Is This an Admission that Ted Williams' Head WAS Hit with a Wrench?

Is This an Admission that Ted Williams' Head WAS Hit with a Wrench?

November 16th, 2009, 2:14 pm #1

Steve Harris: "Much of the rest of the stuff in FROZEN and the debate of it, is surreal: it seems to me that the the people who don't want to cremate Ted Williams are outraged that his skin was accidently chipped."
http://www.network54.com/Forum/291677/m ... make+money...-----

This seems to be confirmation that TW's head was, indeed, hit by someone swinging a wrench, while trying to dislodge a tuna can. Though I can appreciate the point of view that " (only) skin was accidentally chipped," (which doesn't seem very important in the grand scheme for someone who needs a whole new body), I can't get past the fact that Harris, and others working in cryonics, don't see the PR impact of this type of moronic freak show. This type of foolishness can be, and HAS BEEN, very damaging to cryonics.

For TWrelated, (who I am sure will be reading this post), in answer to your question as to why, with so many people present, a Japanese woman with little mastery of the English language, took the surgical notes for your relative...she no doubt got that job, due to her status as Platt's SI.

November 16th, 2009, 6:12 pm #2

I don't understand why the can had to be wacked off. I think it's perfectly believable that the can was there and they wacked it. It's got "cred". So Harris's SLIP here is consistent with that. But more to the point-- is why did the can have to be wacked off? If you have a neuro in a dewar, the can won't hurt him.

November 16th, 2009, 7:45 pm #3

Steve Harris: "Much of the rest of the stuff in FROZEN and the debate of it, is surreal: it seems to me that the the people who don't want to cremate Ted Williams are outraged that his skin was accidently chipped."

This seems to be confirmation that TW's head was, indeed, hit by someone swinging a wrench, while trying to dislodge a tuna can. Though I can appreciate the point of view that " (only) skin was accidentally chipped," (which doesn't seem very important in the grand scheme for someone who needs a whole new body), I can't get past the fact that Harris, and others working in cryonics, don't see the PR impact of this type of moronic freak show. This type of foolishness can be, and HAS BEEN, very damaging to cryonics.

For TWrelated, (who I am sure will be reading this post), in answer to your question as to why, with so many people present, a Japanese woman with little mastery of the English language, took the surgical notes for your relative...she no doubt got that job, due to her status as Platt's SI.
Melody Maxim (Login melmax)
Veteran Member
Posted Nov 16, 2009 9:14 AM

================================

It's not an admission of anything. I'm told he wasn't hit, but I wasn't there. I have noted that this question is settleable by a superficial examination, so there's no point in debating it, as physical evidence will settle what the truth is.

I was trying to point out merely that some of the outrage seems odd, as its coming from the family that wants to burn the head. But perhaps I've conflated two groups.

The story of the can and wrench is somewhat puzzling just from how it's described in the book. An aluminum can stuck by the rim to tissue just from freezing contact, would not require a slugger's swing from anything to remove, but merely a couple of taps. Which is what I was told happened. Frankly, I can't think of any way to glue a metal to human tissue at those temperatures with any kind of bond that has any strength in it, and which would require force to separate.

But again, I have no direct knowledge. Johnson was there and says he saw it, but others there saw something different. A situation which occurs over and over again in this book. My own personal experience with Johnson makes me skeptical, and why shouldn't it?
Last edited by StevenHarris on November 16th, 2009, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.