Another shot in the dark?

Another shot in the dark?

July 7th, 2009, 12:09 am #1

I am currently writing the pilot script for a TV sci-fi show about a man who must adjust to life after nearly a century in cryostasis.

He is aided by a woman who was the first to successfully undergop stasis (he was the second).

The main characters are based at and Area 51-type facility on the Isle of Man, and must confront Luddite factions who are hellbent on destroying the facility and all the technology that comes from it.

Frankly, does anyone think I am wasting my time? Or does this series concept have any merit?

July 8th, 2009, 4:30 am #2

So are you a serious writer whose work is actually likely to be accepted and used? If so, congratulations. I don't know much about that industry or the process involved, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much. I really have no idea if you're wasting your time. A few thoughts that come to mind are that the technology is going to be very advanced, including no more aging or disease. So I'm assuming these luddites would be forgoing such advances and suffering from all sorts of debilitating illness like we do today. Also, it seems like the main characters would have much better technology than their enemies. Things like omniscience, telepathy with each other, extremely fast healing, etc would all be very reasonable. Should make it easy for them to keep coming back week after week even if they are severely outnumbered. But what about the rest of society? It's going to take a lot of companies working hard to build that technology. So I'm wondering where they are? Just my random thoughts.

July 9th, 2009, 6:36 am #3

I am currently writing the pilot script for a TV sci-fi show about a man who must adjust to life after nearly a century in cryostasis.

He is aided by a woman who was the first to successfully undergop stasis (he was the second).

The main characters are based at and Area 51-type facility on the Isle of Man, and must confront Luddite factions who are hellbent on destroying the facility and all the technology that comes from it.

Frankly, does anyone think I am wasting my time? Or does this series concept have any merit?
A "pilot script" suggests a series. I don't see quite how this could be a series. It sounds more like a one-shot made-for-TV movie.

There are numerous guides to the process of writing for TV. It would be foolish to proceed if you have not read at least some of them.

As for the cryo-plausibility issue, it's not a relevant issue for TV.

July 11th, 2009, 3:49 pm #4

"There are numerous guides to the process of writing for TV. It would be foolish to proceed if you have not read at least some of them."

Would that be as foolish as hiring laymen to perform the tasks of medical professionals, (while paying them significantly more than their qualified counterparts), and expecting them to learn skills that require a lot of practice, by playing with dead pigs a couple of times a year?

Or as foolish as hiring a writer to design and build medical equipment, instead of using existing FDA-approved devices, or contracting with well-established manufacturers of medical equipment?

July 11th, 2009, 7:11 pm #5

Melody: “...hiring laymen to perform the tasks of medical professionals, (while paying them significantly more than their qualified counterparts), and expecting them to learn skills that require a lot of practice, by playing with dead pigs a couple of times a year?”

In 2003 the New York Times reported the following regarding the SA attempts to be licensed by Florida State authorities:

"In Boca Raton, city officials do not oppose the existence of Suspended Animation or its proposed testing on laboratory animals. But the mayor, Steven L. Abrams, said the company must comply with the state's requirement that it receive a license as an embalming facility, cemetery or funeral home."
and New York Times continued:
"Boca Raton's decision to make final approvals for Suspended Animation contingent upon its obtaining a state license has delayed the company's plans and eaten at its finances."

Subsequently, in 2004, the City of Boca Raton voted against granting temporary approval to SA.

Recently it became known that SA is conducting research testing using animals. That would indicate that SA indeed obtained such license, but I could not find anything in support. Perhaps someone from SA could shed some light on this subject.

George

July 12th, 2009, 12:26 am #6

We can only speculate on what Suspended Animation is doing, for the most part. I don't believe they are actually carrying out animal "research." I believe they are using animals to attempt to train people to perform medical procedures, (mostly tasks that paramedics and perfusionists learn, by practicing on live human patients, under close supervision). I believe they have indicated that they are doing training sessions, with dead pigs, in their SA vehicle. I am guessing the live animal "experiments" have been carried out at Critical Care Research (CCR), in California.

