My "Reputation is Too Low" on Cryonet

My "Reputation is Too Low" on Cryonet

September 23rd, 2009, 12:15 pm #1

I sent the following post, to Cryonet, yesterday, only to find that, suddenly, my "reputation is too low, so my posts don't appear on Cryonet:

"X-Message-Number: 31992
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:19:07 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Owada - CAS

The cryo-orgs should thoroughly investigate this technology, and it would be
encouraging if they would pay for an outside evaluation. I don't believe many,
(if any), of the existing cryonics personnel have the knowledge and/or
experience required, to produce a proper, non-biased evaluation, and the
majority of people working in cryonics a vested interest in continuing on the
course they are on, (regardless of how very little progress has been made).

Melody Maxim

Rate This Message:http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=31992

Warning: This message was filtered from the daily CryoNet digestbecause the poster's reputation was too low.It thus may need to be rated."

To the person(s) who arranged the reputation issue, I have this to say to you...NOTHING short of reform is going to stop me from expressing my opinions of the incompetency and corruption, in cryonics. It seems some people don't want to hear opinions that differ from their own. If that's the way they want to play, a friend of mine has been holding a stack of pre-addressed envelopes, all containing the same letter, that will be going out to every regulatory agency in Florida, Arizona and a host of Federal Agencies. Someone has been holding these letters for me, for months, with the instruction to mail them at my request, or should anything happen to me. (And, no, I am not afraid of the imbeciles who threatened Larry Johnson, I am afraid of something accidental ending all the "work" I have done, trying to reform cryonics.)

I have come too far to stop now. Nothing short of serious reform in cryonics is going to stop me...not Platt and Harris' lies, Sparks' personal attacks, or people conspiring to keep my posts off of Cryonet. Though I am rather weary of this all, I am quite serious about it. A couple of boneheads posting against me, here, or arranging to keep my posts off of Cryonet, are only going to antagonize me into doing something I don't really want to do.

I hope some of the people reading this post will pop over to Cryonet and complain about the obviously politically-oriented censorship of my post.

Thanks.

September 23rd, 2009, 4:59 pm #2

I suggest you familiarize yourself with how it works. A handful of negative ratings with no positive ratings to compensate results in the approval rating being too low to include a message in the daily digest. It still, however, goes into the archive with its own message number.

Here is a place to start:
http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=24033

Other postings by Kevin Brown and Kevin Q. Brown describe more about the system.

You can learn how to find out what your own overall rating is at any given point in time, and if you find it too low, can get some of your friends to help change it by rating your posts, old and new, favorably.

Good luck,

FD

September 23rd, 2009, 5:45 pm #3

Are you not curious as to why Maxim might have been bumped? What would be the motive of anyone in Cryonet readership to bump her do you imagine?

September 23rd, 2009, 6:01 pm #4

I sent the following post, to Cryonet, yesterday, only to find that, suddenly, my "reputation is too low, so my posts don't appear on Cryonet:

"X-Message-Number: 31992
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:19:07 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Owada - CAS

The cryo-orgs should thoroughly investigate this technology, and it would be
encouraging if they would pay for an outside evaluation. I don't believe many,
(if any), of the existing cryonics personnel have the knowledge and/or
experience required, to produce a proper, non-biased evaluation, and the
majority of people working in cryonics a vested interest in continuing on the
course they are on, (regardless of how very little progress has been made).

Melody Maxim

Rate This Message:http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/rate.cgi?msg=31992

Warning: This message was filtered from the daily CryoNet digestbecause the poster's reputation was too low.It thus may need to be rated."

To the person(s) who arranged the reputation issue, I have this to say to you...NOTHING short of reform is going to stop me from expressing my opinions of the incompetency and corruption, in cryonics. It seems some people don't want to hear opinions that differ from their own. If that's the way they want to play, a friend of mine has been holding a stack of pre-addressed envelopes, all containing the same letter, that will be going out to every regulatory agency in Florida, Arizona and a host of Federal Agencies. Someone has been holding these letters for me, for months, with the instruction to mail them at my request, or should anything happen to me. (And, no, I am not afraid of the imbeciles who threatened Larry Johnson, I am afraid of something accidental ending all the "work" I have done, trying to reform cryonics.)

I have come too far to stop now. Nothing short of serious reform in cryonics is going to stop me...not Platt and Harris' lies, Sparks' personal attacks, or people conspiring to keep my posts off of Cryonet. Though I am rather weary of this all, I am quite serious about it. A couple of boneheads posting against me, here, or arranging to keep my posts off of Cryonet, are only going to antagonize me into doing something I don't really want to do.

I hope some of the people reading this post will pop over to Cryonet and complain about the obviously politically-oriented censorship of my post.

