Alcor in Suspension

Alcor in Suspension

January 17th, 2009, 10:46 pm #1

When trying to access the Alcor blog from Cold filter a warning message pops up saying: This Account Has Been Suspended. Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible. This is happening for about a week. I know everyone at Alcor got a big pay raise, but at least something should be left over from the big LEF contribution, or are they in the money saving mode so something would remain for the new CEO?

January 18th, 2009, 2:23 am #2

Try again. I got to it both by clicking on the link in my post about the patient care trust money, and by typing the link directly into a new browser window.

January 18th, 2009, 3:41 am #3

Maybe we are talking about two different blogs.
Try: http://www.network54.com/Forum/291677/ (Which is the Cold Filter)
then click: “Alcor United” (http://vorlon.doreo.com/suspended.page/)
You get : “This Account Has Been Suspended Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible. “
At least I am getting it.

January 18th, 2009, 4:34 am #4

Since you said blog, I assumed you were talking about Alcor's weblog, not so.

Alcorunited.org (AU), which is linked from CF at the main header "Alcor United" is obviously in trouble with its service provider, we don't know why yet.

As a bit of background, the AU site has never been officially a part of Alcor, although Alcor has mentioned it from time to time in its own publications. AU is run by an Alcor member, James Conaway, who has posted here in the distant past. Maybe I should say "was run" but it is too early to conclude that. AU has/had the dubious distinction of being a forum for Alcor members to speak their pieces and that is also open to the public including anonymouses. Heck, even I could get an account there.

It also is/was a very difficult forum to find anything in, or find one's way around in. Cold Filter has its minuses along that line as well, but at least most of the posts on CF are largely in reverse time sequence. On AU you first have to figure out what topic or whatever they call it, a post you want to follow up on, is in. That can be tedious, to say the least.

AU also has/had tacit support from Alcor in that one of Alcor's board members, Brian Wowk, makes/made his home there. He only posts on CF under aliases and since he is said to deny this it has probably been one of his family members who are the nepotist staff at Critical Care Research. This phenomenon has not recurred in recent months, though, so I will let it go.

If you were really looking for the Alcor blog (weblog) it is at:

http://www.alcornews.org/weblog/

My citing of the above source is not an indication of support thereof

Cheerio,

FD

January 19th, 2009, 3:45 am #5

Revisiting this, I read in detail "This Account Has Been Suspended
Please contact the billing/support department as soon as possible."

Perhaps they were merely following the example of Alcor itself, who Suspended Ted Williams and then asked for the money later?!

I'd sure like to know, though, who has been paying for this site all along. James Conaway, please come forward with an accounting. If it was Alcor funding it, well, I guess they can, without any member approval. It is what Alcor does.

FD

January 19th, 2009, 11:59 pm #6

So nobody at Alcor had one to renew the domain registration automatically. Better that they do without, given recent history.

January 20th, 2009, 5:12 am #7

Perhaps they were merely following the example of Alcor itself, who Suspended Ted Williams and then asked for the money later?!

I'd sure like to know, though, who has been paying for this site all along. James Conaway, please come forward with an accounting. If it was Alcor funding it, well, I guess they can, without any member approval. It is what Alcor does.

FD
I have heard from several sources, some not so friendly, that Conaway gave the Alcorunited.org forum over to somebody else, never completing a course set in the beginning as a forum for Alcor members to talk to each other.

Since this forum allowed commentary from anti-cryonic social retards like Jonathan Despres (assisted by Brian Wowk, board member) I guess it can be considered in history at about the same level as all the loosescrewed forums and blogs of Rick Potvin, which have come and now seemingly mostly gone.

Some have also alleged that Alcor never funded AlcorUnited.org, that James Conaway did it out of his own pocket. Well if so, D*g bless him for that Puppy.

Cheers,

FD

January 21st, 2009, 4:58 am #8

FD
Stephane, a person said to be with the Y chromosome (don't get confused with the French) is reported to me to be the person to whom Conaway bequeathed the errant forum "alcorunited.org". He is most likely one of the anonymous people there who seemed to be in charge, while the forum was still up. I wonder which one of them he is.

I don't wonder very hard, tho. But I will ask anyway: "Stephane, why didn't you pay the light bill?"

RIP,

FD

January 21st, 2009, 2:35 pm #9

Along with his French wife Magali. Scroll down to pp. 16-17:

http://www.alcor.org/cryonics/cryonics0802.pdf

Chana de Wolf, who wrote the article, says that:
. . . Magali and Stephane realize that cryonics suffers from a lack of notoriety and, as a result, a want of
members.
"A lack of notoriety"?

January 22nd, 2009, 2:25 am #10

Sorry I couldn't resist!

Cheers,

FD