there are designers & then there is Enzo Mechana

there are designers & then there is Enzo Mechana

August 2nd, 2006, 11:34 pm #1

Saw these a couple of days back and decided it was a must for my KEEPER collection, These bad boys are built to withstand a Nuclear holocaust, as that is the feeling one gets with them , they are rock solid bomb proof watches, No frills No spills Pure TOOLS for the wrist, Rated at 1000M! each, designed by Enzo and IMO he has created for my taste the perfect watch, right from the incredible lumed chapter ring, re-design of a classic mercedes hands,Crown is just Mammoth!!.. even for my hams ROTF! making time changes a friggin breeze, the ETA! 2824 runs so smooth under the hood and not a sound through its thick case,The bracelet is so cool with its screw pins instead of just pins, and the clasp is a cool feature which matches the crown end perfectly, Although based on the Schaumburg case but with some excellent innovative designing from Enzo and his team, he has created a very unique watch indeed, Personally I really dig the Prototype with out the bezel markings as I think this gives it a refreshingly cool twist to the same old same old markings we see everyday, The bezel on the PVD is amazing with its super easy grip, I know you could turn this wearing a boxing glove covered in Vaseline without a problem at all ROTF!
These are IMO Fantastic watches all round seriously well thought out and built, and definitely not built for the faint of heart, and I believe they are for the Wolves of this world and not the sheep.

Easy to imitate, not so easy to innovate.

August 3rd, 2006, 3:58 am #2

nt

August 3rd, 2006, 4:48 am #3

Saw these a couple of days back and decided it was a must for my KEEPER collection, These bad boys are built to withstand a Nuclear holocaust, as that is the feeling one gets with them , they are rock solid bomb proof watches, No frills No spills Pure TOOLS for the wrist, Rated at 1000M! each, designed by Enzo and IMO he has created for my taste the perfect watch, right from the incredible lumed chapter ring, re-design of a classic mercedes hands,Crown is just Mammoth!!.. even for my hams ROTF! making time changes a friggin breeze, the ETA! 2824 runs so smooth under the hood and not a sound through its thick case,The bracelet is so cool with its screw pins instead of just pins, and the clasp is a cool feature which matches the crown end perfectly, Although based on the Schaumburg case but with some excellent innovative designing from Enzo and his team, he has created a very unique watch indeed, Personally I really dig the Prototype with out the bezel markings as I think this gives it a refreshingly cool twist to the same old same old markings we see everyday, The bezel on the PVD is amazing with its super easy grip, I know you could turn this wearing a boxing glove covered in Vaseline without a problem at all ROTF!
These are IMO Fantastic watches all round seriously well thought out and built, and definitely not built for the faint of heart, and I believe they are for the Wolves of this world and not the sheep.

I just can't get on board with this watch. I dunno, but the way this thing has appeared on the boards in the past week just seems like a blatant marketing pitch. The watch is a derivative design that uses the same case as the Schaumburg/Nauticfish (a watch I own but let's be honest, not exactly an example that will end up in the Horology Hall Of Fame!). The hands leave me so cold I think I'm gonna need an electric blanket and some battery-powered socks to fend off pneumonia! The brushed bezel on a 1000m "dive" watch makes zero sense and smacks of the ultimate fashiony "look-at-me" stuff I wanna stay away from in a watch and while the easy to grip aspect of the PVD version's bezel could be considered a groovy thing, the black-on-black design doesn't exaclty add the your diving experience!

Maybe I'm too much into the form-following-function school of design, but there's gotta be a reason why form and function are so interconnected! I want to own a watch that not only pumps my nads from a visual standpoint, but it's gotta make a bit of sense in the functional world too...

BT

August 3rd, 2006, 11:50 am #4

n

August 3rd, 2006, 3:06 pm #5

I just can't get on board with this watch. I dunno, but the way this thing has appeared on the boards in the past week just seems like a blatant marketing pitch. The watch is a derivative design that uses the same case as the Schaumburg/Nauticfish (a watch I own but let's be honest, not exactly an example that will end up in the Horology Hall Of Fame!). The hands leave me so cold I think I'm gonna need an electric blanket and some battery-powered socks to fend off pneumonia! The brushed bezel on a 1000m "dive" watch makes zero sense and smacks of the ultimate fashiony "look-at-me" stuff I wanna stay away from in a watch and while the easy to grip aspect of the PVD version's bezel could be considered a groovy thing, the black-on-black design doesn't exaclty add the your diving experience!

