Least excitment about training camp ?????

Least excitment about training camp ?????

The Pucks
The Pucks

September 13th, 2007, 9:31 pm #1

is it just me or are the Cougars an afterthought this year? Little to no talk on this board, nothing much on the streets, no marketing by the team?

Is this the last year? Will anybody care by time the season is over?

FWF
FWF

September 13th, 2007, 11:08 pm #2

I think it's the last year. Many of the fans - on this board at least - were looking for a brand name coach - we didn't get it.

Last year - contrary to popular belief - was only a success in terms of a playoff run. The actual season we had to watch an underachieving team coast for 3/4's of the season. I haven't forgotten which is why I didn't renew season tickets this year.

This year we've supposedly got a young team of eager beavers who in their exhibition games were accused of not working hard. One of the joys of a rebuilding year is watching young players gut it out night after night and these guys are coasting before the season even starts.

So attendance will be dismal this year, Brodsky will successfully get permission to move the team and all Cougar paraphenelia will be collector items.

And to be honest, it makes good business sense. When the team came here 12 or so years ago, cities like Chilliwack showed no interest in WHL franchises. Now they're the trendy thing to have in your city. If the Cougars relocate anywhere in the Okanagen or GVRD their travel expense plummets as well as that of the visiting teams. It was good - well mediocore at best - while it lasted but I think it's over now.

COOGSUPERFAN
COOGSUPERFAN

September 13th, 2007, 11:23 pm #3

is it just me or are the Cougars an afterthought this year? Little to no talk on this board, nothing much on the streets, no marketing by the team?

When, EVER has there been aggressive or creative marketing by this organization? At least kids are getting in cheap. Parents, or chaperones, need to follow.
What is flooring me is the media. There is virtually NOTHING being reported. I wonder if there are strained relations there as well? Personally, I'm looking forward to this organization HAVING to re-build. This will be their final test. They put a good product together last year...not consistant...but great potential that lived up to it. Now, they must BUILD a team or die trying. I am as skeptical as the next based solely on the experience of the personel but hey! I am COOGSUPERFAN, I have to give them a fair chance at the very least. I will give until mid-season with this many new faces. If they are an uninspired bunch like last year..then watch out! It doesn't matter how much they lose this year to me, it's all about the effort and the coaching right now. GOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOGS!!!

Cougar Guy
Cougar Guy

September 13th, 2007, 11:49 pm #4

a co-worker and I were out at lunch this week and the topic of the Cougars came up. We came to the conclusion that if you weren't an "active" fan, you wouldn't even know that a team was still in PG . . . LOL.

Same ole, same ole. No marketing, poor media coverage, no interest in the training camp, etc. This year SHOULD have been the one where the team was AGRESSIVE in their marketing. Coming off a good playoff run, some exciting hockey for once, a new score clock in the rink, people spending money in town like it's growing on trees, the opportunity to acquire a name brand coach with a long off-season search, etc. What do we get? Vanilla. Worse in fact. The store is all out of ice cream.

Oh well, I'll be there at the season opener and hopefully the young guys will at least make it exciting to watch this year.

finrank
finrank

September 14th, 2007, 12:49 am #5

When, EVER has there been aggressive or creative marketing by this organization? At least kids are getting in cheap. Parents, or chaperones, need to follow.
What is flooring me is the media. There is virtually NOTHING being reported. I wonder if there are strained relations there as well? Personally, I'm looking forward to this organization HAVING to re-build. This will be their final test. They put a good product together last year...not consistant...but great potential that lived up to it. Now, they must BUILD a team or die trying. I am as skeptical as the next based solely on the experience of the personel but hey! I am COOGSUPERFAN, I have to give them a fair chance at the very least. I will give until mid-season with this many new faces. If they are an uninspired bunch like last year..then watch out! It doesn't matter how much they lose this year to me, it's all about the effort and the coaching right now. GOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOGS!!!
I expect the advertising to get noisier next week........the 13 day break from the rookie game to the opener has done more to keep the paper quiet........I don't recall such an inactive period before the start of the season........the whole league is quiet.........I guess waiting for the return from NHL camps........The Connely lad looked at home and is going to be exciting to watch as he continues to develop..........I think this team might surprise some.........Deagle seems to have bulked up nicely.........not a small team either..........sure would like to see a good tuff guy to give some of the younger players a little confidence.........looking forward to a fun year.........

princeg
princeg

September 14th, 2007, 12:52 am #6

a co-worker and I were out at lunch this week and the topic of the Cougars came up. We came to the conclusion that if you weren't an "active" fan, you wouldn't even know that a team was still in PG . . . LOL.

Same ole, same ole. No marketing, poor media coverage, no interest in the training camp, etc. This year SHOULD have been the one where the team was AGRESSIVE in their marketing. Coming off a good playoff run, some exciting hockey for once, a new score clock in the rink, people spending money in town like it's growing on trees, the opportunity to acquire a name brand coach with a long off-season search, etc. What do we get? Vanilla. Worse in fact. The store is all out of ice cream.

Oh well, I'll be there at the season opener and hopefully the young guys will at least make it exciting to watch this year.
I just can't see another city accepting the cougars with Brodsky as the owner of the team. His track record speaks for itself. Just my opinion. Hopefully the Whl will force the sale of the team to local ownership. Pg is a hockey town wether people believe it or not. To many fans are just turned off by Brodsky.

The Pucks
The Pucks

September 14th, 2007, 2:13 am #7

Brodsky or no Brodsky a city will bite, I have no doubt in my mind, hell they will probably even sell out the 1st few years.

Cougar Guy
Cougar Guy

September 14th, 2007, 2:39 am #8

The only hope would be that the league itself would either block the move or award an expansion franchise to PG if a move took place, much like the situation in Tri-City. With 2 fewer Western Conference teams than Eastern Conference teams, anything is possible, but there would be a watering down of talent issue with that many teams in the league.

princeg
princeg

September 14th, 2007, 2:54 am #9

Brodsky or no Brodsky a city will bite, I have no doubt in my mind, hell they will probably even sell out the 1st few years.
Just a question then? How many cities in western canada are able to accept a whl team right now that do not currentely have one. Remembering they must have a suitable arena in place.

princeg
princeg

September 14th, 2007, 2:55 am #10

One other thing to remember is that PG isn't the only team struggling with attendance or dollars.