Alcor Institutionalizes "Less than perfect suspension" Policy

Alcor Institutionalizes "Less than perfect suspension" Policy

November 14th, 2010, 3:42 am #1

President Jennifer, ever proud of herself, calls it "Securing Your Optimum Cryopreservation" (translate: Money counts, pay more).

http://www.alcor.org/blog/?p=1419#more-1419

Except:
"To reduce the financial burden of cryopreserving grandfathered members, Alcor may alter the cryopreservation process to reduce costs if the members payment to Alcor is below Alcors stated minimum in effect at the time of the cryopreservation. Such alterations may include, but are not limited to, using fewer personnel, less sophisticated procedures, less expensive cryoprotectants, no cryoprotectants, or limiting the extent of cryoprotection of whole body patients."

As to the new take on "grandfathering" I understand Alcor has also secured space next to Grandpa Bredo in Nederland CO, for intermittent dry ice storage for certain patients no longer having "Alcors stated minimum in effect at the time of the cryopreservation". J/K but with the above policy, it would not surprise me if they do.

And of course this is accompanied by a raise in whole body fee to $200K. Those who have bought a million or 2 $ in whole or other life insurance from Mr. Rudi, probably feel secure. How long do these folks expect to live, though, before needing Alcor's services? In a few years Alcor's fee could easily go up to beyond that, and the then 80-90-100 year olds who are no longer insurable for higher amounts would be left out cold in the straight freezer.

Ain't it ever.

Speaking of straight freezes and not to pick entirely on Alcor, I have heard it is a CI policy to require a 3-week "cooling off period" (very dark humour!) on dry ice for persons signed up after their deaths by relatives. This ensures a straight freeze occurs, and is one of the ghastlier items in cryonics today. But then again, why is CI (or Alcor) accepting "patients" who did not themselves sign up while living? I wonder how many of them are done so against specific stated preference for burial or cremation, by well-meaning but rights-ignoring next of kin?

On a more humorous note, I keep getting ads for Creekside specials in email. $69 for 2 in a cabin with jacuzzi, and now a pet can join in for only $10. This runs right up to Thanksgiving, weekdays, and reminds me of how eager certain but unnamed cryonicists might snap up this opportunity to "have some mutton" or "stuff the turkey" for Thanksgiving. Perhaps the "staff" would give a lower rate for just 1 human and the additional $10 pet, hm? But the jacuzzi - do these animals like swimming?!

OK I'M DONE,

Cheers,

FD

November 14th, 2010, 11:16 am #2

a great idea by alcor. Another great idea.

As for your bestiality fantasies, I have no comment. Whatever ewe want to do is up to ewe.....

November 14th, 2010, 4:36 pm #3

President Jennifer, ever proud of herself, calls it "Securing Your Optimum Cryopreservation" (translate: Money counts, pay more).

http://www.alcor.org/blog/?p=1419#more-1419

Except:
"To reduce the financial burden of cryopreserving grandfathered members, Alcor may alter the cryopreservation process to reduce costs if the members payment to Alcor is below Alcors stated minimum in effect at the time of the cryopreservation. Such alterations may include, but are not limited to, using fewer personnel, less sophisticated procedures, less expensive cryoprotectants, no cryoprotectants, or limiting the extent of cryoprotection of whole body patients."

As to the new take on "grandfathering" I understand Alcor has also secured space next to Grandpa Bredo in Nederland CO, for intermittent dry ice storage for certain patients no longer having "Alcors stated minimum in effect at the time of the cryopreservation". J/K but with the above policy, it would not surprise me if they do.

And of course this is accompanied by a raise in whole body fee to $200K. Those who have bought a million or 2 $ in whole or other life insurance from Mr. Rudi, probably feel secure. How long do these folks expect to live, though, before needing Alcor's services? In a few years Alcor's fee could easily go up to beyond that, and the then 80-90-100 year olds who are no longer insurable for higher amounts would be left out cold in the straight freezer.

Ain't it ever.

