Beta blockers versus "fear of the future"

Beta blockers versus "fear of the future"

November 11th, 2010, 1:54 am #1

More from the fascinating world of pharmacology:

Preventing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder with Beta Blockers

If we have the pharmacological means now to keep traumatic events from becoming crippling cognitive disabilities, what could future medicine do to help revived cryonauts have a soft re-entry into society?

November 11th, 2010, 7:03 am #2

and kick back on the couch and listen to some zeppelin. That's what I plan on doing once I am revived. For all eternity. F%ck "re-entering society" and all corporate jazz. I am going to the future to laze around and get stoned for eternity.

That is why I am still working to pay my cryonics dues and insurance. Otherwise I would be down in central mexico right now, living in a 80 dollar rented room and buying 100 dollar kilos of weed and smoking up all day and figuring out how to get some off Maria the bodega lady around the corner.

No, I am working in order to get them juicy future stoner days. Gonna watch movies and read books all day. Free thorium energy and free homes built by nanotech (or whatever). Take advantage of what the future has to offer. Don't even need no future meds. Just some kind bud...

November 11th, 2010, 2:51 pm #3

After the experiments with "progressive" social policy over the past few generations, Future World might realize that bourgeois values need to predominate over bohemian values after all, for economic reasons. Strict Fathers tend to build up capital, while Nurturant Parents tend to deplete it.

In my case, I'd like the opportunity to help re-arrange the solar system. Both Uranus and Neptune apparently have rocky cores of approximately Earth's mass. I estimate it would take about 1034 J to remove Uranus's atmosphere to get at its core, and about 1033 J to move that core to approximately Earth's orbit.
Last edited by advancedatheist on November 11th, 2010, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 11th, 2010, 3:30 pm #4

I will smoke weed all day, and the future wimmen will be lined up outside my door, eager for the gift of my undiluted, unrefined, raw and primitive male essence.

November 11th, 2010, 3:36 pm #5

the rest of you revived cryos will still be arguing over uploading, qualia, and the amount of joules necessary to allow an uploaded angel to dance on an extropian pinhead, and meanwhile, my revived future self will be tapping more ass than ever and smoking more doobs than ever.

That is all. Same as it ever was.....

November 11th, 2010, 5:18 pm #6

After the experiments with "progressive" social policy over the past few generations, Future World might realize that bourgeois values need to predominate over bohemian values after all, for economic reasons. Strict Fathers tend to build up capital, while Nurturant Parents tend to deplete it.

In my case, I'd like the opportunity to help re-arrange the solar system. Both Uranus and Neptune apparently have rocky cores of approximately Earth's mass. I estimate it would take about 1034 J to remove Uranus's atmosphere to get at its core, and about 1033 J to move that core to approximately Earth's orbit.
I'm fine with him doing it as long as he pays for it. But I suspect you are right that he wouldn't be able to afford it.

Perhaps you are both right and society will be fantastically wealthy and he will be able to spend an entire century at time high, coming up only to work for a year or so and earn money to fund the next century's binge.

Like you, I've got other things I'd rather be doing.

Incidentally, have you done your calculations for Neptune, also? And do you have any approximations as to exactly how much energy that is in layman's terms? (I know what a Joule is; I don't know how many Joules I get out of a double-A battery. I do know the difference between Joules, Volts, and Watts, so I'm not totally a layman. Just looking for meaningful figures.)

November 11th, 2010, 7:02 pm #7

Stripping the atmosphere of a gas giant just to get at the rocky core sounds incredibly wasteful. The most economical source of new real estate is rotating habitats.

Then again, if you want prefer external surfaces for your real estate, you can always make a Supramundane planet by creating a shell around the gas giant.

November 12th, 2010, 3:15 pm #8

Humans didn't evolve to live on the interior of rotating structures, so we might not do well in those.

Nobody anticipated that prolonged weightlessness would damage human health, either. Who could have predicted that it causes a dangerous decline in the immune system?

The long term effects of intermediate gravity, like on the moon or Mars, remain unknown.

November 12th, 2010, 3:19 pm #9

I will smoke weed all day, and the future wimmen will be lined up outside my door, eager for the gift of my undiluted, unrefined, raw and primitive male essence.

November 12th, 2010, 6:11 pm #10

Humans didn't evolve to live on the interior of rotating structures, so we might not do well in those.

Nobody anticipated that prolonged weightlessness would damage human health, either. Who could have predicted that it causes a dangerous decline in the immune system?

The long term effects of intermediate gravity, like on the moon or Mars, remain unknown.
Actually it looks to me like humans evolved for a constant acceleration of one gee. That implies that they evolved to live on the inside of rotating structures, among other things.

On the other hand, in a world where aging and cryonics related damage has been cured, it would be rather surprising if the side-effects of zero-gee remain much of a challenge.