Boca Raton didn't want SA, which is why they are in Boynton Beach. The Boynton facility has never been approved, for animal experiments, as far as I know. I don't know who regulates medical training with pig cadavers, (for people who would not be allowed to perform invasive procedures on live patients), in vehicles, in Palm Beach County, but someone should. If nothing else, it makes cryonicists look stupid, in my opinion.

If SA would publish more information on their website, we wouldn't have to speculate.

July 12th, 2009, 1:41 am #7

“I don't know who regulates medical training with pig cadavers, (for people who would not be allowed to perform invasive procedures on live patients), in vehicles, in Palm Beach County, but someone should. If nothing else, it makes cryonicists look stupid, in my opinion.”

Well, LEF is throwing millions of Dollars at SA and they have to resort to training lay people on dead pigs to perform medical procedures, instead of employing experienced medical personnel? With such massive cash flow, obviously it is not caused by a lack of money. Saul Kent must know that this is going on with the support of his money and he allows it. It is a mystery why? There got to be a logical reason why Kent let it happen. Would not it be for the good fun of a barbeque party, feasting on a roasted pig after the pig experimentation is over? :-)

“If SA would publish more information on their website, we wouldn't have to speculate.”

It might be a little difficult if the development of their web site is really being subcontracted to moonlighting students in Peru.

July 12th, 2009, 5:52 am #8

It is indeed a total mystery to me why Kent and Faloon pour millions into SA and Alcor, both of which offer amateur-level cryonics services for way more than the price they could get by contracting with medical professionals.

The biggest mystery to me about it is, that ostensibly these two financially well-endowed persons actually depend on these organizations, themselves, for their own cryopreservations!! The two "emergency" vehicles, one for Kent in California, and another for him (and Faloon) in Florida, are just for that. For them. They might go a few hundred miles further than an airplane can get out of airport security, for a few people, but no reports on such like that yet. The point here is that it is the same amateur cryonics service providers who would be in those vehicles. EMT is better than nothing. But why do Kent and Faloon settle for it?

Well, we know one answer, that a few dozen loyal devoted clique members and employees of places like CCR and 21CM would most likely climb all over each other to get a crack at cryopreserving Kent. We are not sure about Faloon, or such other person's devotion merely to vitamins.

There was once a multi-million dollar bonus rumor WRT cryopreserving Kent. Probably just a rumor, ha.

But let's get practical. Regardless of who provides what or why, some people might need Alcor's or SA's standby services. It is what they have now, and the only game in town. It is probably a better chance at working than getting reanimated is. Let's stop the silly "regulation" talk and leave folks to decide for themselves if they want to buy a service. I'm sure folks bright enough to choose cryonics do not need "big brother" deciding for them what to buy.

FD

July 12th, 2009, 2:33 pm #9

If Kent and/or Faloon were mostly interested in self-preservation, they could each afford to have a top-notch team follow them around, night and day, for a small portion of the money they are spending. Instead, they fund, what appears, to me, to be not much more than a very expensive garage project. This makes me give FD's theories about LEF using SA to maintain their non-profit status more credence.

I don't know if that Kent bonus really exists. What we can be reasonably sure of, is that approximately a dozen people (total) at CCR and SA are sharing two very generous payrolls, and like most people, they are probably willing to do what they can, to keep their generous salaries. It's not like anyone is going to pipe up and say, "You know, I really like making $70K a year and having all these great benefits, but the company could provide better patient care with two experienced, advanced-level EMT's/paramedics, or a perfusionist, instead of me."

The "real medical professionals won't play with us" myth is just that. I'm sure many paramedics would LOVE to have one of the SA salaries. I'm sure there are also plenty of perfusionists, who have spent years in surgery, who would be glad to give up long days and regular middle-of-the-night calls, for an easy job in South Florida, where they would rarely hear their phone ring in the middle of the night, or on weekends.

