Does Alcor Currently Have Their Own Standby Capability?

Does Alcor Currently Have Their Own Standby Capability?

August 21st, 2009, 3:50 pm #1

Or are they totally reliant on SA?

If they are totally reliant on SA, how long has that been the case?

August 22nd, 2009, 2:51 am #2

No answer, no capability, hm?

As always with Alcor, I wonder why they do not care to improve their public image by coming here to answer such questions. As Mr. Platt has often retorted, we are not worthy of such responses, since we ask questions.

Despite my subject line, it is my current understanding that Alcor has 2 employees on their standby team: Regina Pancake and Aaron Drake (I think that is the name). I have also heard that especially for S. Calif., 4 members of another Kent facility might also deign to help with a standby. Probably the more important you are, the more likely they are to deign. Then there are the handful or so of local groups, mostly consisting of RUPs, any training being a weekend every few years, and they are sent "kits" to use.

Well, 2 employees don't make a standby team. The current President/CEO of Alcor cannot get her nails bloody on such matters, and most of the rest of the folks at Alcor are not cryonicists. Kinda reminds ya of SA, hm?

And SA, of course, is the East Coast Alcor.

As always, I invite Alcor to reply with any corrections to material above that may be out of date.

BTW, where is all the big buck "Big Three Philanthropist" money being used these days?

Cheers,

FD

August 22nd, 2009, 11:39 am #3

And don't forget--Larry King is watching you!

August 22nd, 2009, 12:25 pm #4

No answer, no capability, hm?

As always with Alcor, I wonder why they do not care to improve their public image by coming here to answer such questions. As Mr. Platt has often retorted, we are not worthy of such responses, since we ask questions.

Despite my subject line, it is my current understanding that Alcor has 2 employees on their standby team: Regina Pancake and Aaron Drake (I think that is the name). I have also heard that especially for S. Calif., 4 members of another Kent facility might also deign to help with a standby. Probably the more important you are, the more likely they are to deign. Then there are the handful or so of local groups, mostly consisting of RUPs, any training being a weekend every few years, and they are sent "kits" to use.

Well, 2 employees don't make a standby team. The current President/CEO of Alcor cannot get her nails bloody on such matters, and most of the rest of the folks at Alcor are not cryonicists. Kinda reminds ya of SA, hm?

And SA, of course, is the East Coast Alcor.

As always, I invite Alcor to reply with any corrections to material above that may be out of date.

BTW, where is all the big buck "Big Three Philanthropist" money being used these days?

Cheers,

FD
Neither Regina Pancake, or Aaron Drake, are qualified to perform vascular cannulations, or perfusion, the two most valuable skills needed for the washout procedure AND the vitrification process. Which brings up the question:

Who does the cannulations and perfusion procedures at Alcor, for the vitrification procedures???

In my opinion, Alcor and SA are two very poorly-managed organizations. They have the funding to provide skilled personnel for the procedures they are said to be offering, yet they do not. Their services are a joke, a scam and a hoax, in my opinion.

August 22nd, 2009, 6:11 pm #5

I've posted to Cryonet that Alcor needs to desist from the attempt to disinter Orville Richenbacher....

...er... I mean Orville Richardson on account of wasting members' money on pointless attempts to save sludge. It's reminiscent of Chatsworth. Obviously, the Alcor board....

http://www.alcor.org/AboutAlcor/meetdirectors.html

...are out of control and need to be reigned in. It appears Saul Kent has gone one step too far....

...in his attempt to "consolodate" cryonics-- his stated mission in the 1960's-- and we're going to have to exert some pressure on him to stop. I'm calling for an Alcor membership class action suit against the Alcor board....

http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=31893

Mark Plus shares my view as seen on imminst....

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php? ... 30554&st=0

My call might be empty but at least I've posted it and stated it. Orville Richardson himself looks to be in poor shape....

I'm thinking of hiring... this man...

