The Russians are coming!

The Russians are coming!

April 1st, 2011, 3:06 am #1

Hooray. A nice note of cheer in what has recently seemed to be a litany of woes or possible impending woes for cryonics.

Representatives of the Russian cryonics organization, KrioRus, worked their way east from California, visiting Alcor and CI, and a couple of them, including Valerya Pride, were kind enough to pay me a courtesy visit today and bring me some memorabilia.

The big deal is that, founded in 2005, KrioRus already has 16 patients! By comparison, after ten years CI had one patient. (KrioRus has a mix of brains, heads, and whole bodies. They also have some dogs, cats, and birds.)

In some ways, of course, Russia might seem fertile ground, especially to those who think religion is a big obstacle, since the Soviet Union was officially atheistic for generations. But American atheists are not knocking down the doors, nor those in Asia.

In that last regard, however, there are possibilities. There are stirrings, including past or planned publication of my first book in Chinese, at least two versions, and in Korean. There are also business ventures being initiated in China.

Nobody can reliably forecast the market for cryonics at a particular time and place, and past experience has not been notably encouraging. But 16 patients since 2005 is impressive and cannot easily be explained away in a gloomy manner.

So pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile.

Robert Ettinger

April 1st, 2011, 3:36 am #2

Did you learn of any details about the financing of these 16 patients in support of long-term care?

April 1st, 2011, 4:55 am #3

No, I don't yet have details about their finances and other aspects.

R.E.

April 1st, 2011, 5:07 am #4

Did you learn of any details about the financing of these 16 patients in support of long-term care?
For over $170,000 more than CI charges, Alcor has this trust which is rumored to have lost half its value in the stock market, but which purports to be a vehicle for "long-term care" for its patients.

Well, if it isn't for reanimation, what is it for? Liquid nitrogen? That amount of money can buy a really huge amount of gas!

So what is the rationale for the ridiculously high suspension fee Alcor now has? Somehow my thoughts lead me to insurance. Life insurance policies fund in the millions of dollars, sometimes in the hundreds of millions. Probably no one can get one with a face value of $28,000, anymore.

Therefore, why shouldn't Alcor match their fee to what life insurance can be obtained cheaply for? Or do they indeed guarantee you will be reanimated, due to the high fee you are paying for?

If they don't, considering that amount of money they will get upon your demise, you can simply consider that organization as, "passing gas".
Last edited by CF_Moderator on April 1st, 2011, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2011, 2:29 pm #5

What does any of that have to do with Robert Ettinger, Cryonics Institute, or KrioRus?

April 1st, 2011, 3:22 pm #6

Hooray. A nice note of cheer in what has recently seemed to be a litany of woes or possible impending woes for cryonics.

Representatives of the Russian cryonics organization, KrioRus, worked their way east from California, visiting Alcor and CI, and a couple of them, including Valerya Pride, were kind enough to pay me a courtesy visit today and bring me some memorabilia.

The big deal is that, founded in 2005, KrioRus already has 16 patients! By comparison, after ten years CI had one patient. (KrioRus has a mix of brains, heads, and whole bodies. They also have some dogs, cats, and birds.)

In some ways, of course, Russia might seem fertile ground, especially to those who think religion is a big obstacle, since the Soviet Union was officially atheistic for generations. But American atheists are not knocking down the doors, nor those in Asia.

In that last regard, however, there are possibilities. There are stirrings, including past or planned publication of my first book in Chinese, at least two versions, and in Korean. There are also business ventures being initiated in China.

Nobody can reliably forecast the market for cryonics at a particular time and place, and past experience has not been notably encouraging. But 16 patients since 2005 is impressive and cannot easily be explained away in a gloomy manner.

Robert Ettinger
This is indeed great news. I had the pleasure of meeting with Danila Medvedev along with Mike Darwin yesterday. He seems like a very level-headed individual, and very goal-oriented. He recommended a book to us called "Crucial Conversations" which I look forward to reading. There is a WikiSummaries version which appears very good. The stakes can't get much higher than when discussing cryonics!

April 1st, 2011, 4:02 pm #7

What does any of that have to do with Robert Ettinger, Cryonics Institute, or KrioRus?
Mathew is an Alcor member, which I mentioned in my other post and the forum owner dutifully deleted. A "true blue" one as he once described himself to me. That is the perspective from which anything he says must be viewed, and that includes the post he made above.

Cheers,

FD

April 1st, 2011, 9:28 pm #8

For over $170,000 more than CI charges, Alcor has this trust which is rumored to have lost half its value in the stock market, but which purports to be a vehicle for "long-term care" for its patients.

Well, if it isn't for reanimation, what is it for? Liquid nitrogen? That amount of money can buy a really huge amount of gas!

So what is the rationale for the ridiculously high suspension fee Alcor now has? Somehow my thoughts lead me to insurance. Life insurance policies fund in the millions of dollars, sometimes in the hundreds of millions. Probably no one can get one with a face value of $28,000, anymore.

Therefore, why shouldn't Alcor match their fee to what life insurance can be obtained cheaply for? Or do they indeed guarantee you will be reanimated, due to the high fee you are paying for?

If they don't, considering that amount of money they will get upon your demise, you can simply consider that organization as, "passing gas".
I do think it is a bit on the high side. But who exactly says "it isn't for reanimation"?

April 1st, 2011, 10:17 pm #9

Robert Ettinger
Valerya Pride was accompanied by cameraman and cryonicist Stas Lipin, to whom a belated thank you.

Robert Ettinger

April 2nd, 2011, 2:45 am #10

No, I don't yet have details about their finances and other aspects.

R.E.
The reason why I ask is there is some debate elsewhere in another forum that they are offering a pay as you go option. I don't know if this allegation is true, but as we all know, this was tried here in the early days of cryonics and it didn't work out very well.