According to Melody Maxim's latest blog post, bigotry is winning within cryonics

According to Melody Maxim's latest blog post, bigotry is winning within cryonics

December 10th, 2010, 4:41 am #1

In support of bigotry and prejudiced thinking against minorities....

Here is a solute to white power:

The title for this picture is "I don't think he's going to make it."

http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:152078
Last edited by CF_Moderator on December 10th, 2010, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 10th, 2010, 6:34 am #2

Cryonics is a minority group of people sensible enough to preserve themselves.
Satanism is a minority group of people that deliberately paints itself as evil.

There's a pretty big difference there.

The world isn't black and white. It's full of probabilities that must be calculated. Consider the following argument:

David being a satanist is evidence of him being a flake because flakes are attracted to satanism.
David being a cryonicist is evidence of him being a flake because flakes are attracted to cryonics.

While he may not be a flake, he has twice the evidence of being one going for him as a person who only meets one description or the other.

Given the above, I wouldn't be hasty to elect him to a position of power.

December 10th, 2010, 7:32 am #3

This is about incompetent white trash bigotry verses rationalism and tolerance. Consider it a modern day version of homo-phobia for those capable of rational thinking.

My question to you is, are you aware of David comiting any crimes, and do you have evidence to support your claim?

December 10th, 2010, 7:44 am #4

No, I'm not aware of him committing any crimes. Perhaps someone could do a criminal background check and see? That sounds like a very sensible suggestion to me.

December 10th, 2010, 8:31 am #5

As one human being to another, I care more about your actions than whether or not you think the Easter Bunny is real. I care more about the fact of whether you make a positive contribution in this world or not. I care about how we may interact and work together to make a positive contribution. Simply speaking, your religious views are the last thing on my mind. Why? Well, you could claim to be a good Christian, but in the real world, you may not be worth more than a lying scumbag. So, my attitude is to judge the individual and their deeds, not their religious beliefs. So, I beg you and others, why pass judgement on anyone, unless there is clear evidence of a crime? If you are not aware of a crime taking place, why should you or anyone else be so eager to cast the first stone?

December 10th, 2010, 1:45 pm #6

I believe the point is misrepresentation.
Taking money without being able to, or never intending to, provide services.
My opinion is, cryonics is full of it.

People are taking money for services they do-not provide.
Self deception? Deliberate? I can only judge from what I can find.

Vitrification is touted as the solution to ice crystals. (freezing damage)
Has anyone been vitrified? No. How can you check? You cant.

6 months ago I would have asked (and believed) a jet setting, hot tub hopping, family busting
cryonics expert, now, not so much. Mid life crisis maybe.

What the hell, its only a future life no-one actually deserves to have anyway. ?

December 10th, 2010, 2:17 pm #7

My opinion, cryonics is not full of misrepresentation. It is very misunderstood by a lot of people though. And many members of the community are flaky because of the fact that this is commonly seen (falsely in my view) as a freakish and unrealistic idea. The more evidence we have against the main leaders being flaky the better.

Stabilization improves your odds relative to a straight freeze (which in turn improves them relative to standard mortician work). How much depends on how well executed the plan is, but also on how predictably you die and whether you do so near the organization. EUCRIO is a fundamentally good idea because Europe is geographically small. Contracted physicians can be available more easily without having to wait months on the other side of a large continent.

Edit: I decided to take out the part of this post where I suggested David switch to a less public role. It might be a good overall idea from a PR perspective, but it would be his decision to make and might not be easy to find a suitable replacement. The main goal should be to have solid people making sure the job gets done.
Last edited by lsparrish on December 13th, 2010, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

queensblade
queensblade

December 10th, 2010, 3:44 pm #8

"It is very misunderstood by a lot of people though."
I know what that REALLY means !

I'm all for cryonics!
My old lady - not.
So I'm trying to convince her, only the information I get, well, It's not helping.
I'll keep looking tho...

December 10th, 2010, 6:35 pm #9

This is about incompetent white trash bigotry verses rationalism and tolerance. Consider it a modern day version of homo-phobia for those capable of rational thinking.

My question to you is, are you aware of David comiting any crimes, and do you have evidence to support your claim?
Just because someone hasn't committed any crimes doesn't mean everybody is required to accept him as a doctor (or other medical service provider) or else be bigoted.

When I got married, I married one woman and rejected all others. I rejected women who weren't my color and women who were, women who were of my religion and women who were not, short women, tell women, pretty women, ugly women. I wasn't bigoted for rejecting them. I just didn't want them partnering with me in that role.

You can accept or reject David Styles, et al, for whatever reason you wish. And the rest of us can judge you or not judge you by that decision if we wish. You're free to make the same judgment. That is freedom of association.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind sitting down to a cryonics presentation hosted by Mr. Styles. But that would require flying one of us to a different continent, so I'd probably be forgoing a lot of other things I'd rather do more. Doesn't make me bigoted. :)

December 10th, 2010, 6:36 pm #10

As one human being to another, I care more about your actions than whether or not you think the Easter Bunny is real. I care more about the fact of whether you make a positive contribution in this world or not. I care about how we may interact and work together to make a positive contribution. Simply speaking, your religious views are the last thing on my mind. Why? Well, you could claim to be a good Christian, but in the real world, you may not be worth more than a lying scumbag. So, my attitude is to judge the individual and their deeds, not their religious beliefs. So, I beg you and others, why pass judgement on anyone, unless there is clear evidence of a crime? If you are not aware of a crime taking place, why should you or anyone else be so eager to cast the first stone?
Wouldn't it be better to leave religion behind, then and argue for Mr. Styles based on his credentials for the job he is proposing to do?

I mean "Satanists (or Christians, or FSM-believers) aren't necessarily bad, so accept them as your cryonics service provider" isn't really a very persuasive argument.