Deja vu

Deja vu

October 5th, 2009, 12:33 pm #1

Of course, I can't vouch for much of what is in Johnson's book, as I barely even knew cryonics existed, when he was at Alcor, but I will say this: The beginning of the book, (probably the first 100 pages, or so), are virtually IDENTICAL to my experiences at SA. Like me, Johnson got in touch with Platt, through a Monster.com ad. Like me, Platt wanted to speak with Johnson, immediately. Like me, Johnson initially found Platt to seem intelligent and informed, but later came to think he was just continually regurgitating the same well-rehearsed material. (As Johnson writes, it was like someone who learns to play one song on a piano, very well.) Like SA, there was a lot of infighting, with all the employees, (especially Platt), taking potshots at each other, in front of Johnson. Does anyone here remember Platt blaming me for "polarizing" SA? That's funny, because Johnson describes very distinct lines dividing the personnel of Alcor, from the day he arrived on the scene. Ahhhhh, memories...

What was mind-bending was what Johnson wrote about Platt taking him to visit Saul, with Johnson claiming he believes it was all a setup, that Platt took him there to bait him into bad-mouthing Jerry Lemler. Platt wasn't even that obscure with me, he clearly stated that he wanted to "get Mathew fired," and to be honest, I was initially in agreement with him, because Mathew was driving me crazy trying to tell me how to do perfusion "the way they did it at Alcor," or "the way Mike Darwin says it should be done." When I gave Mathew the benefit of the doubt, during my conversation with Saul, Platt and his girlfriend chastised me for "not being hard enough on Mathew." In the long run, Platt interfered with the changes I wanted to make to SA's perfusion equipment a hell of a lot more than Mathew ever did.

When I read the part about Platt telling Johnson he wanted Johnson to take his place, at Alcor, because he was "burnt out," but that he would still be involved from his home, I threw down the book, covered my face with my hands, and kept saying, "Ohmigawd...OHmigawd...OHMIGAWD..." It was the very same conversation Platt and I had, SA. He wanted to go off to Arizona, but still be involved, and essentially, he wanted me to be his counterpart (puppet) at SA. Just like Johnson, he told me he wanted me to learn how to do everything HE (Platt) did, at SA, so he could be gone most of the time. He used to walk me around the facility, with a tape recorder, recording information about chores he wanted me to do, mostly some rather mundane tasks, (which he could have easily assigned to the two people he continually complained about, for doing nothing all day, instead of to the only in-house medical professional).

I could go on about this, all day, but make no mistake, Larry Johnson's first days at Alcor were the same as mine, at Suspended Animation. Apparently, his departure also had similarities, since we were both accused, (by the same person, I believe), of stealing non-disclosure forms that never existed. It's going to be difficult for people to convince me Johnson is lying about anything, because I could have written something very similar to the first 100 pages, or so. I even heard the same rumors, about Federowicz (Darwin) euthanizing patients, and was told those rumors were the reason Kent would no longer employee him, (though, apparently, he did see fit to have Mike Darwin come to Florida, to do a review of the SA facility, at some point before I was hired).

As I already stated...I could go on about this all day...far too much of that book is all-too-familiar, to me.
Last edited by melmax on October 5th, 2009, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 5th, 2009, 1:15 pm #2

Well, right there, if there's any truth to that-- is the "end of cryonics" at least "as we've known it".

October 5th, 2009, 4:08 pm #3

Examined by the police and no charges were filed? ( in all fairness )

October 5th, 2009, 4:19 pm #4

There is supposed to be "one", not "those". And the circumstances were very unique. To refer to "those" is a fallacy I think. The larger perspective coming out in this "health care reform" debate involves a variation on that theme of euthenasia so it's possible that cryonics DOES have a history of "those" cases that is not explicitly written about. Certainly the way the case reports are written up by people like Jones leaves room for "those" types of cases. This would warrent a kind of investigative journalism that is aware of laws in various states over time and current public "fads"... not an easy task.

October 6th, 2009, 5:32 am #5

Of course, I can't vouch for much of what is in Johnson's book, as I barely even knew cryonics existed, when he was at Alcor, but I will say this: The beginning of the book, (probably the first 100 pages, or so), are virtually IDENTICAL to my experiences at SA. Like me, Johnson got in touch with Platt, through a Monster.com ad. Like me, Platt wanted to speak with Johnson, immediately. Like me, Johnson initially found Platt to seem intelligent and informed, but later came to think he was just continually regurgitating the same well-rehearsed material. (As Johnson writes, it was like someone who learns to play one song on a piano, very well.) Like SA, there was a lot of infighting, with all the employees, (especially Platt), taking potshots at each other, in front of Johnson. Does anyone here remember Platt blaming me for "polarizing" SA? That's funny, because Johnson describes very distinct lines dividing the personnel of Alcor, from the day he arrived on the scene. Ahhhhh, memories...