Speaking of straight freezes and not to pick entirely on Alcor, I have heard it is a CI policy to require a 3-week "cooling off period" (very dark humour!) on dry ice for persons signed up after their deaths by relatives. This ensures a straight freeze occurs, and is one of the ghastlier items in cryonics today. But then again, why is CI (or Alcor) accepting "patients" who did not themselves sign up while living? I wonder how many of them are done so against specific stated preference for burial or cremation, by well-meaning but rights-ignoring next of kin?

On a more humorous note, I keep getting ads for Creekside specials in email. $69 for 2 in a cabin with jacuzzi, and now a pet can join in for only $10. This runs right up to Thanksgiving, weekdays, and reminds me of how eager certain but unnamed cryonicists might snap up this opportunity to "have some mutton" or "stuff the turkey" for Thanksgiving. Perhaps the "staff" would give a lower rate for just 1 human and the additional $10 pet, hm? But the jacuzzi - do these animals like swimming?!

OK I'M DONE,

Cheers,

FD
I recall that the Chamberlains, when they ran Alcor in the late 1990's, offered lifetime memberships for a certain fee, apparently to raise some cash upfront for one of their schemes, and then even offered discounts off of that figure for members who showed up for dubious training sessions.

How many members remain grandfathered under that plan?

November 14th, 2010, 8:08 pm #4

a great idea by alcor. Another great idea.

As for your bestiality fantasies, I have no comment. Whatever ewe want to do is up to ewe.....
... "smart" is. It's merely a financial decision. Here's an example: Member A-nnnnn dies, and is $2K behind in periodic dues. Under an earlier minimum funding criterion, Member A-nnnnn made Alcor the beneficiary of a $50K insurance policy for "neuro" service.

Alcor's board meets in their private closet and discusses thusly: "This is our only crack at Member A-nnnnn. If we don't do this now, we'll never get all or part of that 50K. He's dead, Jim. With our recent announcement as to underfunded members, all we have to do is straight-freeze the head, which costs about $1.43 in electricity. Are we going to throw $50K down the tubes, just because we are owed $2K? Hell no!"

Baa .. Baa,

FD

November 14th, 2010, 8:10 pm #5

I recall that the Chamberlains, when they ran Alcor in the late 1990's, offered lifetime memberships for a certain fee, apparently to raise some cash upfront for one of their schemes, and then even offered discounts off of that figure for members who showed up for dubious training sessions.

How many members remain grandfathered under that plan?
As I understood it, the "lifetime membership" offered was and is a replacement for the dues, but not for the suspension funding. Aren't those 2 very separate items?

Anyway, there are obviously a number of Alcor members out there right now who might be having second thoughts about whether they belong in Alcor, but as to making a change, the inertia of "lifetime membership" prevails. They paid all that money and I doubt Alcor would give a refund, even a prorated one for years-not-used.

FD

November 15th, 2010, 12:15 am #6

Since you can't predict very well when member A-xxxx needs suspension, followed by the check from the insurance company or other financial institution.

I just wonder how many members took advantage of the Chamberlains' offer, because from what I've gathered, that money didn't go towards a productive use. And yet these members still expect certain things from Alcor despite their long-vanished money.

November 15th, 2010, 5:26 am #7

I don't exactly recall if you are correct that the life membership offer occured during their 2nd reign at Alcor, but it is irrelevant. Alcor made the offer, it got peoples' bucks, and it sticks.

Unless Alcor were to do something really absurd and try to reverse it!

By comparison, it is my understanding that most CI members paid for "life" without recurring dues, and that only in very recent years they introduced a second option for regular dues-paying members (about 10% of what Alcor charges, IIRC).

So it is not unusual for a cryo org to have life members. That doesn't mean they are paid in full for life for cryo suspension, except now with Alcor they have gone and reneged on the unwritten understanding that their amount would be grandfathered in. I suppose this also applies to those who prepaid in cash??!!!

Grandpa in the Tuff Shed must be looking forward to his new neighbours; I truly hope they do not make much of a fuss and disrupt the neighbourhood tranquility!

Cheers,

FD

P.S. From the un subthread, I wonder how Alcor is dealing with the growing number of members who are over-funded for cryo suspension but have, on principle, stopped paying dues (the one with initials RP being the latest announced such person)? They obviously will not fail to perform services and collect on any with insurance.