As I was watching the Giants/Moncton game . . .

As I was watching the Giants/Moncton game . . .

Cougar Guy
Cougar Guy

May 21st, 2006, 3:26 pm #1

yesterday, I thought to myself "Man that chant sure sounds familiar". Of course, the Wildcat fans were chanting "Go Cats Go . . . Go Cats Go".

Then my secondary bad thought was "I wonder if that's as close as we will come to a Memorial Cup" . . . LOL :D

May 22nd, 2006, 7:02 pm #2

Cougars, however Brodsky won't even speak to them! Interesting considering he brings up the subject of moving the team if the support doesn't reappear.

Brodsky caused the deterioration of the frnachise by his owns devices and shouldn't even be given the opportunity to move the club.

The one group that I know of that has the way and means to buy the club and the hockey knowledge to make it succeed want to buy the team and KEEP it in PG long term but don't even get the courtesy of a response from the guy.

Interesting to see what happens in the future?

Cougar Guy
Cougar Guy

May 22nd, 2006, 9:34 pm #3

it almost makes you wonder how the WHL Board of Directors would respond if he went to them wanting to move and there were a few groups lining up at the same meeting to say "We'll buy it and keep it in PG", we'll even pay today.

I've heard that there was also a local businessman that was very interested in buying the team and that he essentially handed Brodsky a blank cheque and said "you fill in the amount". Of course this is just rumour, but I have no doubt that there would be buyers lined up if and when the "For Sale" sign ever went up. Hell, there may even be a bidding war . . . LOL.

Not much doubt in my mind that there would be a parade and a full building on opening night if Brodsky ceased to be involved with the team.

The Pucks
The Pucks

May 22nd, 2006, 11:04 pm #4

I have 1st hand knowledge of the situation, know the family involved personaly and have occasional buisness dealings with them as well.

I can tell you the family own's a local sawmill, have been involved witht the community alot and have very deep pockets.

Cougar Guy
Cougar Guy

May 23rd, 2006, 12:27 am #5

exactly who we are talking about, I just didn't want to mention it

Glen
Glen

May 23rd, 2006, 12:53 am #6

I have 1st hand knowledge of the situation, know the family involved personaly and have occasional buisness dealings with them as well.

I can tell you the family own's a local sawmill, have been involved witht the community alot and have very deep pockets.
have sent numerous proprosals to the current owner and havent' recieved even a courtesy reply.

I don't know anything about the local group, however I will tell you that the group I know of have very deep pockets, are from out of province and one of the group has previously been involved with building a winning organization in the WHL and is young and motivated.

CanuckleChucker
CanuckleChucker

May 23rd, 2006, 4:38 am #7

yesterday, I thought to myself "Man that chant sure sounds familiar". Of course, the Wildcat fans were chanting "Go Cats Go . . . Go Cats Go".

Then my secondary bad thought was "I wonder if that's as close as we will come to a Memorial Cup" . . . LOL :D
I haven't heard anything recent about the so called "sawmill family" trying to purchase the Cougars??, I believe I heard that same story for 10 years now? It would be interesting to know if the interest has been rekindled...

Cougar Guy
Cougar Guy

May 23rd, 2006, 6:11 am #8

have sent numerous proprosals to the current owner and havent' recieved even a courtesy reply.

I don't know anything about the local group, however I will tell you that the group I know of have very deep pockets, are from out of province and one of the group has previously been involved with building a winning organization in the WHL and is young and motivated.
"Has previously been involved with building a winning organization in the WHL and is young and motivated"

Now wouldn't THAT be something to have as part of an organization

Let's hope that they keep sending the offers and that one day, Brodsky finds his price . . . everybody has one. The only other real option to see Brodsky out of the picture is for him to make a formal pitch to move the team and have the WHL Board of Governors give PG the same courtesy that they gave Tri. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it came to that within a couple of years and let's hope that the interested parties are still around at that time and that the Governors see that PG could again be a great market under different ownership.

Glen
Glen

May 23rd, 2006, 5:28 pm #9

Sorry I can't give you any insight as to who they are because the father of the interested party told me in confidence.

I do know they have the money. I also know the guy interested has been a GM in the league in the recent past, has extensive knowledge of the league (had a brother play in the league as well) and would have the ability to put a marketing/scouting team in place likely as soon as the ink would be dry if a deal were made.

I was excited as soon as I heard about if because there would be instant credibility and the fact the people WANT the team in PG because they feel it is a GREAT market is a huge plus. Make no mistake, the interest is there because if you field a competitive team and involve the local community there is a good dollar to be made in PG, but what is so great is this offer is from people WHO WANT TO WIN!!!

Triple H and the rest of the McBrodksy flying circus would be dumped however, and I truly believe Brodsky would kill any deal that wouldn't include his son-in-law from being included in any type of deal.

The league will look absolutely rediculous if they let Brodsky try and make a Tri-City type deal in return for his selling of the franchise though because he HAS NO ONE TO BLAME BUT HIMSELF for the current issues in PG.

Cougar Guy
Cougar Guy

May 24th, 2006, 2:14 am #10

about Brodsky bearing the SOLE responsibility of his franchise's dismal track record. Perhaps attendance will get to the point where Brodsky says "I can't make money here so I have to leave" . . . he's already said as much publically. I'm almost at the point where I'd like to see people call his hand. If that happened, I'd pray for the league to say "Nope we will not be granting you a franchise in any other City, your only option is to sell or fold", at which point he'd either sell to a new group or fold and then have the league grant a franchise to a new ownership group whom they felt confident with running the team in PG.

Thanks for the info Glen, it could be an interesting couple of years ahead. Oh and if you have a way to communicate with this group, please let them know that the people of PG would be eternally grateful if they could get the deal done. Heck, I'd buy the first, second, third and fourth round. I'm sure we'd have enough people lined up to keep the part going for weeks