chances are if he didn't have the Cougars, he'd have to support them out of his own pocket, so he probably doesn't even consider them an expense.

What has baffled me is additional revenue after all fixed costs are paid, is almost all pure profit. I can't understand why he wouldn't lay out say $250,000 to attract a top GM and Coach, and try and get another 1000 season ticket holders, which would be $400,000 of revenue, leaving him an extra $150,000. I wonder if the city gets a share of the gate. If so, that may be affecting his decisions.

The Pucks
The Pucks

March 21st, 2005, 5:34 pm #10

What I meant by the loss comment,

Sport teams and some companies in general tend to announce to the fans that they "lost" x amount of money in a season or year, but in reality the general ledger actually showed a profit. When forced to explain they mean they "lost" x amount of dollars because they budgeted for a certain revenue based on ticket sales, did not acheive it, therefor "lost x amount of dollars"

Did I explain that right? I think you understand what I mean.