Renewing old rubber parts

June 16th, 2018, 8:46 pm #1

Has anyone had any luck renewing old rubber parts, like the boots between airbox and carbs on a Kawasaki GPz?  I can't find replacements and the ones I have are like rocks.  I read that wintergreen oil and xylene boiled into them, then soaked for a while, will soften them.  I ordered the wintergreen oil on fleabay and can get the Xylene at Ace Hardware, because I live in a civilized state that has not banned everything except organic items.  The recipe is that you use 30% wintergreen and 70% Xylene and a gallon of water, barely bringing to a boil.  Let it simmer for a while.  Then it varies, let it soak to cooling, take it out and use it, or put it in a sealed jar for a week.  The Xylene is supposed to open the pores, the wintergreen is supposed to get deep inside the part and keep it soft.  Unlike HD, the Kawasaki parts are hard to find and expensive.

Anyone have any input that is helpful?
We're gonna hit the road for one last time
We can walk right in and steal 'em blind
All that money
No more runnin'
I can't wait to see the old man's face
When I win the race

June 17th, 2018, 5:06 am #2

I hope it works, let us know

June 22nd, 2018, 10:59 pm #3

So i got the Wintergreen oil from ebay supplier this week and went by Ace Hardware and bought the Xylene (Xylol) last night on the way home from work.  I put the four rubber boots that go between the airbox and carbs in a 1 gallon plastic container so they would all fit on the bottom.  I poured the Wintergreen Oil in first, then refilled that bottle three times to get the prescribed mix.  But that didn't quite cover the boots.  So I just poured a little more Xylol on top until it covered them. I rotated it around a couple times to mix and cover.  Then I put the lid on loose to allow for heat expansion, etc.  I pulled one out after an hour and it was still hard as a rock, then put it back in.  I got involved putting a sissy bar on a hardtail 69 sportster and forgot about it.  So this morning, I was getting ready to head down to Rockport, Texas for the weekend.  I smelled wintergreen in the garage and remembered the rubber parts.  I looked in the jar and noticed they were square, not round like last night.  They swelled up a little from the Xylene, but they smell great.  I took them out and they are nice and soft.  Put them on a paper towel on the bench to sit until Sunday when I get back to see if a) they are still huge b) they got hard again c) dissolved.  If all goes well, I will try to get the good ones off the Kawi GPz550 and do it to them.  If all works well I can sell the first ones.  Or put them in the glove box of my F150 to make it smell nice.
All that money
No more runnin'
When I win the race

June 23rd, 2018, 12:57 am #4

I hope it Werks!

June 23rd, 2018, 5:58 pm #5

If they dont work out I will do that to an old set of xs 1100 boots and keep them by the cats litterbox to make it smell purdy!

June 25th, 2018, 12:11 am #6

I just got back to town.  Checked those rubber carb boots that soaked for 12 hours or so, then they sat in my garage on a bench for three days.  They are still soft.  So I took the hard ones off my bike and put them in the solution.  I hope I remember to take them out in the morning, otherwise they will sit in Xylene all week while I am out in San Jose.  Garage smells great too.
All that money
No more runnin'
When I win the race

September 5th, 2018, 2:36 am #7

Well we've been in suspence long enough did they work? Are they still soft? 
Driving that train, high on cocaine
Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
Trouble ahead, trouble behind

September 5th, 2018, 3:00 am #8

The garage still smells great.  And the rubber parts are still pretty flexible.  Sorry for the delay, got that Kawasaki running and reassembled.  Had to put a liner in the tank.  Did that one with Kreem, never again.  Did the next one for a Sportster with POR15, much better.  Pingel valves are tits.  Pingel makes a kit for the Kawasaki that fits great.  I have a box of fuel petcocks that were supposed to be perfect, none fit.

Got my 77 Sportster going again and started on a 69 Sportster.  I keep looking at the 74, but it needs a transmission.

1 part wintergreen oil, 5 parts Xylene (or enough to cover the parts).  Clean the rubber parts good first, soak in solution overnight.  Let sit out but not in the sun, maybe even cover with a rag to slow dry the Xylene off.  I would rate it a solid 8, maybe even a 9, as a process to renew old rock hard rubber.  
All that money
No more runnin'
When I win the race