I have a question about the value of life in a medical emergency

I have a question about the value of life in a medical emergency

October 27th, 2010, 1:12 am #1

If you or someone you love is suffering from a serious illness where death may be imminent, what is your response to hospital personnel who approach you with the following question before enquiring about the nature of the medical emergency:

What... is... your... religion?

You express concern about the medical situation and ask for help, but all you get is:

What... is... your... religion?

October 27th, 2010, 1:55 am #2

I'd pull out my gold card. ;)
The religious hospitals here don't ask that question, except for the catholic one.
But only when your filling out paper work.
So I suppose this is hypothetical?

October 27th, 2010, 2:17 am #3

While you or you loved one is on the verge of dying, the hospital personnel responds:

Your response is not satisfactory, what is your religion?

October 27th, 2010, 2:31 pm #4

Does that really actually happen in life threatening situations? Every time I've been to the emergency room there's been a form of triage. You only get the paperwork questions once you are triaged, and only while you are waiting for the doctors to become available from the higher priority cases. I've never been there with a highest-priority case, so I guess I don't truly know what happens in those cases, but the only reason I've ever seen for having to wait for a doctor is because the doctors are working on the higher priority cases. The broken arms, inflamed but not bursting appendices, strong but not deadly fevers, grandfather mysteriously collapsed but is now conscious, etc. that I've brought in have never been anything that couldn't wait a few minutes for the doctors to become available. When the doctors are available soon I've even had payment questions delayed until there was time to fill out the paperwork, and if they do that I'd find it hard to believe they wouldn't do the same for the religion question.

I am religious, and simply give my "denominational affiliation" when they ask. The true answer to that question for me is actually much more nuanced, but it's not an essay question.

Have you ever actually seen "atheist" not suffice for an answer? Seriously? I recognize that the true answer for you may be much more nuanced, but all they really want to know is what kind of clergy, if any, you might want to come visit you should you be stuck there for a long time, and I'm pretty sure "atheist" should minimize that, which is probably what you want, right?

So I'm really curious:
* Have you ever had medical treatment delayed while you answer the religion and paperwork questions, on account of them waiting for you to answer and not on account of the doctors working on higher priority cases?
* Do they not accept "atheist" for an answer?

October 27th, 2010, 2:51 pm #5

While you or you loved one is on the verge of dying, the hospital personnel responds:

Your response is not satisfactory, what is your religion?
they're just trying to line up the appropriate representative to send you on your way.

Part of their job they feel.

October 27th, 2010, 4:08 pm #6

I hadn't even thought of that. To a Catholic getting the right clergy at the right time is considered critical.

I long for a society where the hospitals treat "Are you signed up with a cryonics provider? Which one?" as every bit as much of a critical question.

October 27th, 2010, 5:23 pm #7

What's the percentage of the population signed up for cryonics?

What's the percentage of the population following an organized religion?

Why not just ask if they'll be joining the alien spacecraft hiding in the wake of Hale Bopp?

October 27th, 2010, 5:40 pm #8

TWRelated I understand completely why that question is not routinely asked now, and I support the right of the medical providers not to ask the question if they don't want to. I'm just saying it would be a marvelous way to see the world change. Perhaps if cryonics and religion were both seen as two different branches of a category of "end of life beliefs." But obviously it will take some changes in society before that happens.

October 28th, 2010, 1:25 am #9

they're just trying to line up the appropriate representative to send you on your way.

Part of their job they feel.
As in, if you don't answer the question correctly, you'll be asked to leave.

October 28th, 2010, 3:27 am #10

BS.

You don't think they're trying to smooth the transition? If you said "NONE", that would that cause a problem?

Death and religion are intertwined...