The Most Mysterious Cryo-Provider

The Most Mysterious Cryo-Provider

July 5th, 2009, 5:50 pm #1

SA - Suspended Animation, Inc.

May 2008 was the last time SA performed any cryo-related services. The last News Bulletin SA issued was on December 22, 2008. It consisted solely of "2008 Seasons greetings". The listing of SA personnel has been purged of all names. The Network Solution registry of SA web site has been likewise purged of all names.

What is this mysterious company? Is it still functioning, or it died (pardon - was suspended) long time ago? Who are the principals in it? Who is in charge at SA? What is their financial condition? Their DB rating? Are they bonded, or insured? Do they provide any references (bank, or other)? Some time ago, an MD here claimed that it was OK for SA to use medical supplies 10 years after their marked expiration date. Did it change, or is it still the same? And last, but not least: Is it safe to trust them and sign a long-term cryo contract lasting many years with them?

George

P.S. One more question: Is Ms. Badwin real? If so, does she know there is such thing as Internet, and various discussion forums and blogs, where she can express herself and assure us that she is real and is really at SA?

July 5th, 2009, 11:00 pm #2

"May 2008 was the last time SA performed any cryo-related services."

Alcor News, May 2009 reported that SA deployed three people and associated equipment for an Alcor case in April of this year. (The patient recovered and was not cryopreserved.)

Cryonet, June 28, 2009 reported that CI had cryopreserved cryonics pioneer Curtis Henderson. No detailed report on this case has been published yet. George, if you are sure that a standby was not provided, may I ask who your source was?

July 5th, 2009, 11:23 pm #3

Charles Platt: "George, if you are sure that a standby was not provided, may I ask who your source was?”

Sure. The official web site of Suspended Animation. Maybe they are the last ones to know :-) Or would they tried to conceal it?

July 7th, 2009, 10:39 pm #4

"May 2008 was the last time SA performed any cryo-related services."

Alcor News, May 2009 reported that SA deployed three people and associated equipment for an Alcor case in April of this year. (The patient recovered and was not cryopreserved.)

Cryonet, June 28, 2009 reported that CI had cryopreserved cryonics pioneer Curtis Henderson. No detailed report on this case has been published yet. George, if you are sure that a standby was not provided, may I ask who your source was?
Charles, once more you obfuscated a serious inquiry with trivia. The serious point was SA business credentials. More precisely, the total absence of them. According to their web site, SA is asking for their services (quoting:) “Tens of Thousands of Dollars”. It is in their FAQ. That is the only mentioning of their fees. Here is from their FAQ:

Q. How much does it cost?

A. The cost of providing standby, stabilization and transport services runs in the tens of thousands of dollars. Depending on the cryopreservation provider, a number of levels of service and funding options, such as life insurance, may be available to cover the costs of standby, stabilization and transport.

So they are asking “Tens of Thousands of Dollars”. Sure. How lovely! Nowhere their Web site itemizes it, or identifies details. Nowhere they give any business, D&B, or bank references. Nothing at all. Just send in the money. But to whom? SA is like a black box, there is absolutely no disclosure about them. If some used car dealership tried to conduct business in such shady manner, FTC would jump all over them like an 800-pound gorilla. And rightly so. I think it is overdue for the FTC to put SA under scrutiny.

George

July 7th, 2009, 11:01 pm #5

Stabilization-transport from SA costs $30,000 when arrangements are to pay by life insurance, for a patient in a remote location. If you want to save money, you can either move closer or prepay. Doing both of these things will save you $10,000.

http://www.cryonics.org/SA/SA_CI_Announcement.html

July 7th, 2009, 11:38 pm #6

CI? Really? If you want to buy Toyota, do not go to Toyota, go to Chrysler.

July 8th, 2009, 1:33 am #7

it is not my role or function to answer questions on behalf of any organization, since I don't work for them. I was just trying to point out that your initial statement is not factually correct, bearing in mind the item that I quoted from Alcor News.

July 8th, 2009, 2:48 am #8

Charles I do not blame you. The SA CEO’s bio was completely erased from SA web site. But in case I still do remember correctly, when it was there it said that "CEO Ms. Baldwin was the senior business strategist for Stratagos, a strategic business consulting company she founded to help both mature and start-up biotechnology companies develop rational business plans.”

Does not she have also an advanced business management degree (MBA)? So far any “Rational business plan” does not seem to be ready for prime time.

George

July 8th, 2009, 6:08 am #9

... we had smiley faces galore, even Mathew's. And of course Mr. Shades'.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www ... dedinc.com

I wonder if it is now that they are trying to cover their "reputations" by trying not to associate themselves with cryonics, especially faux-cryonics of people walking around grinningly sporting beakers of an unknown red fluid, so that they can they think more easily find new employment when the big daddy bonus wears out?

Enjoy,

FD

July 8th, 2009, 1:49 pm #10

CI? Really? If you want to buy Toyota, do not go to Toyota, go to Chrysler.
SA works on a contract basis with cryo storage facilities like CI and Alcor. What they do is the entirely different (but equally important, and incredibly difficult) task of standby-transport. They do not compete with CI or Alcor.

If you were to only find CI prices on the Alcor website, that would be pretty silly. They actually do compete with each other.

In any case, there are plenty of websites that serve only to show the existence of a company, and do not feature prices. Usually there is a phone number you are supposed to call for a quote. Nobody calls the FTC on these people.