New VS Old IWC Big Pilot 5002 VS 5004

New VS Old IWC Big Pilot 5002 VS 5004

January 30th, 2007, 5:34 am #1

Hi Everyone,

I got a big problem choosing this 2 models.

Appearance, movement and value.

Care to share your view?

January 31st, 2007, 1:38 am #2

and it was only a fluke that I got it as I just walked in to the AD of the street and it had just arrived and I liked it so I bought it. Since then I have found out that the movement in the first edition of BPs if you like, has been upgraded with a different beat rate.
I dont know if it would make a difference to the daily wearing of the watch though. I also believe that there was a problem with the early editions with the crown breaking off and this was rectified with the later models. I like mine as I have a large wrist but I think it could be a bit thicker. JMHO

January 31st, 2007, 1:53 am #3

I had to change the strap. I have a 8 1/4" wrist and it just made the first hole with none left to tuck in so I got one made from a German seller on the sales forums.never ceases to amaze me that they dont make straps a bit longer.Even XL aftermarket straps are not long enough for me. They must lose a lot of sales because of the short lenghts. Sorry for the rant but it is a pet hate of mine.

February 2nd, 2007, 1:05 pm #4

Huh... i was thinking of getting the new model too. but somehow the old model look much nicer to me. As i don't really like the 2 and 4 being cut off and the clock 9" has also taken out, look a bit unproportion with the right side with many things, but none on the left side.

That's the look, but the movement has hear that the old one are not so accurate is it?

Have not heard about the crowd dropping off. is that common? Did it happen to your friends? thats serious....

February 8th, 2007, 4:12 pm #5

.. the smoothness of the central seconds hand (amoungst other things!). i.e. it runs more fluidly on the new model and less choppy (which was an issue with the 5002.

personally, i like the new dial design. i think it suits the watch and makes it more cohesive. I like the tiny bit of red on the PR too. dont get me wrong, the old design is very nice too, but the 04 just does it MORE for me.

Webcalm