Why didn't Alcor write about THIS on their website?

Why didn't Alcor write about THIS on their website?

October 23rd, 2009, 12:11 pm #1

The temporary restraining order Alcor tried to paint as a "victory" has probably turned out to be much more "temporary" than Alcor had hoped, and has been lifted. Why didn't Alcor write about THAT on their website?

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/D ... ystem=prod

There's another hearing scheduled, for November 4th.

October 23rd, 2009, 12:38 pm #2

Another case involving "Life Extension Institute" vs. "Johnsa, Dolly" is going on, at the same time, in New York. "Life Extension Institute" has the same attorney as Alcor. (Imagine that.)

Dolly Jhonsa appears to have been an employee of "Life Extension Institute." http://www.spoke.com/info/pYI2VF4/DollyJhonsa

(Edits were to correct typos.)

Last edited by melmax on October 23rd, 2009, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 23rd, 2009, 12:52 pm #3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Extension_Institute

The Life Extension Institute was an organization formed in the United States in 1913 with the philanthropic goal of prolonging human life through hygiene and disease prevention.[1] Its organizational officers included many celebrity-philanthropists such as William Howard Taft, Alexander Graham Bell, and Mabel Thorp Boardman but also genuine medical experts including William James Mayo, Russell Henry Chittenden, and J. H. Kellogg and a "Hygiene Reference Board" of dozens of nationally recognized physicians of that era such as Mazÿck Porcher Ravenel and Major General William Crawford Gorgas.[2]

PALM SPRINGS LFI
http://www.totalhormonegenetherapy.com/

LFI acquisitions?
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 25, 1995--Life Extension Institute ("LEI"), the nation's oldest preventive and primary health care provider, has acquired Executive Health Group ("EHG"), its next largest competitor, it was announced today.

Both concerns are privately owned and based in New York. The purchase price was not disclosed.

Life Extension Institute President Paul W. Frankel, M.D., Ph.D., said in announcing the acquisition, completed May 15, "By acquiring EHG, we will be able to realize significant savings and synergies and will continue to deliver ...
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-16904649.html

TAFT WAS FIRST EHE/LFI chairman???
http://www.eheintl.com/about_history.jsp

EHE International was founded in 1913 in New York City under the name Life Extension Institute with the opening of the first medical center devoted to prevention, as opposed to treatment. Our mission then, as it is today, is the promotion of optimal health by identifying pre-symptomatic life-threatening disease...

Medicine: Life Extension - TIME
The shrewd, vigorous pair conferred, organized the Life Extension Institute with $150000 capital. Contractor Ley made himself president. ...
www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,91 ... 53,00.html - Similar -

TIME MAGAZINE article history
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 53,00.html

In 1913 Professor Irving Fisher of Yale, 46, was receptive to a good business enterprise. A 41-year-old Manhattan contractor & builder named Harold Alexander Ley had an inviting idea. The shrewd, vigorous pair conferred, organized the Life Extension Institute with $150,000 capital. C

LIFE INSURANCE
Prolonging life as a function of life insurance: five years ... - Google Books Result
by Life Extension Institute - 1919 - Business & Economics - 47 pages
Microfilmed for preservation.
books.google.com/books?id=57BqAAAAMAAJ... -

MY COMMENT==
This is odd-- I've never looked into this LFI-- and yet it's been around for 100 years? How could I have missed something going by that name? Am I coming out of a twilight zone? do I have amnesia? VERY odd discovery. LEF never mentioned it... that I knew about.

October 23rd, 2009, 1:14 pm #4

Another case involving "Life Extension Institute" vs. "Johnsa, Dolly" is going on, at the same time, in New York. "Life Extension Institute" has the same attorney as Alcor. (Imagine that.)

Dolly Jhonsa appears to have been an employee of "Life Extension Institute." http://www.spoke.com/info/pYI2VF4/DollyJhonsa

(Edits were to correct typos.)
Wow! Is the same Life Extension Institute in New York that at one time had president Taft as the chairman? Or is it only an imposter, living off the LEI name? Do they still advocate eugenics?

October 23rd, 2009, 5:12 pm #5

The temporary restraining order Alcor tried to paint as a "victory" has probably turned out to be much more "temporary" than Alcor had hoped, and has been lifted. Why didn't Alcor write about THAT on their website?

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/D ... ystem=prod

There's another hearing scheduled, for November 4th.
IIRC, after not even having read it all yet, she posted on CN that she fully endorsed everything in it. After some objections by Mark Plus regarding the libellous and false claims made in LJ's book regarding Plus' place of residence and employment, Melody issued an apology and a retraction.

It would seem that just this one example of irresponsibly sensationalized fiction would be enough for her to cease any support of the book altogether. It certainly is enough for me. If LJ is so cavalier in his writings in this one instance, and the publisher obviously did no checking of the material, why should anyone believe anything else he has to say?

The press and certain individuals have of course taken off on many of the sensational-sounding items mentioned in the book which are of no importance at all. For those few items that Alcor really should fix, well, Alcor should fix them, and everyone should move on.

