The Cryonics Institute's business environment

The Cryonics Institute's business environment

May 31st, 2009, 2:54 pm #1

Given that CI resides near the center of the American auto industry, I wonder how the economic implosion there will effect its operations.

For one thing, the collapse in tax revenues has caused the state and local governments in Michigan to cut back on all kinds of services, including infrastructure maintenance, education, healthcare and law enforcement. How far can Michigan go before the depletion of the built-up capital we take for granted in the U.S. causes civilization there to enter a failure mode?
Last edited by advancedatheist on May 31st, 2009, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 1st, 2009, 5:36 am #2

Most of their economic support is from farflung members, similar to Alcor, as I understand it. My take on that is that they will survive just fine as long as the rest of the USA does. They could go far afield and further south to obtain supplies such as liquid nitrogen. If the electric goes off at their establishment, they could run generators and import gas or diesel. Besides, their storage should not depend on electric; I hope it doesn't.

Alcor, on the other hand, might be at the forefront of a national failure mode. The hotter the environment is, the less likely support people are to stay in the area and not move north.

Cheers,

FD

June 1st, 2009, 10:41 am #3

we alcorians (tee hee) are gonna really make some bold moves. We have some great celebrities in line who are gonna get cryopreserved. Draw a lot of national attention. We are gonna start mixing religion with cryonics. It's gonna be a huge media story. Of course, as usual, if there are any negative consequences of our actions, CI will almost certainly bear the brunt. We at alcor seem to lead a charmed existence. But our ugly stepsister CI always stepped to take it on the chin for our mishaps.

So, get ready for some fecal matter to fall on CI, cuz we alcorians are gonna shake things up.

Are you CI members ready to ready the fallout from our bold moves?

June 1st, 2009, 2:03 pm #4

I'm oddly disappointed.

June 1st, 2009, 2:22 pm #5

we alcorians (tee hee) are gonna really make some bold moves. We have some great celebrities in line who are gonna get cryopreserved. Draw a lot of national attention. We are gonna start mixing religion with cryonics. It's gonna be a huge media story. Of course, as usual, if there are any negative consequences of our actions, CI will almost certainly bear the brunt. We at alcor seem to lead a charmed existence. But our ugly stepsister CI always stepped to take it on the chin for our mishaps.

So, get ready for some fecal matter to fall on CI, cuz we alcorians are gonna shake things up.

Are you CI members ready to ready the fallout from our bold moves?
Unperson: “we alcorians (tee hee) are gonna really make some bold moves.”

I just would like to know how many of you alcorians are there? Alcor, unlike CI, considers their membership statistics to be top secret. CI published today new statistics. As of June 1st CI has:

Total Members: 797
Funded Members with Contracts: 371
Funded CI Members with Suspended Animation Contracts: 70
Human Patients in Cryostasis: 93

The million Dollar question is why Alcor keeps their stats so secret? Are they trying to hide something, or do they give a damn about their dues paying “members”?

June 1st, 2009, 5:26 pm #6

Most of their economic support is from farflung members, similar to Alcor, as I understand it. My take on that is that they will survive just fine as long as the rest of the USA does. They could go far afield and further south to obtain supplies such as liquid nitrogen. If the electric goes off at their establishment, they could run generators and import gas or diesel. Besides, their storage should not depend on electric; I hope it doesn't.

Alcor, on the other hand, might be at the forefront of a national failure mode. The hotter the environment is, the less likely support people are to stay in the area and not move north.

Cheers,

FD
Or will it have to move to a gated community like Omni Consumer Products' "Delta City"?

BTW, several people have observed that as police officers in the U.S. see their wages decline and their benefits and pensions disappear, that will make them much more willing to try to shake down the people and businesses they "protect," just like the corrupt law enforcement officials in less developed countries. Ben Best might have to hand a sack of cash out CI's back door to a Clinton Township police officer every week as the price of not having anything bad happen to the patients.

June 1st, 2009, 6:13 pm #7

I'm oddly disappointed.
I was just busting FD's chops because I know he is a CI guy who is on a multi year crusade against Alcor because of what happened to CI as a consequence of the Ted Williams affair.

As for the cryo-relgion thing, I am serious about it, although I think you missed the concept there. Not surprising. You are gonna fit in real well with the online cryo set. I suggest you go over to Imminst forums. They are just your type, too.

June 2nd, 2009, 4:52 am #8

You "know" I am a "CI guy"? Let's hear it. You don't even know who I am, so how could you have any such proof?

If you use Potvinesque free association methods of thinking, please tell us that too. It would give us a proper framework in which to view all of your remarks.

Actually, most of your posts already show you to be some strange kind of nutcase, so it would not surprise me if you ignore this post, nor would it deter the reader from having already made sensible judgments about you from your other posts.

And if you use free association methods of thinking, you could just as well conclude that I am, QUITE UNLIKE YOU, an Alcor member who is entirely dissatisfied with the way Alcor does things.

Maybe you should just take my front page as is. I'm a prospective member of some yet unnamed cryo org, on the outside looking in, and seeing horrific things that need to be corrected. Of course you will not believe that and will continue to bury your ostrich head in the cultish areas of the Alcor sand.

Cheers,

FD
Last edited by Finance_Department on June 2nd, 2009, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 2nd, 2009, 5:45 am #9

Given that CI resides near the center of the American auto industry, I wonder how the economic implosion there will effect its operations.

For one thing, the collapse in tax revenues has caused the state and local governments in Michigan to cut back on all kinds of services, including infrastructure maintenance, education, healthcare and law enforcement. How far can Michigan go before the depletion of the built-up capital we take for granted in the U.S. causes civilization there to enter a failure mode?
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/forecas ... ther_N.htm

By Andrea Stone and Doyle Rice, USA TODAY

Summer is three weeks away, but many regions already are sweating out unseasonably warm weather that promises plenty of dog days ahead.

Above-normal temperatures have registered in 13 states in the South and Southwest so far this year. Also, Portland, Maine, topped 90 degrees for the first time in April. And Washington Dulles International Airport outside the nation's capital notched its earliest three-day string of 90-degree days since records began in 1962.

The spring heat could be a sign of a toasty summer ahead, according to the Climate Prediction Center in Camp Springs, Md. It forecasts a warmer-than-average season for the entire Eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida. Much of the Gulf Coast and West are also likely in for higher temperatures, with the Desert Southwest forecast to endure an even hotter summer than usual.

Phoenix where triple-digit days are the summer norm could suffer temperatures rivaling the heat wave of 2007, when the mercury topped 110 degrees more than 30 times. Las Vegas and much of New Mexico, in the midst of its ninth-warmest year on record, also could be in for long, hot summers.

Hot often means dry, and 2009 has been the fourth-driest on record for the Northeast. Forecasters offer little hope for relief in California, Nevada, Hawaii and parts of Washington state, where persistent drought makes wildfires a perennial threat.

June 2nd, 2009, 10:42 am #10

You "know" I am a "CI guy"? Let's hear it. You don't even know who I am, so how could you have any such proof?

If you use Potvinesque free association methods of thinking, please tell us that too. It would give us a proper framework in which to view all of your remarks.

Actually, most of your posts already show you to be some strange kind of nutcase, so it would not surprise me if you ignore this post, nor would it deter the reader from having already made sensible judgments about you from your other posts.

And if you use free association methods of thinking, you could just as well conclude that I am, QUITE UNLIKE YOU, an Alcor member who is entirely dissatisfied with the way Alcor does things.

Maybe you should just take my front page as is. I'm a prospective member of some yet unnamed cryo org, on the outside looking in, and seeing horrific things that need to be corrected. Of course you will not believe that and will continue to bury your ostrich head in the cultish areas of the Alcor sand.

Cheers,

FD
like you did just above in this thread.

And of course you showed up here attacking Alcor not too long after TW affair.

your main thing against alcor is the voting thing. Now, if the directors had been elected by the members, I suppose you figure they would never have done the TW thing, and CI would not now be a cemetery.

Just speculation on my part. An educated guess.

And there have been a couple other slip ups on your part over the years.

hey, it's your life, man.

I'm just busting your balls a little, ya know.

What we do here is almost certainly going to be lost in time, like tears in rain, as the man said.

Do your thing, dude. Don't let me bother you.

No hard feelings.

I could even be wrong. It's possible. It has happened before.

And just keep one thing in mind.....