What was mind-bending was what Johnson wrote about Platt taking him to visit Saul, with Johnson claiming he believes it was all a setup, that Platt took him there to bait him into bad-mouthing Jerry Lemler. Platt wasn't even that obscure with me, he clearly stated that he wanted to "get Mathew fired," and to be honest, I was initially in agreement with him, because Mathew was driving me crazy trying to tell me how to do perfusion "the way they did it at Alcor," or "the way Mike Darwin says it should be done." When I gave Mathew the benefit of the doubt, during my conversation with Saul, Platt and his girlfriend chastised me for "not being hard enough on Mathew." In the long run, Platt interfered with the changes I wanted to make to SA's perfusion equipment a hell of a lot more than Mathew ever did.

When I read the part about Platt telling Johnson he wanted Johnson to take his place, at Alcor, because he was "burnt out," but that he would still be involved from his home, I threw down the book, covered my face with my hands, and kept saying, "Ohmigawd...OHmigawd...OHMIGAWD..." It was the very same conversation Platt and I had, SA. He wanted to go off to Arizona, but still be involved, and essentially, he wanted me to be his counterpart (puppet) at SA. Just like Johnson, he told me he wanted me to learn how to do everything HE (Platt) did, at SA, so he could be gone most of the time. He used to walk me around the facility, with a tape recorder, recording information about chores he wanted me to do, mostly some rather mundane tasks, (which he could have easily assigned to the two people he continually complained about, for doing nothing all day, instead of to the only in-house medical professional).

I could go on about this, all day, but make no mistake, Larry Johnson's first days at Alcor were the same as mine, at Suspended Animation. Apparently, his departure also had similarities, since we were both accused, (by the same person, I believe), of stealing non-disclosure forms that never existed. It's going to be difficult for people to convince me Johnson is lying about anything, because I could have written something very similar to the first 100 pages, or so. I even heard the same rumors, about Federowicz (Darwin) euthanizing patients, and was told those rumors were the reason Kent would no longer employee him, (though, apparently, he did see fit to have Mike Darwin come to Florida, to do a review of the SA facility, at some point before I was hired).

As I already stated...I could go on about this all day...far too much of that book is all-too-familiar, to me.
Melody said (wrapped in brackets):

[Of course, I can't vouch for much of what is in Johnson's book...]

Really now. If this isn't "vouching," what is? .....

"I read the book, from front to back, last night, and I don't believe Mr. Johnson is lying about anything. "

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFB28VSB59 ... 28VSB59A9G

[The beginning of the book, (probably the first 100 pages, or so), are virtually IDENTICAL to my experiences at SA. Like me, Johnson got in touch with Platt, through a Monster.com ad. Like me, Platt wanted to speak with Johnson, immediately. Like me, Johnson initially found Platt to seem intelligent and informed, but later came to think he was just continually regurgitating the same well-rehearsed material. (As Johnson writes, it was like someone who learns to play one song on a piano, very well.) Like SA, there was a lot of infighting, with all the employees, (especially Platt), taking potshots at each other, in front of Johnson. Does anyone here remember Platt blaming me for "polarizing" SA? That's funny, because Johnson describes very distinct lines dividing the personnel of Alcor, from the day he arrived on the scene.]

Etc. You almost have to wonder if it was planned that way. I have to admit this sent off my own personal "conspiracy theory" alarm.

FD

October 6th, 2009, 10:26 am #6

Your alarm is too sensitive. Not a chance that those two exposes are related. I followed both in detail and there are no connections whatsoever. They're separated in time, distance, motive, circumstance. The common elements are on the cryonics side, not the exposee side. IF there were a common link on the exposee side, I'd be with you on pointing it out but the two cases have entirely different curvatures. What is startlingly apparent is indeed what Maxim points out- the common experience of expert outsiders to cryonics.

October 6th, 2009, 10:40 am #7

Melody said (wrapped in brackets):

[Of course, I can't vouch for much of what is in Johnson's book...]

Really now. If this isn't "vouching," what is? .....

"I read the book, from front to back, last night, and I don't believe Mr. Johnson is lying about anything. "

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFB28VSB59 ... 28VSB59A9G

[The beginning of the book, (probably the first 100 pages, or so), are virtually IDENTICAL to my experiences at SA. Like me, Johnson got in touch with Platt, through a Monster.com ad. Like me, Platt wanted to speak with Johnson, immediately. Like me, Johnson initially found Platt to seem intelligent and informed, but later came to think he was just continually regurgitating the same well-rehearsed material. (As Johnson writes, it was like someone who learns to play one song on a piano, very well.) Like SA, there was a lot of infighting, with all the employees, (especially Platt), taking potshots at each other, in front of Johnson. Does anyone here remember Platt blaming me for "polarizing" SA? That's funny, because Johnson describes very distinct lines dividing the personnel of Alcor, from the day he arrived on the scene.]

Etc. You almost have to wonder if it was planned that way. I have to admit this sent off my own personal "conspiracy theory" alarm.

FD
...there's too much in there that is virtually identical to what I experienced, and other information that matches up with stories I heard from others, while I thought Johnson was dead.

Again, I can't vouch for what he writes about the procedures he witnessed, but he allegedly has a lot of people discussing those things on tape, (again, information I heard, from OTHERS, when I thought he was dead), and to read the notes that were taken during the TW case is enough to make my blood boil. Again, it looks too much like a bunch of children "playing doctor."

It's time for this foolishness to stop. Maybe something respectable will rise from the ashes.