Time will tell if Melody continues to present LJ as a friend to whatever she is trying to accomplish.

FD

October 23rd, 2009, 5:59 pm #6

Johnson's book is subject matter for discussion regarding cryonics because of its recentness.

I'd have to check the book again, but I believe the information on the stockpile of weapons and the compound came from the LA investigator and his informants looking into the premature Alcor patient death claims, not from Johnson. He was just reporting what he had been told.

Have you read the book or just object completely?

October 23rd, 2009, 6:12 pm #7

IIRC, after not even having read it all yet, she posted on CN that she fully endorsed everything in it. After some objections by Mark Plus regarding the libellous and false claims made in LJ's book regarding Plus' place of residence and employment, Melody issued an apology and a retraction.

It would seem that just this one example of irresponsibly sensationalized fiction would be enough for her to cease any support of the book altogether. It certainly is enough for me. If LJ is so cavalier in his writings in this one instance, and the publisher obviously did no checking of the material, why should anyone believe anything else he has to say?

The press and certain individuals have of course taken off on many of the sensational-sounding items mentioned in the book which are of no importance at all. For those few items that Alcor really should fix, well, Alcor should fix them, and everyone should move on.

Time will tell if Melody continues to present LJ as a friend to whatever she is trying to accomplish.

FD
Well, FD. Have you read the book yet? What about the photos, documents and tape recordings? In your expert pro-Alcor opinion is it just “ irresponsibly sensationalized fiction”, as you termed it? However, a lot of it is credible enough to catch the attention of law enforcement. As for my opinion, I hope Johnson succeeds in his goal of bringing into cryonics some professionalism via regulations. Right now there seems to be none of it.

Come to think of it, you seem to by the strongest proponent of regulations, by wanting to create heavily regulated medical clinic(s), which would also double as cryo providers. Would you go to such a clinic? You might sit there in a dentist’s chair. As you sit there, the dentist gets a phone call after which he tells you sorry Mr. D. But this is an emergency. We got now a case and I have to go to cut off someone’s head and freeze it, so please come back tomorrow.

October 23rd, 2009, 6:42 pm #8

One side accuses him of being biased against Alcor, now the other side is calling him an Alcor apologist. Maybe I need to brush up on my logic, but I don't think it's possible for him to be both of those things at the same time. Again, I think the discussion would be a lot more productive if people spent less time composing their clever little accusations of ulterior motives. It's way too easy to unthinkingly smear your opponent with malignant intentions. Easy and also a bit boring.

October 23rd, 2009, 7:24 pm #9

“Maybe I need to brush up on my logic, but I don't think it's possible for him to be both of those things at the same time.”

Well, he:
1. Criticized Melody for being critical of Alcor.
2. He criticized Melody for agreeing with certain claims by Johnson
(“ irresponsibly sensationalized fiction”) against Alcor.
3. He scolded Melody for wanting to write a complaining letter (“rat’s letters”).

I'd say more people might not understand what is possible for him. Hope he explains himself.

October 23rd, 2009, 8:16 pm #10

One side accuses him of being biased against Alcor, now the other side is calling him an Alcor apologist. Maybe I need to brush up on my logic, but I don't think it's possible for him to be both of those things at the same time. Again, I think the discussion would be a lot more productive if people spent less time composing their clever little accusations of ulterior motives. It's way too easy to unthinkingly smear your opponent with malignant intentions. Easy and also a bit boring.
I sometimes feel like the only sane person in a world full of black & white thinkers. Everyone seems to think I have to be pro-Alcor or anti-Alcor. I look at individual issues, and some are pro-Alcor and some are anti-Alcor. If I take a position or view on one of them that happens to be pro-Alcor, that does not make me pro-Alcor on everything they do, like the true believer signed up types seem to be. If I take a position or a view on one of them that happens to be anti-Alcor, that does not make me anti-Alcor on everything, nor to want to destroy Alcor just for that one thing, like certain people we hear from frequently seem to have as an agenda.

I have the same criticisms of Alcor as I always have, before the current bunch of cryonics-bashers came along. Alcor's biggest problem at the root of every other problem they have is their do-nothing, self-perpetuating Board. That needs to change. If members have the right to elect who is on the Board, those elected members will feel a sense of responsibility to the general membership, and will be more involved in day to day activity. Alcor needs a credible standby service staffed with professionals, that is understood by everyone who is signed up for it - understood as to who is on it and their credentials. Just a couple of examples.

I am pro-Alcor to the extent that while they need to change, they also need to still be there, and they don't need their resources squandered fighting off lies and exaggerations published by a self-aggrandizing exhibitionist. But maybe some good will come of it. The few things in LJ's book that are valid criticisms should be identified objectively and addressed. Secondly, Alcor should make a bundle off of the sales of that book, if their lawyers suing LJ for violating the non-disclosure court order are any good. Alcor should be awarded attorney fees and a huge amount for damages, paid for in part by any income from book sales. Alcor's morale should be improved when people see LJ behind bars for contempt of court.

FD