Maybe I'm too much into the form-following-function school of design, but there's gotta be a reason why form and function are so interconnected! I want to own a watch that not only pumps my nads from a visual standpoint, but it's gotta make a bit of sense in the functional world too...

BT
Obviously not to your taste , but many people do like the Enzo Prototypes .

Yes the case is the same base as the Schaumburg , but as I showed in another post, many great watches in the 70`s used the same case .They had very different Dials,Hands,Bezels and Movements but all shared the same base.

The watch with the Brushed Bezel was made for fun,and to give a very different look , and there will be very few like it.

The initial watch is a 1000m Dive Watch with a Uni-Directional Dive Bezel,and Helium Release.

Like you I am a Panerai owner .Panerai as we both know were originally Tool-Watches .

How many Paneristi do you think, actually Dive with their Panerai on?

I love the classic Panerai Base design , but although Waterproof to 300m, it is not very functional as a Diver .........Does it then fall into the " Ultimate Fashiony .. look at me stuff " Category , and make solely the Panerai Submersibles correct.

They are simply different Panerai designs,which appeal to different people,and they are used by the same company to Broaden it`s clientele

Enzo is trying to bring some very well built,reasonably priced watches to the market ,and I wish him all the best.

The Prototypes that I bought from him are excellent , keeping time to well within C.O.S.C. standards tough as nails , and ultimately fun

Cheers,
Vic
Last edited by papillonvic on August 3rd, 2006, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2006, 9:54 pm #6

nt
3dc

Oh SO Much MORE than just a Watch

Cheer's & Beer's ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer

August 4th, 2006, 6:44 pm #7

BT
You are right about the Schaumburg case as I own three of them, and YES they will never make the HHOF!... which can be said about 99% of watches on the market today relistically that is.
The fact that Enzo suddenly appears on the scene like a Szunami raveging a City is also maybe a true point you have made, BUT like any Tidal wave when its there WE all know, and unlike that TW there are some that will embrace it and naturally others that will not "Nature of the Beast".
Now Panerai for example is worn by enthusiasts no different than any other WIS around the world, BUT there are a HUGE amount of Panerai wearers that ONLY wear them as a Fashion statement and a Status symbol, (LOOK at how well we are doing), not inlike Rolex, and I know YOU!! cannot disagree with that? well you could but there is truth in what is said about the Prestige of those, Personally I have owned three Panerai's and they are great watches with out a doubt,But have started to lose there individualistic appeal for me personally (SATURATION & FLOODING of the Market) and they are unpractical for diving, and most Pam owners will admit they dont dive their watches anyway, which defeats the object as you said in your comments and I do agree with that, but never the less WE all buy what we deem to be a personal choice, And maybe even a Mild or wild statment in the watches in what we all choose no matter if it's a TIMEX or a ROLEX!Cheap or Pricey, they ALL have one thing in Common and thats they tell the time, so the Cosmetics/BUILD quality is really what we ALL go for, Movement is the later research, would any of us buy a Timex if it had a Rolex Movement ??? Probably NOT, which means it is design that attracts us to our beloved timepieces.
EVERY watch on the PLANET bar none started with someone's personal desire to build and create a great watch, some reach the pinnacle of succes and naturally some don't, My Analagy to this is EVERY great Movie star started at the BOTTOM and without people like US to support them , They would NEVER reach stardom PERIOD.

Funny when I dive I use a Citizen auto Zilla and a Citizen 20th anniv.

Last edited by 1000mshane on August 4th, 2006, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2006, 2:44 am #8

BT
I have gone back and forth in my mind about the originality of design (average), functionality (basic), etc, so I guess I can say I could like the watch...IF... the price point comes below the Nauticfish/Schaumburg/whateverpseudonym price. Beat their cost and I have a reason to buy the watch.

Sorry to be so blunt, but in a world of cookiecutter design, price wins most of the time.
Last edited by reloloco on August 5th, 2006, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2006, 12:36 am #9

I think it's very cool how Enzo is trying to introduce his watches, with the features and specs that they have, while not being too "pricey" as Shane and Victor touched on.

Watches are like cars, they express our personalities. Some people drive an economy car because it gets them from point A to B. Likewise some people wear a Timex because it TELLS TIME. It's all about what you want or need...nothing more.

Don't like it, don't buy it....simple.