My New IW Marine Diver

My New IW Marine Diver

February 8th, 2007, 4:15 pm #1

Just wanted to share my new IW Marine Diver with the hand-wound Unitas caliber.

I had earlier owned the automatic version (ETA 2824) but I foolishly sold it and of course started missing it almost immediately!

At first I tought the blued hands would annoy me, but it has grown on me and they give it a distinctive look, IMHO.

This weekend I will go and get some straps for it, probably a black one and a light tan one to compliment the dark brown I have it on now. I bought it with the metal bracelet, but it is extremely heavy to wear, so I put it on a strap, and now it only weighs a ton!

Sorry about the crappy pictures, I need to use my lightbox to better capture the dial without light reflections.

Thanks!

Jorge.

February 9th, 2007, 7:10 am #2

Ive thought many tmes about buying one of these, since i cant yet afford the real thing. Whats the quality like compared to the panny?

February 9th, 2007, 2:54 pm #3

I had earlier owned the automatic version (ETA 2824) but I foolishly sold it and of course started missing it almost immediately!

At first I tought the blued hands would annoy me, but it has grown on me and they give it a distinctive look, IMHO.

This weekend I will go and get some straps for it, probably a black one and a light tan one to compliment the dark brown I have it on now. I bought it with the metal bracelet, but it is extremely heavy to wear, so I put it on a strap, and now it only weighs a ton!

Sorry about the crappy pictures, I need to use my lightbox to better capture the dial without light reflections.

Thanks!

Jorge.
Given the rules of this forum, how is it possible to discuss this watch?

4. NO DISCUSSIONS ON FAKES PLEASE! Definition of a fake is a product that uses someone else's brand without proper permission...

This company has been ripping off Panerai's worldwide registered trademarks from day-one and I can't for the life of me understand how they get away with it! Anyone who says this thing is an "homage" is kidding themselves. You want an example of an homage...fine! RWC's 1938A is an homage to an earlier design...it takes design elements from the earlier 47mm Panerai and adapted them into a smaller (45mm) case. It is in no way a copy of the earlier watch. The IWW Marine Diver is simply a copy of a Panerai Luminor Marina...end of story! This watch is no better than the stuff I see on Canal Street for $100.

BT

February 9th, 2007, 3:54 pm #4

Ive thought many tmes about buying one of these, since i cant yet afford the real thing. Whats the quality like compared to the panny?
the case is solid stainless steel, with a display back that uses a mineral crystal and the top crystal being sapphire.

It is very well made, heavy and rugged. I have seen the fakes on Canal Street and the IW does not compare at all, it is a superior watch.

Thanks.

Jorge.

February 9th, 2007, 4:01 pm #5

4. NO DISCUSSIONS ON FAKES PLEASE! Definition of a fake is a product that uses someone else's brand without proper permission...

This company has been ripping off Panerai's worldwide registered trademarks from day-one and I can't for the life of me understand how they get away with it! Anyone who says this thing is an "homage" is kidding themselves. You want an example of an homage...fine! RWC's 1938A is an homage to an earlier design...it takes design elements from the earlier 47mm Panerai and adapted them into a smaller (45mm) case. It is in no way a copy of the earlier watch. The IWW Marine Diver is simply a copy of a Panerai Luminor Marina...end of story! This watch is no better than the stuff I see on Canal Street for $100.

BT

February 10th, 2007, 6:05 am #6

Thanks!

Jorge.
nt
Last edited by cdigi on February 10th, 2007, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 10th, 2007, 9:18 am #7

BT

February 10th, 2007, 2:12 pm #8

BT
but this watch is not a fake, it is a knockoff. It does not claim to be a Panerai. The fake crap on Canal Street uses the names, logos, etc.

February 10th, 2007, 2:43 pm #9

What law school did you go to where "knockoff" is a recognized legal term? You wanna waste some time defending IWW about their ripping off Panerai's intellectual property and registered trademarks...you'll lose! Panerai has trademarked it's crown guard designs, their hand designs, the number fonts on most of their dials and their case designs. IWW infringes ALL of these marks. I'm sure Panerai is simply thrilled that they didn't go all the way and add the word "Panerai" to their rip-off watch, but it hardly matters...the watch is a copy, a forgery and a fake.

BT

February 10th, 2007, 10:58 pm #10

Thanks!

Jorge.
I'd love to see some pics of the bracelet. I have RXW that looks EXACLT like yours. Very solid, accurate, and tough. I have it on croco light brown strap. Very dressy. Is the bracelet polished, brushed or both? Let me know if u want to part with it.