Fiddling while Rome burns...

Fiddling while Rome burns...

tombstone81
tombstone81

January 10th, 2006, 9:50 pm #1

...would not be surprised to see Cougar management either ignore the team's dire needs for improvement, or somehow get hosed yet again at the deadline by giving up one of our great goaltenders for another injured wannabe or a bag of pucks and a draft pick that they will ultimately trade away before he gets any chance to flourish.

Just once it would be nice to see the Brodsky minions get the better of a trade or two...but it seems that their rep around the league as pompous and indifferent owners who know little about hockey--but a lot about nepotism--is sealed and not to change. I'm sure Lubi is more interested in his next Smirnoff on rocks than actually unearthing a hidden gem.

Anyway, I had to respond to an earlier poster in the Attendance thread who said that PG fans were ignorant for not coming out and supporting "what might be the greatest Cougar team of all time". Nearly pissed myself laughing at that one. Obviously junior is not old enough to remember the class acts of the 1997-2000 clubs...which were swimming in a world of talent but still had the same old crappy Brodsky-clan management who refused to make the final tweak which could have put those teams into the Memorial Cup. Just as long as that building's full all season, screw the Cup, seems to be their motto. This current group needs far more than a tweak, it needs defribulators and life support...and if it miraculously pulls through and makes the playoffs ahead of the Blazers...it will all be over quickly.

As a long-time fan and current season ticket holder...the best thing Brodsky could would be to fire the family connections in favour of a GM and Director of Hockey Operations who A) know hockey, B) have friends around the league, and C) are respected enough guys that players and parents want to work and play for them...not get the hell out of Dodge at the earliest opportunity.

jam32
jam32

January 10th, 2006, 10:04 pm #2

This could have possibly been the best post ever on this forum. Brodsky's are a joke, and ol Dallas Brodsky is biggest one.

cougar
cougar

January 10th, 2006, 10:19 pm #3

...would not be surprised to see Cougar management either ignore the team's dire needs for improvement, or somehow get hosed yet again at the deadline by giving up one of our great goaltenders for another injured wannabe or a bag of pucks and a draft pick that they will ultimately trade away before he gets any chance to flourish.

Just once it would be nice to see the Brodsky minions get the better of a trade or two...but it seems that their rep around the league as pompous and indifferent owners who know little about hockey--but a lot about nepotism--is sealed and not to change. I'm sure Lubi is more interested in his next Smirnoff on rocks than actually unearthing a hidden gem.

Anyway, I had to respond to an earlier poster in the Attendance thread who said that PG fans were ignorant for not coming out and supporting "what might be the greatest Cougar team of all time". Nearly pissed myself laughing at that one. Obviously junior is not old enough to remember the class acts of the 1997-2000 clubs...which were swimming in a world of talent but still had the same old crappy Brodsky-clan management who refused to make the final tweak which could have put those teams into the Memorial Cup. Just as long as that building's full all season, screw the Cup, seems to be their motto. This current group needs far more than a tweak, it needs defribulators and life support...and if it miraculously pulls through and makes the playoffs ahead of the Blazers...it will all be over quickly.

As a long-time fan and current season ticket holder...the best thing Brodsky could would be to fire the family connections in favour of a GM and Director of Hockey Operations who A) know hockey, B) have friends around the league, and C) are respected enough guys that players and parents want to work and play for them...not get the hell out of Dodge at the earliest opportunity.
but everything you had said about management has already been said a thousand times over.

jarjar
jarjar

January 10th, 2006, 10:53 pm #4

Not even an attempt at being positive, with a team that is this far over 500. youd thinks the brodskys raped all our women and ate all the children. it's hockey cheer when they win, chuckle when they lose. everyone takes this so personally. Who brought the cougars here? maybe that was his biggest mistake, with how nasty people are.

tombstone81
tombstone81

January 10th, 2006, 11:08 pm #5

...and that's what the fans are doing. Staying away from the Multiplex, and complaining in the media. After years of amazing support for this franchise, watching some of the best players in the world toil here with nothing to show for it save for maybe a couple rounds of playoffs and a Mastercard commercial, the fans have every right not to be positive with just a few games over 500.

The fact is Kelowna and Kootenay have both been to and won a Cup since they moved to their respective cities...and Vancouver has the team to contend at any time. Those three franchises have all been in existence fewer years than the Cougs...and have excellent management who know how to win...yet fans here having nothing to show for their years of support yet promises of "the future" and a few exciting playoff games along the ride. Not nearly enough for the cards we have held or the support that has been shown.

