opinions and pictures of the XXL Railmaster please

opinions and pictures of the XXL Railmaster please

July 26th, 2005, 2:15 am #1

I'm considering this monster, but haven't talked to any owners. Would love pictures of front and back. Thanks in advance.

July 26th, 2005, 5:08 am #2

And so far I just love it.

Upsides: It´s a well built watch, with real good looks. It wears smaller than it is on account of it´s height. It´s a fairly thin watch compared to the MM20 or a Panerai.

The movement is beautiful underneath. I hardly ever look at it, ofcourse.

Downsides: The original strap is beautiful, and so is the folding clasp. But it tapers alot. 24/20. It looks puny on such a big watch. I did change mine for a Dons sharkskin, but it too tapers 24/22. Aim to get a new strap as soon as my finances improve. A 24/24 with a pre-v-style buckle.

I´m also a bit concerned about re-sale value. It´s a big watch (even though I don´t think it´s "silly", as an earlier comment on the board) and the market isn´t that big for a watch like that. I got mine at a good price (LNIB, used for a week) so I´m happy, and I probably won´t loose much, if anything, on mine.

Here´s a few pictures:

I haven´t taken any wristshots yet. But I have a 7 2/5 inch wrist and it sure looks nice on me.

Good luck on your purchase,

Niclas Lindström
Stockholm, Sweden

July 26th, 2005, 6:04 am #3

First, thanks for that response -- very valuable info. I surely wouldn't see this as an investment watch.

I agree with your strap assessment. So, you think you could where any 24MM strap with it? I definitely would swap out for an Mario Paci or something that gives it much more character. Do you see it as dressy, or can you wear it any time. If you had to choose between your Railmaster and your MM20 -- which one would go?

I have two pams and am considering trading my MM20 plus cash for a Railmaster.

Thanks again.

Mike

July 26th, 2005, 8:54 am #4

No problem, glad I can help!

I never see a watch as an investment, but if times get tough and I have to sell off a watch I´d really like to get what I paid for it or maybe a small loss. But I´m cheap by nature...

I don´t particulary like this combination that I´ve got on right now. The grey-black shark looks... well, a bit cheap on such a nice watch. But I feel it´s a tad better than the original strap. Plus, if I decide to sell it in the future, it´s nice to have a practically unworn original strap to go with it.

I have a few options when it comes to the strap I´m going to buy. First off, BWB has a really nice black elephant/white stitch which I really like. Wotjecki and Europelli has some nice ones as well. Wotjecki is a bit cheaper but looks very well made. We´ll see what I will choose.

I think the watch will look great on a vintage-look brown leather strap, a black/black semigloss, a black/white semigloss or a python with scales. But if you change the strap I´m guessing you change the characteristics of the watch as well. Sporty with a black/white strap, classic with a brown vintage look.

Hence, I think I can wear the watch anytime. If I´m going to something more formal, I might put on the original strap. Looks very dressy. But for work, play and summertime, I really need a new 24/24 strap. Going to order one today or tomorrow, we´ll see when I decide. I bet it will look good on a pre-v-style buckle.

I wouldn´t sell my MM20 right now. So it´s hard to decide which to keep. But right now, maybe, I´d sell the MM20 if I had to. I like the Omega. But it´s a new watch for me, so it will probably change in the future.

Sorry for the long rant,

Take care,

Niclas Lindström
Stockholm, Sweden

July 26th, 2005, 11:58 am #5

I'm considering this monster, but haven't talked to any owners. Would love pictures of front and back. Thanks in advance.

July 26th, 2005, 12:02 pm #6

nt

Cheer's & Beer's ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer ~!~

July 26th, 2005, 12:05 pm #7

nt

July 26th, 2005, 1:26 pm #8

No problem, glad I can help!

I never see a watch as an investment, but if times get tough and I have to sell off a watch I´d really like to get what I paid for it or maybe a small loss. But I´m cheap by nature...

I don´t particulary like this combination that I´ve got on right now. The grey-black shark looks... well, a bit cheap on such a nice watch. But I feel it´s a tad better than the original strap. Plus, if I decide to sell it in the future, it´s nice to have a practically unworn original strap to go with it.

I have a few options when it comes to the strap I´m going to buy. First off, BWB has a really nice black elephant/white stitch which I really like. Wotjecki and Europelli has some nice ones as well. Wotjecki is a bit cheaper but looks very well made. We´ll see what I will choose.

I think the watch will look great on a vintage-look brown leather strap, a black/black semigloss, a black/white semigloss or a python with scales. But if you change the strap I´m guessing you change the characteristics of the watch as well. Sporty with a black/white strap, classic with a brown vintage look.

Hence, I think I can wear the watch anytime. If I´m going to something more formal, I might put on the original strap. Looks very dressy. But for work, play and summertime, I really need a new 24/24 strap. Going to order one today or tomorrow, we´ll see when I decide. I bet it will look good on a pre-v-style buckle.

I wouldn´t sell my MM20 right now. So it´s hard to decide which to keep. But right now, maybe, I´d sell the MM20 if I had to. I like the Omega. But it´s a new watch for me, so it will probably change in the future.

Sorry for the long rant,

Take care,

Niclas Lindström
Stockholm, Sweden
Very informative, and I thank you again. I think I get the picture. Have you ever owned a Mario Paci? Sounds like this watch would look great with a Paci 1, 4 or 5. You should check them out. e-mail me if you need to know where to go. For value, the Maestro Historico (now only $75) might be the ticket.

Thanks again.

July 26th, 2005, 6:22 pm #9

nt
How've ya been old (litterally) chum?

July 26th, 2005, 9:14 pm #10

up North for you. Are there any critters left in the lake? Cheers.
Last edited by FrankV1 on July 26th, 2005, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.