...or

Alcor's new advertising campaign is looking good, though... The new cryonics crew looks impressive....

August 23rd, 2009, 3:03 am #6

And don't forget--Larry King is watching you!

A post like this just before 8 am, um, better see a good doc, like Newport or Lemler.

I did appreciate the humor tho. Black and blue (suspenders and shirt) and a scowl that could murder a million mosquitoes.

Hope you are well,

FD

August 23rd, 2009, 5:18 am #7

I've posted to Cryonet that Alcor needs to desist from the attempt to disinter Orville Richenbacher....

...er... I mean Orville Richardson on account of wasting members' money on pointless attempts to save sludge. It's reminiscent of Chatsworth. Obviously, the Alcor board....

http://www.alcor.org/AboutAlcor/meetdirectors.html

...are out of control and need to be reigned in. It appears Saul Kent has gone one step too far....

...in his attempt to "consolodate" cryonics-- his stated mission in the 1960's-- and we're going to have to exert some pressure on him to stop. I'm calling for an Alcor membership class action suit against the Alcor board....

http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=31893

Mark Plus shares my view as seen on imminst....

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php? ... 30554&st=0

My call might be empty but at least I've posted it and stated it. Orville Richardson himself looks to be in poor shape....

I'm thinking of hiring... this man...

...or

Alcor's new advertising campaign is looking good, though... The new cryonics crew looks impressive....

I know that a post like this won't go over well in a crowd of people with little or no sense of humor, but I got a laugh out of it. You have a good point. Suing to dig up bodies won't do much to alieve the image cryonics has for being a fringe movement, but then neither will the photo Ben Best uses of himself in Long Life. I understand that Ben is a terrific leader for CI, but that photo makes him look like a serial killer.

I admire Alcor for working hard to fulfil one of its member's wishes, but this isn't going to play well with the general public.

August 23rd, 2009, 5:47 am #8

That, of course, was uncharacteristic of "Phil" who used to demonstrate his ability on CF of filling up whole screens of his posts with various nutty stuff, like on how we should all footnote things.

Or maybe he had nothing better to do and it was his way to express a sense of humor. When he goes on rants tho, it is not less than serious sounding.

Thankfully, the forum owner and whoever moderates this place, is keeping such swill in check.

I haven't seen this pic of Ben Best that you refer to. Could you post it here?

Agreed with your comment on the probable public relations issues with exhuming a corpse.

FD

August 23rd, 2009, 6:55 am #9

they don't look too good.

You, OTOH, I am sure you are an Apollonian Ideal.

August 23rd, 2009, 10:48 am #10

I know that a post like this won't go over well in a crowd of people with little or no sense of humor, but I got a laugh out of it. You have a good point. Suing to dig up bodies won't do much to alieve the image cryonics has for being a fringe movement, but then neither will the photo Ben Best uses of himself in Long Life. I understand that Ben is a terrific leader for CI, but that photo makes him look like a serial killer.

I admire Alcor for working hard to fulfil one of its member's wishes, but this isn't going to play well with the general public.
Ken wrote:

"...the photo Ben Best uses of himself in Long Life... that photo makes him look like a serial killer."

Ken is referring to the photo that LONG LIFE Editor John Bull uses on the contents page of LONG LIFE magazine.

http://www.cryonics.org/immortalist/july09/contents.pdf

That photo was on the photos page of my website:

http://www.benbest.com/personal/aphotos.html

but I removed it a few years ago because a lady friend of mine made a similar comment about it (saying she would not want to run into such a person in a dark alley). John grabbed it before it was removed and has been using it on a regular basis. I have not commented to John about it because I thought that my lady-friend may have been wrong and it is hard for me to tell. I am not at all photogenic, looking into a camera makes me feel like a pinned butterfly. Photos of me are crappy and few.

Ken's second opinion (added to that of my lady friend) sounds pretty persuasive. I will tell John Bull about it.