The fact that the trade deadline has come and gone with no moves indicates that management has thrown up their hands yet again on another season. They know we can't go anywhere with the current group...well if that's the case why did we get rid of a first-round draft pick earlier this year? You're either building for the future or going for it...but you can't try to do both in the same season and expect to get anything but laughed at.

jarjar
jarjar

January 11th, 2006, 12:18 am #6

sending that message will only end up with the team moving. people, you have to understand how much money this guy has, not buying some tickets wont hurt his lifestyle. but hes a proud businessman, smarter than most of us, and hes not going to stay here if the team isnt drawing flies. its so childish to say your taking your money and going home, unless your fine with not having the cougars hear enymore. we vote with our wallets, thats business.

tombstone81
tombstone81

January 11th, 2006, 12:52 am #7

You suggest that Brodsky will skip town at a moment's notice...that if we don't fill his wallet then he will go find some suckers in another town that will. Your statement just proves my theory that he doesn't give a damn about the fans or manufacturing a winning team.

If he is so smart as you suggest...then HE himself should run the club...not leave the task to every in-law and offspring whose grand total hockey experience may amount to having watched HNIC as a kid. If he truly wants to see this team succeed in Prince George...he will say "screw nepotism" and bring in well-known and well-respected talent to manage this club.

Only then will the fans return (unless of course by some miracle the duo of Bowles and Cyr decide to turn into Hasek and Kiprusoff overnight, and manage to backstop the current roster into the third-round of the playoffs). Then you will see the fairweather fan come back.

As for me, hey, he's got my money for another season...I have the right to complain as loud and hard as I want.

Smileyjones
Smileyjones

January 11th, 2006, 12:56 am #8

sending that message will only end up with the team moving. people, you have to understand how much money this guy has, not buying some tickets wont hurt his lifestyle. but hes a proud businessman, smarter than most of us, and hes not going to stay here if the team isnt drawing flies. its so childish to say your taking your money and going home, unless your fine with not having the cougars hear enymore. we vote with our wallets, thats business.
You're so certain that they have screwed up so badly by doing nothing, tell me, what was available? You'll note that the Cougars weren't the only team doing nothing (buying or selling). All of the other GM's and owners in the league must be arrogant, money grubbing drunks too.

You have complained in your earlier post that we have never come out on the good end of a trade. So, do you think that they should have made a trade jsut because today is the day?

Really, tell me, how can Dallas win with a guy like you. Make a trade and it is lableled as bad for all eternity. Don't make a trade and your standing still being arrogant. If you have the magic wand to win every trade, please make it available for sale I'm sure you'll make a pile of cash.

Smirnoff on the rocks sounds like a great idea. It beats listening to negative garbage all day.

BIG_CLAW
BIG_CLAW

January 11th, 2006, 1:08 am #9

nm

tombstone81
tombstone81

January 11th, 2006, 1:41 am #10

You're so certain that they have screwed up so badly by doing nothing, tell me, what was available? You'll note that the Cougars weren't the only team doing nothing (buying or selling). All of the other GM's and owners in the league must be arrogant, money grubbing drunks too.

You have complained in your earlier post that we have never come out on the good end of a trade. So, do you think that they should have made a trade jsut because today is the day?

Really, tell me, how can Dallas win with a guy like you. Make a trade and it is lableled as bad for all eternity. Don't make a trade and your standing still being arrogant. If you have the magic wand to win every trade, please make it available for sale I'm sure you'll make a pile of cash.

Smirnoff on the rocks sounds like a great idea. It beats listening to negative garbage all day.
...enjoy your Smirnoff on the rocks. Maybe you will better understand my point afterwards.

I never suggested they should make a trade just for the sake of making it. I suggested that if they weren't going to make any trades (i.e. hold on for the future, knowing damn well this current group is barely a playoff contender, let along a MC contender) then they never should have given up a first round draft pick earlier this season.

If you're going to sit on your hands, happy with a last-place finish (or maybe a 4th place finish and first-round playoff exit if you're lucky), then keep your prospects in tact and wait for next year. Don't tell the fans earlier in the season that "this has got to be the year we go for it" as your dad was quoted in the Citizen...and then do nothing but give away a first-rounder.

What about Stengler? Why not trade him for absolutely anything? The worst we could do is get a bust and not have Stengler's rights anymore...which means squat considering he's made up his mind not to return here.

I guess I will finish the season cheering on the current squad, looking for the silver lining as you have managed to find, and knowing that it doesn't exist. Can't help but wonder what a Memorial Cup parade must look like though...as the fans in Kelowna, Cranbrook and Kamloops have all been able to experience since the Cougars moved to Prince George from Victoria.