Hockey anyone....

Hockey anyone....

Teacher
Teacher

March 29th, 2009, 6:42 pm #1

Returnees from 08/09 -
Caligiuri(20) and Salmon(17) in goal
Jackson (20), Hobbs (20), Bidlevski(18), McDonald(17)
( Regier, Cumming, Scherger either traded or released by player request or,
in case of Scherger not good enough to take 20yr old spot)

Connelly(17), Viedensky(19),
Halliday(20)(could be odd man out unless one of two 20 yr old d leave)
Ciolfi(18), Stanfield(19), Buonissisi(17), Fraser(17), Hirshe(17),

Should make it if team commits to more youth
16yr olds - Forsberg D - Belter F-
17yr old - Gibbs D
18yr old - Greyeyes D

Need
19yr old D,
2 or 3 bigger, physical forwards.(18,19yr olds ) either find from within or dangle Maylan and Regier as a package for one

Out - Watson, Poulter, (not good enough to be 20yr old forwards, Maylan too soft to be top six forward)

2. Klippenstein goes back to scouting and Assistant G.M.

3. Flaake(19) will be here and will make a difference in forward size skill and depth.

4. a. 1200
b. 3500 ( if someone on par with a Habscheid)
c. 5500
5. Caligiuri and Salmon will split duties, unless Danyluk squeezes Caligiuri out

pg_elvis
pg_elvis

March 29th, 2009, 10:08 pm #2

don't think we need a back up goaltender taking up a 20 spot, nothing against joe

Bowzone.ca
Bowzone.ca

March 30th, 2009, 1:51 am #3

Nothing against Joe ... LMAO ... Joe will be at Cougs camp in fall unless he chooses between now and then not to come, as the organization has already asked him to come back.
Danyluck will be a 19 year old with 107 minutes played and 7 goals allowed in his WHL carreer ... I can see him finishing his jr days in teir 2 or AA

Joe before this season had more ice time than Armstrong, more Playoff time than Armstrong.... I still am very confused why the Cougs put all their eggs into Kevins Basket and so is everyone else because no one seems to want to venture a guess.

I see Joe and Salmon splitting Tendie duties with no starter named ... all that rests upon if Caliguri comes back to camp ... as of Saturday Morning before he drove back home that would be yes

COOGSUPERFAN
COOGSUPERFAN

March 30th, 2009, 4:28 am #4

here it is. Armstrong was a very highly touted tender from day one that played on absolutely horrible teams (The Blades to start back when they were winning about 7 games/season , and then Spokane when they were always last and out of the playoffs). Then he lost his job to one of the best 17 year old goaltenders in the entire world last year while compiling some of the best numbers in the entire WHL on his resume. He had many spectacular performances with those very poor teams and earned the starters role. Caligiuri could never earn a starter's role on a consistantly competitive team in Brandon. His numbers here (4.50 GAA, 0.869%age, and 5W-11L)(are bad...quite a bit worse than Armstrong's (3.73 GAA, 0.891, 21W-33L). I just can't see how anyone could justify keeping a 20 year old tender with those kind of numbers. He may come to camp, but unless he is an absolute wall (which he wasn't in even one game we saw him here this year) I can't see him holding onto an overage spot. Just an opinion but I think his WHL career might be over.

pgcougarcrazy007
pgcougarcrazy007

March 30th, 2009, 5:29 pm #5

Coougs if you knew anything about being a goalie you would understand its hard to put up great numbers when you get to play once a month. Not only is there an extreme pressure to play well because if you don't you know you sitting for another month.. it's hard to get into a grove as a goalie as well.. look at any goalie, it takes a couple games to get back into it and find their groove again. Trade places with Army and Joe and then look at the numbers. Also Joe is a character guy- the kind of guy that as a vet can not only help Salmon as a goalie, but also as a person- setting the right example on and off the ice.

