"Until Cryonics Do Us Part," by Kerry Howley

"Until Cryonics Do Us Part," by Kerry Howley

July 8th, 2010, 2:52 pm #1

The Hostile Wife Phenomenon makes it to the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/magaz ... ics-t.html

July 8th, 2010, 7:28 pm #2

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2010/ ... t_CA1.html

As for the article... meh. It's all right, though I'm somewhat tired of being referred to as a "believer." Because you know what else I believe in? The laws of thermodynamics.

July 9th, 2010, 12:35 am #3

The verb "to venture" has the following meanings:
transitive verb

1 : to expose to hazard : risk, gamble
2 : to undertake the risks and dangers of : brave
3 : to offer at the risk of rebuff, rejection, or censure (venture an opinion)

intransitive verb

: to proceed especially in the face of danger

ven·tur·er \ven(t)-sh(-)rr\ noun
These definitions seem applicable to what cryonicists do, especially because we defy fear of the future, and we persevere in arguing for, and practicing, cryonics "at the risk of rebuff, rejection or censure."

July 9th, 2010, 7:09 pm #4

Hopefully the name isn't taken :D

But yeah, I fully support painting cryonicists in a more positive light. It's just unfortunate, given that supporting any other emergency medicine doesn't come with the need to produce such counter-labels. After all, I'm not much of a venturer when I need any type of surgery

July 15th, 2010, 7:41 pm #5

The Hostile Wife Phenomenon makes it to the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/magaz ... ics-t.html
On July 8 Mark Plus mentioned the upcoming article by Kerry Howley, which appeared July 11, Until Cryonics Do Us Part, about Alcor member Robin Hanson and his disapproving wife, Peggy jackson. Strangely, no further comment seems to have surfaced on Cold Filter, although relatively significant public relations questions arise.

The article appeared July 11, last Sunday. You can access it on line for free. It is interesting in several ways.

First, the piece itself was not particularly negative about cryonics, although the focus was the "hostile wife syndrome." One of the facts a reader might easily overlook is that, while the wife does indeed express disapproval in fairly strong terms, she does not say or imply that she will try to interfere with her husband's plans.

Of course there were many sins of omission, neglecting some of our best arguments and evidence. On the matter of interpretation of the alleged hostile wife syndrome, the author doesn't mention that one would expect dissension in any family, simply because a huge majority of ANY group at present is hostile or indifferent. In fact, families concur surprisingly often.

Her male/female numbers are wrong too. In the Cryonics Institute, about one third of members are female and slightly more than half of the patients (52 out of 98). (I attribute this to the fact that mothers are often beloved and tend to live longer.)

Interesting also are the comments from readers that the Magazine has published on line. Opinions differ as to the sentiment and meaningfulness, but it appears to me that the prevailing sentiment, among those who commented, was not at all unfriendly. The number of comments, I am told, was also somewhat higher than average. Also, the CI web site got a noticeable blip in hits that day.

All in all, nothing earth shaking, but my impression of this as a PR event is positive.

Robert Ettinger

July 15th, 2010, 8:05 pm #6

"Strangely, no further comment seems to have surfaced on Cold Filter, although relatively significant public relations questions arise."

The reason for it is that e have here an incompetent, duchenne terminal case as a moderator.

Here is a reasonable take on this:

Jonathan Hinek may insult others by calling them "the ebola virus of Cryonics, but he should explain to us why he refused to cryopreserve his mother and why he is now trying to get hold of her money. Here are 5 questions that Jonathan Hinek refuses to answer:

1. Why you refused to cryopreserve you mother after her recent death and what you have done instead with her remains?

2. What you have done with the proceeds of her estate instead of providing cryopreservation for your mother?

3. Are you a paid-up member of any cryonics preservation organization?

4. If you are not such member (in number 3 above), why not?

5. Were you ever charged with civil, or criminal violation of the law, or were involved in court proceedings and with what results?

So come-on Hinek and fess up!

Well, now we have a partial answer to question 1 and 2. Jonathan Hinek wrote the following on Internet forum:

"I'm in Florida and my lawyer is petitioning to have me named personal representative of my mother's estate. There is no will, but I am her only lineal descendant. Does the process take much longer when the estate is intestate? I realize every case is different, but is there a general time frame that is considered average:"

So the mother's money was the reason why the duchenne kook Jonathan Hinek refused to cryopreserve his own mother?

Conclusion: I think someone competent, such as for example FD should take up moderation of Cold Filter, once this incompetent, hostile moderator disappears.