Opinions on RWC 1938A?

Opinions on RWC 1938A?

January 21st, 2006, 8:14 pm #1

Looks like an interesting watch to me. I like that it is an homage to the old Rolex/Panerai model, and not merely a Panerai copy/wannabe. I also really like the case shape.

I have a hard time thinking that Panerai are worth the $$$ they are going for these days, and the 1938A seems like a nice way to get a watch in that tradition for a fairer price.

What do those of you who have experience with the watch think of it? Is it a decent buy?

Cheers,
Daniel

January 21st, 2006, 11:16 pm #2

I have the same thoughts on that watch, in fact, I'm seriously thinking of buying one this week. The only thing that gets me is that it is only 50 m water resistant. What kind of tribute is that to a dive watch?

January 22nd, 2006, 12:53 am #3

And as far as being a good hommage, I'd say the quality is as good as the Panerai Blackseal and I've owned both.

The watches are excellent. And the "new" panerai has never made this watch, only RWC. It's a wonder Panerai hasn't sued RWC as they did RXW.

Chris

January 22nd, 2006, 1:23 am #4

You really think it's as good as the Panerai Black Seal? Besides the movement finishing, right? The case, dial, crystal were all as good?

That's a pretty good endorsement in my book, not least because I'd be willing to wear the RWC in a lot rougher of circumstances than the Panerai.

Sounds like it might be on my list.

Thanks,
Daniel

January 22nd, 2006, 2:16 am #5

slip in and out. I think the RWCs system is better. Of course it uses a plain 6497 but it has a solid back so you don't notice it.

Dial, crystal and case are as good as the blackseal. Actually the crystal on the RWC is better as it's domed and chamfered. Very, very nice.

Chris

January 22nd, 2006, 3:45 am #6

And as far as being a good hommage, I'd say the quality is as good as the Panerai Blackseal and I've owned both.

The watches are excellent. And the "new" panerai has never made this watch, only RWC. It's a wonder Panerai hasn't sued RWC as they did RXW.

Chris
But we know that 30 m basically means you can wear it in the rain, 50 means that you might be able to wear it swiming.

January 22nd, 2006, 12:20 pm #7

Chris
>And as far as being a good hommage, I'd say the quality is as good
>as the Panerai Blackseal and I've owned both.

Hmm, you can argue if it's so convenient with a screw down crown
for a watch which needs manual winding every or every second day.

>And the "new" panerai has never made this watch, only RWC. It's a wonder
>Panerai hasn't sued RWC as they did RXW.

I seriously doubt they hold any TM's which is infringed in this case.

January 22nd, 2006, 1:10 pm #8

But we know that 30 m basically means you can wear it in the rain, 50 means that you might be able to wear it swiming.
And 1000 meters means that it was tested with a 50 meter device! No one would ever know better!

January 22nd, 2006, 1:57 pm #9

>And as far as being a good hommage, I'd say the quality is as good
>as the Panerai Blackseal and I've owned both.

Hmm, you can argue if it's so convenient with a screw down crown
for a watch which needs manual winding every or every second day.

>And the "new" panerai has never made this watch, only RWC. It's a wonder
>Panerai hasn't sued RWC as they did RXW.

I seriously doubt they hold any TM's which is infringed in this case.
have one so should an hommage? As for WR how many blackseal wearers will ever (and I mean ever) take their watches in the water? How about a big fat "o"?

Chris

January 22nd, 2006, 3:59 pm #10

You really think it's as good as the Panerai Black Seal? Besides the movement finishing, right? The case, dial, crystal were all as good?

That's a pretty good endorsement in my book, not least because I'd be willing to wear the RWC in a lot rougher of circumstances than the Panerai.

Sounds like it might be on my list.

Thanks,
Daniel
... but indeed a watch worthy of the $900 category.

My problems with it and why I sold it:

1) Luminosity was poor.
2) Didn't care for the domed crystal...
3) The dial is actually smaller than on a black seal.. makes the watch seem smaller.

Things I liked:
1) the price
2) the price
3) the price
4) pull crown.. I agree, for daily winding, it makes more sense.

I see them pop on the forums for <$700 so keep an eye out for one.