NEW ROSTER MOVES

NEW ROSTER MOVES

COUGAR EYE
COUGAR EYE

May 5th, 2010, 10:13 pm #1

HERE IS A NEW TOPIC. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE OLDER PLAYER MOVEMENT THAT HAS HAPPENED. I AM SURE SOME OF THESE PLAYERS THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO PLAY THIS YEAR. MIGHT BE REPLACED BY SOME GRIT AT TRAINING CAMP ??

CASUCKS HATTER
CASUCKS HATTER

May 6th, 2010, 5:26 am #2

please tell me thay got rid of stanfield

PGC(ritic)
PGC(ritic)

May 6th, 2010, 1:48 pm #3

HERE IS A NEW TOPIC. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE OLDER PLAYER MOVEMENT THAT HAS HAPPENED. I AM SURE SOME OF THESE PLAYERS THOUGHT THEY WERE GOING TO PLAY THIS YEAR. MIGHT BE REPLACED BY SOME GRIT AT TRAINING CAMP ??
As a long time cougar fan it looks like it could be another lonnnnnggggg year.
Defense will be very thin.

Players who are definitely not back:
Halliday (f 21) gone
Rodgers (21 f) gone
Thiessen (21 d) gone
Jarhous (20 g) released
Medland-Marchen (18 d) released
Senkerik (19 d) released
Breitkruz (19 f) released

Players who might not be returning:
Torbohm (20 d) if he is here the D is in big trouble- too slow not enough skill to take a 20spot.
Wright (20 g) Cant use a 20yr old spot on a backup goalie.
Orser (20 f) not enough skill to fill a 20 spot
Stanfield (20 f) skilled and do 20's really want to be in PG ?(see Hobbs) but has been given enough time to show what he can do and really hasn't proven he should be retained.
Dumais (17 f) due to skating issues could be in tough to make team. too many strong draft picks over past few years who are better.
Fraser (18 f) will be pushed for a spot - same as Dumais
McDonald (18 d) after watching "Rookies" why would team want him back? seemed to be in Clarks doghouse all year lots of healthy scratches.
Bidlevski (19 d) needs a change of scenery (career -110) but is tough and may return.
Vlach (18 f) will be in tough if the 2 import picks this year are solid

Players who will be back.
Dombrowloski (20 f) will be one of the overagers.
Stremmel (19 g) as he goes so go the Cougars. key to season.
Asuchak (19 f) will be back, big strong will only get better.
Connolly (18 f) we better hope he is back but his NHL team may want him elsewhere!!
Hirsche (18 f) Obviously a Coach favourite but really only a 3rd or 4th liner due to lack of quickness
Gibb (18 d) team will find out if he can hold his own without 20yr old dman partners. If he cant they gave him a ton of ice time last year for nothing.
Makin (18 f) will only get better.
Bounassisi (18 f) will only get better. Will improve numbers with more power play time.
Rigby - (16 f) skating an issue but big and likes to play physical and seems to be a Clark favourite
Forsberg (17 d) will be back and this year he better be given the keys to castle and play the minutes he deserves every night AND power play.
Smith (16 d) will be given every opportunity but looked awful during his 10 games with cougs at end of season but as a 1st rounder will get a long leash.
Bourke (16 f) will be top two lines and play well. Naturally gifted offensively.

Needs
1 - Back up goalie
3 - 19 and 20 yr old defenseman who are leaders and have skill and toughness ( everyone else in the leagues wants this too, so how does P.G. get them to come to P.G?.). Import draft is key they need to get two solid d-men or P.G. is going to lead again in goals against.
4 - forwards and one of them needs to be tough enough to protect the stars and help protect the younger smaller players ( like Bourke ) As well the forwards need to be much better in their own end and in transition on defense to help a very shaky looking back end.

COUGAR EYE
COUGAR EYE

May 6th, 2010, 2:39 pm #4

Great post.

pgcougarcrazy007
pgcougarcrazy007

May 6th, 2010, 6:09 pm #5

I find it interesting that you thought Smith was so bad? I thought he looked pretty good out there. With him and Forsberg together I think we could have a strong powerplay from the point, and one hell of a mean defense pairing- those two won't take any crap and I will enjoy seeing them smack around the Blazers all year. Agree on needing a strong 19-20 year old defenceman, I think there may be a few surprise holes that the Cougars will need to fill.

PGC(ritic)
PGC(ritic)

May 6th, 2010, 7:19 pm #6

Be honest, -11 in 9 games with limited ice time and healthy scratched in last game of season vs Kelowna...
yes he did fight twice but so what? A 1st pick is for skill and top 4, not a minus per game with limited ice time.
Hopefully he has improved but if you believe he is power play defenseman then you did not see the right skill set.

