Alcor's new paramedic

Alcor's new paramedic

January 31st, 2009, 4:20 am #1

I'm surprised by the incuriosity regarding the new paramedic.

Personnel Changes
Nationally certified paramedic Aaron Drake has joined the staff of Alcor as Transport Coordinator. Aaron brings with him years of experience as a firefighter, paramedic, cardiac technician, and FEMA disaster response worker. He is an enthusiastic addition to the Alcor team.
Apparently it's this guy. The page doesn't explain why he moved from Lincoln, Nebraska, to Phoenix:

Aaron Drake, NREMT-P, CCT

Of course, we heard he's-too-good-to-be-true gushings over Larry Johnson at the time Alcor hired him.

January 31st, 2009, 5:35 am #2

Do Aaron Drake and Larry Johnson know each other? They appear to have similar backgrounds. I am sure the paramedic profession is like any other profession. When you are an old-timer you tend to know and cross paths with a lot of your peers through conferences and networking. Drakes profile says he is a CCT, doesn't that stand for critical care? Some might want to ask him. In Alcors newsletter from when Johnson was hired, it said something about Johnson and some type of critical care association. It also said that Johnson wrote or coauthored a critical care paramedic textbook.

Is Drake on a spy mission for Johnson?

Why does one move from Nebraska to Phoenix?

Did anyone ask Drake if he knew Johnson, not that he would tell the truth.

Did he sign a nondisclosure? He probably did since Charles Platt is no longer in charge.

Is Drake and Johnson writing a sequel to Johnson's book?

Seems like Alcor always has to learn the hard way.

January 31st, 2009, 2:55 pm #3

Personnel Changes
Nationally certified paramedic Aaron Drake has joined the staff of Alcor as Transport Coordinator. Aaron brings with him years of experience as a firefighter, paramedic, cardiac technician, and FEMA disaster response worker. He is an enthusiastic addition to the Alcor team.
Apparently it's this guy. The page doesn't explain why he moved from Lincoln, Nebraska, to Phoenix:

Of course, we heard he's-too-good-to-be-true gushings over Larry Johnson at the time Alcor hired him.
Drake's online resume indicates that since Jan. 2006 he's worked for a company called Digirad. Apparently Digirad is based in Poway, CA, but I haven't been able to find yet if it has an office in metro Phoenix.

If "Danger Man" Drake moved to Phoenix three years ago, took an unrelated job and bided his time to try to infiltrate Alcor as a mole or agent provocateur, I have to admire his strategic skills and attention span.

February 1st, 2009, 1:50 am #4

Personnel Changes

I wonder if Arizona law would allow Alcor to require Danger Man or any other paramedic we don't know well to post a bond as an incentive to behave himself.

February 1st, 2009, 5:11 am #5

But to require that paramedics post a bond (if that is what you are saying) and no one else could possibly be construed as discrimination or some flavor thereof.

February 1st, 2009, 6:05 am #6

If they can't come up with the money right away, extend them credit and garnish some of their wages. That would put them all on notice to shape up.

February 1st, 2009, 2:45 pm #7

I am hearing you right? Extend them credit and garnish their wages as a condition of employment?

Iskander, you are obviously out of your knowledge base here. You can't do that. They can either post a bond and pay for it or not work at all, its that simple. It has to apply to ALL employees who have similar responsibilities and access to similar information. Alcor would have to contend with the good people at the federal wage and hour division, who would crawl up their asses. Alcor seems to be self-destructive; they would probably try to pull something off like that.

February 1st, 2009, 3:00 pm #8

I like to explore the boundaries of the infeasible first, then work my way back towards the feasible. Alcor has a history of not always being duly diligent about what's legally allowable.

And, of course, I'm aware that the trolls on that cult forum can take my statement and distort it somehow.

