Paul Rudd to star as man who freezes people

Paul Rudd to star as man who freezes people

July 12th, 2011, 2:50 am #1

July 24th, 2011, 8:49 pm #2

It's an interesting choice. Paul Rudd is known mostly for his comedic roles. He did some dramatic work earlier in his career. I've read the script and it's very good. It will be a great opportunity for Rudd to show his stuff. While there are some comedic moments in the film, it's predominately a drama.

July 26th, 2011, 7:00 am #3

You wrote: "While there are some comedic moments in the film, it's predominately a drama."

Unless one intends to portray cryonics as some form of comedic joke.

As I recall, IMDb classified the project as nothing more than a comedy, well in advance of Paul Rudd officially stepping on board. Now, the description has changed to: Drama, Comedy, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller. All of which could simply boil down to limited information on IMDb's part that has become more apparent with time.

I can't say that I will appreciate the film if the intent is to turn cryonics into some form of comedic joke, but if there is a legitimate intent to portray the facts as best as possible, I'm not against disrespecting legitimate criticisms. I personally think constructive criticism is exceptionally valuable, and those who have thoughts in this area should be valued. On the other hand, there are those who propagate false information out of some from of personal motivation, which I don't respect.

We have enough blatant challenges that I find myself somewhat bewildered when people propagate false information; at least, until I realize their personal motivation. These motivations normally boil down to money, attempts at personal/political gain, or an attempt to extract a pound of flesh from another, etc.

You claim to have read the script, but I thought it was just now being written.

July 26th, 2011, 4:32 pm #4

Zach Helm has completed the script. Bob and I were also assured by both Zack Helm and Errol Morris that this will be predominately a drama. The film was mistakenly reported by Variety to be a dark comedy. I can tell you that Zack and Errol were moved by the story and are treating it with the respect it deserves.

It's also mistakenly reported to be based on Bob's first book, We Froze The First Man, which is limited to the freezing of James Bedford. While it does spend time on the Bedford freezing, it's based more on the book he and I wrote (unpublished at this point) that tells his experiences from the Bedford freezing through the trial. It's not meant to be a commentary on cryonics one way or another, though Zach and Errol take the subject seriously.

July 27th, 2011, 5:21 am #5

I can appreciate how various claims in relation to cryonics can easily spin-out of control in the public domain. What's the status on the prospect of publishing the book? I'm sure you will want it out on the shelves prior to the movie, right?