PGC(ritic)
PGC(ritic)

May 8th, 2010, 4:08 pm #7

You put a post discussing the answer to a hockey question and wait for response to create dialogue and silence descends from our fair city's hockey fans. Amazing.. that when the site is in the midst of a pissing contest and insult fest the board is buzzing but when somebody writes about hockey....nothing.

pgcougarcrazy007
pgcougarcrazy007

May 8th, 2010, 5:12 pm #8

Maybe if you posted something that was new and already not discussed there would be more conversation..

COOSUPERFAN
COOSUPERFAN

May 9th, 2010, 12:04 am #9

Be honest, -11 in 9 games with limited ice time and healthy scratched in last game of season vs Kelowna...
yes he did fight twice but so what? A 1st pick is for skill and top 4, not a minus per game with limited ice time.
Hopefully he has improved but if you believe he is power play defenseman then you did not see the right skill set.
tell me you are not really speaking this negative about a 15 year old D-man that had to play on one of the worst defensive teams in the CHL? Please tell me that you aren't saying his skill set is fixed at this point and can't change. He is 15...I thnk you should give at least a real season to show his real stuff don't you?

COOGSUPERFAN
COOGSUPERFAN

May 9th, 2010, 12:15 am #10

As a long time cougar fan it looks like it could be another lonnnnnggggg year.
Defense will be very thin.

Players who are definitely not back:
Halliday (f 21) gone
Rodgers (21 f) gone
Thiessen (21 d) gone
Jarhous (20 g) released
Medland-Marchen (18 d) released
Senkerik (19 d) released
Breitkruz (19 f) released

Players who might not be returning:
Torbohm (20 d) if he is here the D is in big trouble- too slow not enough skill to take a 20spot.
Wright (20 g) Cant use a 20yr old spot on a backup goalie.
Orser (20 f) not enough skill to fill a 20 spot
Stanfield (20 f) skilled and do 20's really want to be in PG ?(see Hobbs) but has been given enough time to show what he can do and really hasn't proven he should be retained.
Dumais (17 f) due to skating issues could be in tough to make team. too many strong draft picks over past few years who are better.
Fraser (18 f) will be pushed for a spot - same as Dumais
McDonald (18 d) after watching "Rookies" why would team want him back? seemed to be in Clarks doghouse all year lots of healthy scratches.
Bidlevski (19 d) needs a change of scenery (career -110) but is tough and may return.
Vlach (18 f) will be in tough if the 2 import picks this year are solid

Players who will be back.
Dombrowloski (20 f) will be one of the overagers.
Stremmel (19 g) as he goes so go the Cougars. key to season.
Asuchak (19 f) will be back, big strong will only get better.
Connolly (18 f) we better hope he is back but his NHL team may want him elsewhere!!
Hirsche (18 f) Obviously a Coach favourite but really only a 3rd or 4th liner due to lack of quickness
Gibb (18 d) team will find out if he can hold his own without 20yr old dman partners. If he cant they gave him a ton of ice time last year for nothing.
Makin (18 f) will only get better.
Bounassisi (18 f) will only get better. Will improve numbers with more power play time.
Rigby - (16 f) skating an issue but big and likes to play physical and seems to be a Clark favourite
Forsberg (17 d) will be back and this year he better be given the keys to castle and play the minutes he deserves every night AND power play.
Smith (16 d) will be given every opportunity but looked awful during his 10 games with cougs at end of season but as a 1st rounder will get a long leash.
Bourke (16 f) will be top two lines and play well. Naturally gifted offensively.

Needs
1 - Back up goalie
3 - 19 and 20 yr old defenseman who are leaders and have skill and toughness ( everyone else in the leagues wants this too, so how does P.G. get them to come to P.G?.). Import draft is key they need to get two solid d-men or P.G. is going to lead again in goals against.
4 - forwards and one of them needs to be tough enough to protect the stars and help protect the younger smaller players ( like Bourke ) As well the forwards need to be much better in their own end and in transition on defense to help a very shaky looking back end.

been looking forward to responding to this post for a couple of days now. So much actual meat here...it's awesome...

1) Yes, will be a challenging year when it comes to wins with a very young team...but...hopeful to be somewhere near 0.500(little bit of wishful thinking here but with a truly healthy Connolly and a top end Euro to play with him that will report...who know?)

2) I like Orser as a blood and guts leader, and Stanfield as the proud but largely ineffective (in the past) long time PG Cougar running out the string. A third D-man (a la Cepek) could happen any time and I'd be happy.

3) Damn! Gotta go now back to finish later...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS!!!!!!!!