February 1st, 2009, 4:59 pm #9

Personnel Changes

As you all know, I was previously accused of stealing a non-disclosure form that never existed, and my resume, from my employee file, at SA. I was really miffed about that, because I've never stolen anything, in my entire life. As a result of my threats to take legal action, based on those lies and others, Charles Platt, former manager and director of SA, felt the need to hire an attorney and post a corrective statement. As far as I know Kelly Kingston kept my employee file in a locked cabinet in her office; I never saw it, or even asked to see it, and I certainly wouldn't remove anything from it. Platt and Harris couldn't defend themselves against the accusations I was leveling at them, so they did the desperate thing and spread about a bunch of malicious gossip and lies about me. If you ask me, it was all rather pathetic. Not only did it cost Platt some legal fees, but it made them, (both having been "managers" and "directors" of LEF-funded organizations, at one time or another) look rather ignorant.

Non-disclosure forms typically prevent people from disclosing proprietary information and trade secrets, NOT from objecting to unethical behavior. Paying people to keep their mouths shut usually occurs in severence packages, but even that is unlikely to protect a company from "whistle-blowing," if they've behaved unethically. I know most of you don't want to believe the claims Larry Johnson is telling, but what if they are true? I hope Mr. Drake is an honorable person. If he is, and the situation at Alcor plays out the way I think it's going to, I believe he'll have a lot to say about the quality of patient care there, too. Either that, or he'll do what I think others have done...walk away in disgust and never look back.

I thought the same thing about Catherine Baldwin, but she's still at SA...sending laymen who are already being paid 3-4 times as much as EMT-Basics to EMT-B school, (durinhg which they are unlikely to ever insert even one IV, and after which they will have no practical experience), and publishing what I consider to be blatant propaganda on SA's slick new website. Since the last published ad for a manager at SA I saw advertised a salary of $90K, I'll guess Ms. Baldwin is making close to that. What does all this say about her? (I'll give her some leeway, in stating I doubt she has any control over the hiring and firing of personnel, or SA's "research" projects.) Is she a tough cookie, who still thinks she will someday actually be able to initiate meaningful changes at SA, or is she just happy enough with her salary to go along with foolishness?

February 1st, 2009, 5:18 pm #10

Do Aaron Drake and Larry Johnson know each other? They appear to have similar backgrounds. I am sure the paramedic profession is like any other profession. When you are an old-timer you tend to know and cross paths with a lot of your peers through conferences and networking. Drakes profile says he is a CCT, doesn't that stand for critical care? Some might want to ask him. In Alcors newsletter from when Johnson was hired, it said something about Johnson and some type of critical care association. It also said that Johnson wrote or coauthored a critical care paramedic textbook.

Is Drake on a spy mission for Johnson?

Did anyone ask Drake if he knew Johnson, not that he would tell the truth.

Did he sign a nondisclosure? He probably did since Charles Platt is no longer in charge.

Is Drake and Johnson writing a sequel to Johnson's book?

Seems like Alcor always has to learn the hard way.
DR: "Did he sign a nondisclosure? He probably did since Charles Platt is no longer in charge."

As I just wrote in another post, non-disclosure forms won't protect against whistle-blowing, especially in the event a medical professional believes there has been unethical behavior.

As for Charles Platt...He may no longer be "in charge" at Alcor, but is he in a position of influence? In my opinion, if you think Kent is in a position of influence, then you should probably think Platt is, too.

With Tanya Jones gone, who will be training Mr. Drake in cryonics procedures? Might it be Platt? When I was at SA, Kent seemed to think Platt was the person most qualified to lead the procedures, (Platt didn't know what the hell he was doing, in my opinion, other than maybe getting the equipment and some rather unqualified personnel to the bedside).

DR: "Seems like Alcor always has to learn the hard way."

What do you want them to learn, DR? To cover up better? I don't believe that about you...I think you want what I want...QUALITY care for cryonics patients. You should hope Mr. Drake spills his guts about everything he sees that he believes to be medically unsound and/or unethical.