Thanks.
those sharing the Kool-Aid.

Maybe its not a discussion forum, where differing views are explored.

September 23rd, 2009, 6:46 pm #5

I suggest you familiarize yourself with how it works. A handful of negative ratings with no positive ratings to compensate results in the approval rating being too low to include a message in the daily digest. It still, however, goes into the archive with its own message number.

Other postings by Kevin Brown and Kevin Q. Brown describe more about the system.

You can learn how to find out what your own overall rating is at any given point in time, and if you find it too low, can get some of your friends to help change it by rating your posts, old and new, favorably.

Good luck,

FD
...it's designed so that a handful of cowards who have no legitimate defense against my criticisms can "blackball" me, or anyone else who threatens their fragile egos. I've posted there, from time-to-time, with no previous problems that I can recall. My last post was one in response to someone posting about how "polite" Alcor personnel were, when awakened at 1:00am. My message was not to mistake politeness for competency, (something that has happened, frequently, in cryonics). My post was not out of line, in any way, and Shannon Vyff even thanked me, on Cryonet, for "keeping professional expectations high."

PhilO
PhilO

September 23rd, 2009, 7:36 pm #6

...but then I found new ways to communicate online. And your blog is one of them. Another is simply keep posting to Cryonet archive. Another is adding email lists to the blog. And of course, there's THIS Cold Filter which is a descendent of my Cryonics CAfe... that broke the back of Cryonet years ago.. with mixed results.. until I led the way on helping others to N54 forums... which led me to help Hinek start this one... which then banned me... I've been banned ALL OVER THE PLACE in cryonics...

September 24th, 2009, 1:32 am #7

...it's designed so that a handful of cowards who have no legitimate defense against my criticisms can "blackball" me, or anyone else who threatens their fragile egos. I've posted there, from time-to-time, with no previous problems that I can recall. My last post was one in response to someone posting about how "polite" Alcor personnel were, when awakened at 1:00am. My message was not to mistake politeness for competency, (something that has happened, frequently, in cryonics). My post was not out of line, in any way, and Shannon Vyff even thanked me, on Cryonet, for "keeping professional expectations high."
Your response is understandably cynical, and of course not quite on target. The CryoNet rating system was designed for everyone's posts, not just yours. Ones that tend to upset existing paradigms are going to find more evaluators who consider anything that upsets the status quo a threat. Unfortunately it is often the case that those are the ones who evaluate, and those who think a post offers great new ideas do not bother to evaluate.

I don't have a firm opinion on their rating system; I see many flaws in it. As a practical thing though, you should get other CryoNet readers who you know like what you have to say, to support you with their evaluations. Ask them to rate all the posts you ever made. I'd be glad to help in that regard, if you care.

Phil wonders who would want to rate Melody's posts down and why. I'd say the "who" answer is obvious. If we ever figured out why, we would also have the elusive answer to why Faloon and Kent insist on using their money to perpetuate a low standard of professionalism in cryonics.

FD

September 24th, 2009, 4:12 am #8

To some extent, you hit on one of the flaws in the CryoNet Rating System.

If history serves my mind correctly, the CN owner Kevin Brown started the rating system to be some kind of way to push the responsibility of what material on CN is appropriate, from his shoulders, onto those of the CN subscribers.

To the extent this could be labelled "democracy" I have been naturally inclined to applaud it.

All it has done, alas, in most cases, seems to be to permit as little as one person unhappy with someone else's posts, to rate a few of another's negatively, to get them banned from the daily digest (but not from the archives).

Many people only read the archives, and do not get the daily material, so that is irrelevant for them.

Considering that, it is almost a non-issue.

FD

Lurker
Lurker

September 24th, 2009, 7:49 am #9

It is not just wanting to drink the koolaid, though I have come to believe that is a critical component in cryonics. I believe there are truly people who want to make cryonics work to the best of current scientific ability. I have also come to believe that current scientific ability is insufficient. And this is sad.

Maybe what Ms. Maxim proposes is sufficient to protect the patients, but there is no research to back it up yet. Where are the articles proving identity survives freezing? Where are the journal articles proving that washouts protect the brain? Where are the publications or proof showing that cryonics has even the remotest of hopes?

This community seems fragmented and broken. Can any amount of asking questions make a difference, and if so, how?

September 24th, 2009, 5:57 pm #10

Good luck,

FD
FD: "You can learn how to find out what your own overall rating is at any given point in time, and if you find it too low, can get some of your friends to help change it by rating your posts, old and new, favorably."

I don't really like having to ask people to engage in those types of petty, adolescent games. I've got a better idea. I think the jackass(es) who bothered to give my posts negative ratings should pop back over there and rectify the situation. Either that, or they can share in the blame, when I send my messages elsewhere.