Some New Wrist Presence

Some New Wrist Presence

August 14th, 2007, 2:48 pm #1

Just wanted to follow up on a few previous posts with a few pics of my new Kobold SOA on a Strap Culture and my new 44mm Glycine Incursore beater on a Rhino...

As you can see I've already been messing around making some mods to the Incursore. I added some Panerai type black hands and I rotated the dial 180 deg. Although I love the big crown for ease of winding it was sticking me pretty good in the back of the hand. Next upgrade will probably be to get the dial re-lumed. The current lume is almost nonexistent.

August 14th, 2007, 7:05 pm #2

v

August 14th, 2007, 8:04 pm #3

Just wanted to follow up on a few previous posts with a few pics of my new Kobold SOA on a Strap Culture and my new 44mm Glycine Incursore beater on a Rhino...

As you can see I've already been messing around making some mods to the Incursore. I added some Panerai type black hands and I rotated the dial 180 deg. Although I love the big crown for ease of winding it was sticking me pretty good in the back of the hand. Next upgrade will probably be to get the dial re-lumed. The current lume is almost nonexistent.

i am curious to see some images after you re-lume her!

August 14th, 2007, 11:04 pm #4

I like the way Kobolds look and they seem to be sturdy, but what is your opinion as an owner. Thanks

August 15th, 2007, 2:00 pm #5

I LOVE IT!!! Of course the company is based in my hometown of Pittsburgh so I may be a bit biased. I have always been partial to the ETA 6497 hand wind movement and when I saw the Kobold SOA I had to have one. I picked mine up second hand in brand new condition with the Ti bracelet on a sales forum for $1500. It's a great size for my 8" wrist, the diameter and thickness proportions are just right. The Ti case is amazingly detailed and I think it has a bit of a "Blade Runner" classic futuristic look. The bezel may be stainless or polished Ti, I'm not sure, but it makes a for a great contrast with the darker brushed case. The brushed Ti dial has pretty decent blue/green lume and seems to change color depending on how you look at it. I thought I was really going to have a problem with the 22mm lug width, but the factory bracelet is non-tapered and visually looks as wide as any 24mm tapered one.... I am not much of a bracelet guy and the leather strap that comes with the watch is a bit wimpy, so I ordered a Strap Culture 22/22mm and I'm very pleased with the quality, thickness and overall look. It's not a heavy watch so if that's what you're into I'd maybe check out the SS Seal instead. I actually enjoy the light weight because I wear my straps loose and the head is not flopping around all the time. Like I said before I'm not a bracelet guy, but if I was I would have one big issue with this watch. The bracelet fits kinda goofy at the lugs, almost like it was an afterthought or something. If we all had 10" Popeye wrists the bracelet would flatten out near the lugs and all would be fine. The fact is that even with an 8" wrist the first set of links near the lugs kinda stick out and then the second set of links sort of "drop down" to meet your wrist. It's a bit hard to describe, but SOA owners will know what I'm talking about. Maybe someone with an SOA on the bracelet can post a wrist shot of the lug area.

Pros:
Very unique case and dial design, quality machine work, close attention to detail, local MADE IN THE USA company, can still get a second hand one for a decent price.

Cons:
MSRP of $2700 may be a bit much IMHO, crown guards, although very protective, interfere a bit with ease of winding, wimpy factory leather strap, factory bracelet fits kinda goofy at the lugs.

Summary: I'm proud to have it in my collection and it will continue to see a lot of wrist time. It's definitely a keeper!!!