COOGSUPERFAN
COOGSUPERFAN

March 30th, 2009, 11:51 pm #6

but Armstrong was in the same place at times when he faltered. The biggest difference was that when he got his next chance he made the best of it and put in a better showing. Sorry, but I just can't put enough value on the kind of mentorship Joe could provide to tie up an overage spot. Please give me even 1 example when a 20 spot was used up on a goaltender that is going to be the designated backup and it led to good things?

bowzone.ca
bowzone.ca

March 31st, 2009, 7:08 pm #7

Ummmm about 3 years ago

did the cougs not release Bowles because of 20 ...he was sent through the paces ...ended up in OHL ...only to come back to PG at trade deadline as a Role Guy
Lets face it Scottys Numbers in the OHL sucked Dog balls but was sought after at deadline to come back to PG

ask yourself why?

COOGSUPERFAN
COOGSUPERFAN

March 31st, 2009, 7:35 pm #8

I immediately come up with this...we have had exceptionally bad management and coaching decisionsw, especially with regard to goalies, in the last many years. We have not had anywhere near a qualified, ENGAGED goal tending coach here in a decade or more. What would Thompson, Pogge, , Bowles, or Cyr been with any semblance of goal-tending tutelage? (Scary to think ). Bringing Scottie back, while a "nice" thing to do, did nothing to enhance the season or further what the Cougars achieved IMO. Again, I ask the same question...Use any other team and show me a positive result as a consequence of keeping a 20 year old tender to mentor a young starter? You will be VERY hard pressed to find such an example.

Bowzone.ca
Bowzone.ca

April 1st, 2009, 1:33 am #9

I do see your point and yes it would be hard to find a team in major jr that has done that. dont think its impossible nor unheard of ...I concete its Rare, However there are many cases in the big leauges that have done just exactly that. Cujo being one of the most recent cases I can think of, Fuhr and some others come to mind over the years .... Once Big name stars that have almost washed up .. teaching the ropes to the young kid. While i admit that Joe is not a "big Name" ie: Pikert??, Tokarski etc... he has a bunch of ice time under his belt ... This year he got less than half the amount he got in Brandon in any year that he was there (reffer back to 007s comments about groove etc...) and if the Cougs think this Salmon kid is the real deal (Remember what I said about sunshine and Dogs once) then it might be a good idea to have someone that knows the WHL game (way faster than major midget and teir 2)to teach him the ropes split some duties for at least a little while let the kid get used to the game then turn him loose as full fledged starter.. and i will tell you why I feel that way .... I dont have much Hockey expiriance at the major jr level play wise (in fact none) but I seen on many occation a star in a level (in many sports) get thrown into the mix at higher levels and expected to perform get Effed in the A because he had no tutaledge from a vet that knows the level and remembers whats its like.

While everyone is conviced that Salmon (Fishboy) is the next great thing .. based on his midget stats I wont hold my breath untill its proven and in my opinion he will need a role model in his rookie season

Joe is also a good off ice guy to have in a dressing room as I know personally how he conducts himself off ice and in Public (there is alot of that in the bigs too ... Sundin comes to mind as most recent publicized case... just ask AV .. he said so in a press conferance, Off ice conduct was second to none ...I wonder how trevor Linden felt about that comment)

Dont get me wrong ... I am not making the arguement that he should be here no matter what, But I do know that he was Invited to Camp in the fall by Fat Dallas and as of Saturday morning when he drove to Winterpeg he said he was comming back.

April 2nd, 2009, 5:25 am #10

I do think Joe is a character guy BUT...does not have the skills to share with an up and coming potential starter as he has rarely (or never) earned that right for himself. I do not believe Salmon is "the" answer at this time but, with proper coaching, he has the skills and potential to be a quality starter for the Coogs in his career. He has already has one SPECTACULAR game against an excellent team under his belt. He can only improve. I also believe Joe should come to camp IF he wants to finish his career in the WHL. He could be an early season trade for a decent draft pick IF he shows up ready to play and wins a couple early in the year. Whatever improved the Cats the most...GOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOGS!