Stephen Hawking: Humans Should Fear Aliens

Stephen Hawking: Humans Should Fear Aliens

April 30th, 2010, 12:24 am #1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/2 ... 51035.html

From the article:

[World renowned scientist Stephen Hawking believes extraterrestrial life almost certainly exists -- and humans should be extremely cautious about interacting with it.

"To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational," Hawking says in a new Discovery Channel series called Stephen Hawking's Universe.

He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on ... He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is "a little too risky". He said: "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."]

I certainly agree. Furthermore, the same applies to a different form of alien: Artificial Intelligence. The Singularity AI, if humans allow it to come about, will grow exponentially in power and ability to use it. It will grow to view humans as similar in importance to how we view insects and bacteria.

Futuristically yours,

FD

PS: Hi un

April 30th, 2010, 12:42 am #2

I'm surprised no one commented on the nanotechnology link I posted.

This woman believes nanotechnology "beings" are entering humans through the enviroment, either naturally or through some conspiracy and causing a new "disease". One researcher who has examined the devices finds them composed of living, silca and fiber optic material, difficult to destroy even with 1700 degree heat.

Yeah, bizarre, I know, but just as believable as anything else I've read here. They've even used the term transhuman...

April 30th, 2010, 9:59 pm #3

How are speculations about possible future technology in the same category as conspiracy theories about aliens invading us with nano bots in the here and now?

April 30th, 2010, 10:36 pm #4

could escape into the environment and infect people is just as believable as frozen corpses being brought back to life at some point in the future.

I don't think I said anything about aliens except agreeing that contact with them could pose a threat.

April 30th, 2010, 11:19 pm #5

How are speculations about possible future technology in the same category as conspiracy theories about aliens invading us with nano bots in the here and now?
“How are speculations about possible future technology in the same category as conspiracy theories about aliens invading us with nano bots?”

Try reading for context, if you can. No one said they are in the same category.

May 4th, 2010, 12:26 pm #6

could escape into the environment and infect people is just as believable as frozen corpses being brought back to life at some point in the future.

I don't think I said anything about aliens except agreeing that contact with them could pose a threat.
1) The possibility of nanotechnology causing harm to the environment is another matter entirely. According to the link you posted, nanotechnology is already infesting people:

http://www.morgellonsexposed.com/Living ... htmare.htm ( Be sure to check out the section on chemtrails)

There is no credible evidence for what he proposes. This sort of thing is actually a common psychiatric disorder known as delusional parasitosis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusional_parasitosis

People with this disorder believe that they are infected with bugs or worms or some other form of parasite, but are not. There are other similar paranoid delusions in which individuals believe that they have been implanted with some sort of communication or tracking device, or possibly a device intended for mind control. It is common for such people to create conspiracy theories wherein a government agency, aliens, or some other powerful and nefarious organization is responsible. It sounds to me like the person who made the website you linked to has discovered a new variant of this condition.

2) Cryonics, on the other hand, is a practice based on speculations about FUTURE innovations and the trajectory of technological advancement as a historic trend. Cryonicists believe in the well-demonstrated idea that death is ultimately a result of a relatively lengthy chemical process, not an instantaneous and irreversible single event. It is believed that this process can be slowed, or even halted, with cooling, vitrification, and low temperature storage.

I know you are already familiar with the concept, but I just wanted to lay both ideas out there for the purpose of comparison. In my opinion, maintaining that these two things are equivalent is an insult.

May 4th, 2010, 6:58 pm #7

just so we stop arguing which angel is the true one...

May 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm #8

Far-fetched speculation about future technology and paranoid delusions are in the same boat? Like arguing over who has the better religion, or true angel? Is that really how you see it, or are you just messing with me?
Last edited by CF_Moderator on May 4th, 2010, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 5th, 2010, 2:23 am #9

presents some pretty convincing evidence of things coming out of her body. Those aren't paranoid delusions OR speculation, unless she's just winding everyone up.

I don't know what they are, I don't know if they're being implanted by aliens or the result of some worldwide conspiracy nor do I really care.

But they seem as real to me as bringing a frozen corpse back to life. That's all. Yes, there's evidence that frozen tissue can be revived at some future point. But it seems there is the spark of something that is life and I've seen no evidence of that being restored, at least in the complex form of a human.

Lots of possibilities are worthy of further examination.

Come on, some folks think cryonics people are paranoid and delusional!

May 5th, 2010, 3:47 pm #10

Most dermatologists and other experts agree that the condition, or constellation of symptoms, given the name "Morgellons" is not a novel disease. There are plenty of references here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgellons

That's why the government is not taking her research seriously. Those are not nanoparticles, they are probably just textile fibers that have made their way into lesions or other openings.

I'm sure some cryonicists are paranoid and delusional, but that isn't the same thing as saying that something is a paranoid delusion.