Can't believe how dead it has been!

Can't believe how dead it has been!

pgcougarcrazy007
pgcougarcrazy007

August 30th, 2011, 5:18 am #1

I am out of town. Any reports out of training camp?

The Pucks
The Pucks

August 30th, 2011, 1:29 pm #2

when it comes to the Cougars, no talk on the streets, none at all, you wouldnt know training cap has started if you asked around.

The bridges have been burned.

August 30th, 2011, 11:55 pm #3

It is quite, the paper has had very little coverage of the cat's thus far. I watched one day of camp and went to the inter-squad game which was attended by as many people as are ussually at the inter-squad 600 or 700.

I liked what I saw most noteably with goaltending Owsley looks good and the three youngsters want to make it tough to decide which will stay, based on what I saw I like Santos.

Marco Dano is not in camp word seemed to be that he would become avalible after the world jrs. don't know if there is any truth to that or not, lot,s of stories floating around the concourse between periods that no one can attribute to a proper source.

The Pucks
The Pucks

August 31st, 2011, 12:50 am #4

Dano's parents expressed surprise and concern that he was drafted because they had told all CHL teams that their son would not be going to the CHL. A mens team at home had offered him a contract and he accepted.

I guess that doesnt mean things cant change, but as of this summer it didnt look good.

COOGSUPERFAN
COOGSUPERFAN

August 31st, 2011, 12:53 am #5

It is quite, the paper has had very little coverage of the cat's thus far. I watched one day of camp and went to the inter-squad game which was attended by as many people as are ussually at the inter-squad 600 or 700.

I liked what I saw most noteably with goaltending Owsley looks good and the three youngsters want to make it tough to decide which will stay, based on what I saw I like Santos.

Marco Dano is not in camp word seemed to be that he would become avalible after the world jrs. don't know if there is any truth to that or not, lot,s of stories floating around the concourse between periods that no one can attribute to a proper source.
Didn't get to see near enough of what I believe to be the best potential camp in our history here. What I did see has been said many times already. If Tkatch and Fontaine don't make this team...it is a truly unjust world AND we are going to be really good. To add to this dynamic duo ... Odgers was just fantastic with them and should get a good long look too. This trio reminds me of the Baum, Glover, Falloon trio except that Fontaine is just a total treat to watch ALL the time. The kid is all heart and skills galore...filled out a bit too while he is still puny by NHL standards. Jake Mykitiuk is a more mini Fontaine but appears to be a really smart and skilled player too. With all these mini studs flying around I was hoping to see Dawes stick around but not sure if he can...should be great next year though. On defense a couple of our vets could be seriously pushed for time on the ice. McNulty looked great in the young guns game...really dominant. Carvahlo could be Chartier-ish if he works hard ALL the time. Phaneuf was solid and Grewal appears to be a lot stronger this year. Lots of defensemen still around so the vets will have to really show that they want to be here. In goal, I thought Fordyce was looking great but Santos got lit up like a Christmas tree in the young guns game (oh that Fontaine, Tkatch, Odgers line was unreal!). Others are clearly not ready at this time but showed some great potential. I don't know who can possibly challenge Owlsley to start BUT if we can get the backup 20-25 games...that would be spectacular.

Looking forward to some pre-season results and the other entertainment to follow. In the circles I have come into lately. You just have to bring up the Cougars and people do want to discuss. There is a very rare cautious optimism brewing...something most of this town has been completely unwilling to embrace...and justifiably so I might at...but you can't take the love of this game out of this town...it has been, is, and always will be there ready, willing, and able to embrace any truly honest effort to build a respectable, consistently competitive organization. Are we really "getting there" yet?
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS!!!!!!!!!

smartshot
smartshot

August 31st, 2011, 8:38 pm #6

Forwards:

1) Inglis Buonassisi Connolly
2) Asuchuk Forsberg Bourke
3) Dumais Hirshe Thompson
4) Fraser Belter

Certainly lots of competition for spots for the forwards. Guys like Witala, Tkatch, Fontaine could all be in the mix. A guy like Odgers could easily take Makin's spot IMO.

Defense:

1) Marcinin Forsberg
2) Carlson Gibb
3) Pilling Smith

As there are fewer open spots on D, I can only potentially add a guy like Grewal or McNulty. Springer may have a chance as well.

I can't see the team taking anymore then 3 16 year olds. With Forsberg a lock, and a strong defense core, I see the Cougars taking Witala and Fontaine as the other three 16 year olds. This would leave a spot for 17 year old d-man Springer.

Goalies:
1)Owsley
2)Fordyce

COOGSUPERFAN
COOGSUPERFAN

September 1st, 2011, 4:06 am #7

I believe that this team will play with more depth than we have seen in a long time

In no particular order:

Inglis, Buonassissi, Bourke - this unit was dominant at times last year and exhibited great consistent work ethic and chemistry...should be a very productive line this season.

Connoly, Forsberg, Asuchuk - Asuchuk will to the hard work to help set up a killer sniper line. He will also be able to help defend the young Forsberg at times.

Hirsche, Fraser, Dumais - This line will pound the living crap out of many lines in the WHL and get there share of "dirty goals" against the weaker defensive pairings in the league.

Fontaine, Tkatch, Odgers - These three would do very well against other 4 lines in this league, too much skill and speed for other fourth liners to contain. Give them some PP time too.

Thompson & Belter with a lot to prove. They had better be hungry and prepared to perform WHEN they get their chance to.

Carlson, Gibb - great mature shutdown pairing and will allow Carlson to activate his offensive abilities a little more

Forsberg, Pilling - Good balance of toughness and offensive abilities

Marincin, Smith - Help Marincin to lead and help develop a younger, but capable and ferociously protective defensman

McNulty & Carvahlo - another balanced pairing...Carvahlo will have to be ready to perform and compete harder if he wants to stick around

Owsley - clearly the starter's job is all his to lose

Fordyce - 25 lucky to get 25 games unless he can really step up and challenge/push Owsly a la Cyr-Pogge of years past.

Can not wait to see this team in action this year.

one forward to depart in the future