funeral home help

funeral home help

November 17th, 2009, 2:00 pm #1

I'm trying to set up transportation between florida and michigan.
What do I ask the funeral home to do for me? A funeral home that's not into cryonics?
There willing to pack and ship in ice.
Should I ask them to drain blood?
Would that help?
What can I get on my own to assist them?
Without pushing it to far?
TY

November 18th, 2009, 10:23 am #2

Not easy to find a general answer. But the Funeral Directors' Guidelineshttp://www.cryonics.org/funeral_guidelines.html by CI could be of use for negotiations with the mortician's. However, one could discuss this topic at the Discussion Forumhttp://www.opendentalsoft.com/cryonicsf ... um.php?f=2 by Oregon Cryo too. Next to this, it would be interesting to know if you can request information from the Cryonics Societyhttp://cryonicssociety.org about the things mortician's should be asked for. CS recommends Cryonics Meetup Groupshttp://cryonics.meetup.com where you may find people who can help you directly.

November 18th, 2009, 1:48 pm #3

ty for the links, I have posted other places, but I'm getting a big fat zero all around on this one. Do funeral homes even keep heparin? The ci link is good for the shipping aspect, I'm thinking of what else they can do while I'm waiting for the plane. Cut my hair short? How should I be dressed if at all? What I'm trying to do is come up with a generic check list to give them, ask about. Don't you think everyone should have one? I'm trying to fill in the blanks concerning my ignorance of the subject, which is vast. (sorry)

November 18th, 2009, 3:20 pm #4

25 Ways to Make Life Easier for your Funeral Director and Embalmer

* lose weight
* live on the first floor
* always wear clean undergarments
* have your full name tattooed on your big toe
* organize your list of contacts
* don't keep passwords a secret
* die in a hospital
* keep your nails and hair clean at all times
* brush your teeth
* keep your mouth shut
* turn on your air conditioner and light some incense
* shave frequently
* use deodorant
* keep your arms down and folded in front of you
* surround yourself with fresh flowers
* lose more weight
* wear loose fit clothing
* avoid autopsy
* convert your finances into cash and keep it all in one place
* keep your eyes closed
* don't donate your body parts
* refuse all medical equipment to be inserted
* mix bug repellent with your perfume or cologne
* pick out an urn or casket
and finally......
* make your funeral arrangements!

November 18th, 2009, 9:14 pm #5

ty for the links, I have posted other places, but I'm getting a big fat zero all around on this one. Do funeral homes even keep heparin? The ci link is good for the shipping aspect, I'm thinking of what else they can do while I'm waiting for the plane. Cut my hair short? How should I be dressed if at all? What I'm trying to do is come up with a generic check list to give them, ask about. Don't you think everyone should have one? I'm trying to fill in the blanks concerning my ignorance of the subject, which is vast. (sorry)
So far you have posted at Oregon Cryo, but not about this topic. Have you already asked the Cryonics Society? You better send them a message and ask them for an update of something like "CRYONICS, THE HOME TOWN WAY"http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=0026 including a list for the mortician. The name Cryonics Society sounds important, so it seems they must be available for it.

November 19th, 2009, 5:30 am #6

I'm trying to set up transportation between florida and michigan.
What do I ask the funeral home to do for me? A funeral home that's not into cryonics?
There willing to pack and ship in ice.
Should I ask them to drain blood?
Would that help?
What can I get on my own to assist them?
Without pushing it to far?
TY
... and it sounds like you are, else why would you concern yourself with shipping to Michigan ...

... then would it not make sense to simply ask CI how you should talk to a funeral home in your area? As long as they have been in business, I'd be shocked to learn they cannot tell you exactly how to proceed.

Having said that, I think I recall something from one of their magazines talking about their local funeral home, Faulmann & Walsh
www.faulmannwalsh.com/

... acting in a coordinating capacity for CI for other funeral homes elsewhere. They might give you some insights also.

Interesting subject; please let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

FD

P.S. I would not consider Oregon Cryo or Cryonics Society to be of any use to your issue. Oregon Cryo, if it ever gets its feet up off the ground, has to do with people in Oregon. Cryonics Society is a rather questionable promotional organization for cryonics, and does nothing practical that I know of.

November 19th, 2009, 2:56 pm #7

Yes, simply ask CI under the hindsight: legal terms have changed for CI. So the are not obliged to perform the initial tasks of stabilization which include the draining of blood and transportation. So it works to accept that it was their alternative to keep referring to Suspended Animation instead of getting too much involved in negotiations between funeral homes and their clients.

Besides, the Oregon Cryo forum hasn't only to do with people in Oregon. I received good advice from their founder Jordan Sparks in response to my thread "Alternatives, Funding, and Membership"http://www.opendentalsoft.com/cryonicsf ... hp?f=2&t=4 while I'm a German. Now, if it's not an insufficient observation that Cryonics Society turned into a rather questionable organization, anyone is invited to post proposals at the grouphttp://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=165445234024 suggesting a change of their name to something new like Cryonics Promotions. If such proposals couldn't be defeated and they are not the true CRYONICS SOCIETY, then their new name would prevent a misleading understanding.

November 21st, 2009, 5:45 pm #8

So far you have posted at Oregon Cryo, but not about this topic. Have you already asked the Cryonics Society? You better send them a message and ask them for an update of something like "CRYONICS, THE HOME TOWN WAY"http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=0026 including a list for the mortician. The name Cryonics Society sounds important, so it seems they must be available for it.
I remember reading this before, but I didn't see the sterile water for washout part.
Yea! Useful information!
from 1998!
I'll post something when I cobble all the info together.
The flu is slowing me down zzzzz.

November 23rd, 2009, 4:45 pm #9

From my direct experience with the two major cryonics providers, I would say their behavior in regard to helpfully answering questions is "nonchalance". Consistently I have had suggestions from them that if I would like the best chances of a superior cryonics treatment, then relocate so that I reside very, very near to their facilities. This is problematic as neither is located in what I'd classify as a mild climate year around. I have lived within a few miles of both facilities and still felt alone and without support. True, the science of cryonics and the actual technical details of treatment might be still evolving, but support for members, whereby they are offered the very best chances of receiving the best treatment currently possible, is seriously lacking to non existent. I feel residing where the climate is hospitable and pleasant is a major contribution to enjoyment of this lifetime we currently are living; so the relocation option is not always comfortable. I did not experience anything like an easy "meet the mortician" suggestion being offered at any time! Finding a local hospice has also been a less than a successful experience...where they simply don't respond to questions. All of these things I have already addressed as "member support" issues. My experience is that cryonics is something you might get funded and sign up for, but after that you are on your own and without much help from the providers in communicating with you or answering questions, etc. So, no, I am not satisfied at all after my experiences, but I also have no alternative but to proceed with utilizing the organizations we have currently available to us, as there are no other options.

November 24th, 2009, 2:56 am #10

Jon: "Consistently I have had suggestions from them that if I would like the best chances of a superior cryonics treatment, then relocate so that I reside very, very near to their facilities. This is problematic as neither is located in what I'd classify as a mild climate year around. I have lived within a few miles of both facilities and still felt alone and without support."

Short answer: They are where it meets their objectives. Damn the lowly customer.

Long answer: I think that they did not chose their location based on the need of their customers, but had entirely different objectives in mind. In the case of CI, I think it was because where the founder was. In case of Alcor, they did run out of California, one step ahead of murder criminal indictment. As for SA, that is where their bread-man wanted them to be for his own purposes, not for the benefits of customers. And someone wonders why cryo providers cannot attract large volume of customers?