The Ultimate watch test -

The Ultimate watch test -

March 9th, 2007, 2:18 pm #1

Guys, i received the watch and the case is super tough looking! I want to see how tough it REALLY is...

so here is what i did. (STay tune to find out what happens next)

[/IMG]

March 9th, 2007, 4:57 pm #2

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Easy to imitate, not so easy to innovate.

March 9th, 2007, 6:34 pm #3

Guys, i received the watch and the case is super tough looking! I want to see how tough it REALLY is...

[/IMG]
I dunno, but I can hardly see the point of FREEZING a watch to see if it can take it! Who are you trying to impress? I don't think that kind of abuse is covered under ANY warranty, expressed or otherwise.

BT

March 9th, 2007, 6:57 pm #4

[/IMG]
the watch was put into the Freezer

then i took it out to check it after about 90 minutes, you can see the ice is just beginning to crystalize
[/IMG]

Stay TUNE for more!

March 9th, 2007, 11:16 pm #5

[/IMG]
nt

March 10th, 2007, 1:35 am #6

the watch was put into the Freezer

then i took it out to check it after about 90 minutes, you can see the ice is just beginning to crystalize
[/IMG]

Stay TUNE for more!
Pardon my harping on the issue, but I still don't get it...do you just wanna destroy a cool watch or is there some hidden scientific meaning to all of this? Hell...it's your money and you can do what you want, but if it was my eleven hundred bucks I wouldn't be dropping the damned thing in the icebox!

BT

March 10th, 2007, 4:29 pm #7

[/IMG]
The lowest temperature the case will experience is 32F (0C) since it is surrounded by ice. The air temperature may be colder, but frozen water does not get lower than 32F. The water acts as a shield between the ambient air and the case of the watch so it will only get as cold as 32F.

If you want to test the watch below 32F, take it out of the ice and put it directly in the freezer so it can be exposed to the ambient air temperature in the freezer. I'm not sure what temperature you have set your freezer, but you can find out by putting your thermometer in there with it.

Hopefully the water has not crept past the crown and got in the movement. Otherwise it will expand inside the case when when frozen and cause some damage.

Good luck and happy testing.

March 10th, 2007, 5:15 pm #8

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Easy to imitate, not so easy to innovate.
226 or 308?

DW

March 10th, 2007, 5:36 pm #9

The lowest temperature the case will experience is 32F (0C) since it is surrounded by ice. The air temperature may be colder, but frozen water does not get lower than 32F. The water acts as a shield between the ambient air and the case of the watch so it will only get as cold as 32F.

If you want to test the watch below 32F, take it out of the ice and put it directly in the freezer so it can be exposed to the ambient air temperature in the freezer. I'm not sure what temperature you have set your freezer, but you can find out by putting your thermometer in there with it.

Hopefully the water has not crept past the crown and got in the movement. Otherwise it will expand inside the case when when frozen and cause some damage.

Good luck and happy testing.
Just because water freezes ar 0C doesn't mean that it can't get any colder. Just because steel (for example) solidifies, or 'freezes', at around 1400C doesn't mean that it remains at 1400C.

In this case, the water will freeze, and then drop to the ambient temperature of the freezer.

March 10th, 2007, 11:29 pm #10

Pure water can not get colder than 0 C.

It phase changes (to ice) and then the ice gets colder, or you can make the water impure by adding ions or liquids either of which will depress the freezing temp.

As to why you want to subject a watch to this--no opinion.