Unperson asked, in another thread, why I do this, after failing to convince Kent to take a different approach. (I would have answered, in the thread where he asked, but I didn't see it, until yesterday, and my reply would be buried, now.) I do this because I want to prevent people from "selling snake oil" to people who might buy into their foolishness. There are a handful of us who stick with Cold Filter, but many others come and go. People like FD and unperson are most likely sick of seeing me repeat myself, but I feel the newcomers need to be aware that all might not really be what it seems, at certain organizations. Someone has suggested to me that, every time I take a break from the forum, certain people start writing about the "accomplishments" of certain organizations, again. Also, I keep hoping one of SA's benefactors will "wake up," and realize they could be funding something far superior to what they have. (I can dream, can't I?)

FD: "But let's get practical. Regardless of who provides what or why, some people might need Alcor's or SA's standby services."

Now, here is where I disagree. While I think a good stabilization/washout may be beneficial, (though, there's no proof of that), I'm not sure what happened to CI-81 was "better than nothing." I think a stroke patient was subjected to extremely high pressures, and I didn't see any signs of intelligence, in addressing the pressure issues. They had high pressures at low flows, a serious problem in properly and safely perfusing the patient. According to the report, all the inexperienced team members got from their coordinator/advisor was "Put the pressure manometer at the level of the patient." There was no indication anyone took the steps an experienced team would have taken, to troubleshoot and resolve the pressure issue.

FD: "It is what they have now, and the only game in town. It is probably a better chance at working than getting reanimated is. Let's stop the silly "regulation" talk and leave folks to decide for themselves if they want to buy a service. I'm sure folks bright enough to choose cryonics do not need "big brother" deciding for them what to buy."

I'm sympathetic to your concerns, FD. However, if certain organizations persist in making themselves look like a bunch of irresponsible kooks, someone IS going to regulate them, some day. Also, regulation may improve the quality of care, rather than eliminate the option of purchasing "standby, stabilization and transport," we have no way of knowing. (My guess is, the public perception of the people involved in cryonics efforts will be a tremendous factor.) At any rate, the organizations could probably avoid regulation by behaving more responsibly, in ways that members of the medical commmunity, and the general population, wouldn't find so objectionable.

July 12th, 2009, 8:00 pm #10

It is indeed a total mystery to me why Kent and Faloon pour millions into SA and Alcor, both of which offer amateur-level cryonics services for way more than the price they could get by contracting with medical professionals.

The biggest mystery to me about it is, that ostensibly these two financially well-endowed persons actually depend on these organizations, themselves, for their own cryopreservations!! The two "emergency" vehicles, one for Kent in California, and another for him (and Faloon) in Florida, are just for that. For them. They might go a few hundred miles further than an airplane can get out of airport security, for a few people, but no reports on such like that yet. The point here is that it is the same amateur cryonics service providers who would be in those vehicles. EMT is better than nothing. But why do Kent and Faloon settle for it?

Well, we know one answer, that a few dozen loyal devoted clique members and employees of places like CCR and 21CM would most likely climb all over each other to get a crack at cryopreserving Kent. We are not sure about Faloon, or such other person's devotion merely to vitamins.

There was once a multi-million dollar bonus rumor WRT cryopreserving Kent. Probably just a rumor, ha.

But let's get practical. Regardless of who provides what or why, some people might need Alcor's or SA's standby services. It is what they have now, and the only game in town. It is probably a better chance at working than getting reanimated is. Let's stop the silly "regulation" talk and leave folks to decide for themselves if they want to buy a service. I'm sure folks bright enough to choose cryonics do not need "big brother" deciding for them what to buy.

FD
FD, I agree with most of what you say, but I have a slightly different viewpoint on the “regulations”. I think the industry is being regulated for quite some time. But the “regulator” is not some MD in a white coat from the FDA, or from a Health Department, but a “sugar daddy” investor, who makes most of the major decisions in this industry and his decisions are final, no appeals. He decides who does what. If he decides there is going to be dead pig training, then by golly, there is going to be dead pig training.