My first Project...MM20 PVD w/ Blue Hands...sort of...

My first Project...MM20 PVD w/ Blue Hands...sort of...

February 25th, 2006, 7:48 pm #1

So, I have always wanted a PVD Pannie (4, 9 or 28)...but can't seem to pony up the cash for one. After seeing Guille's work on his homage project, I figured I would do something if I got the chance.

So, my bud Jim decides he is going to sell his MM20. So, I grab it and make up my mind:

PVD MM20 with Jack at IWW, and put some BLUED hands on it. Uh yeah..that was back in JULY 2005.

So, I send the MM20 back to Jack and it arrives Sept 1, 2005. Unfortunately, I didn't see on Jack's website that he is backed up and not taking any new PVD orders for a while. Well, at least I have some time to find my Blued hands, right?

So I search everywhere and find a gal Debbie Fong in HK that sells hands. She says that she can make me some blued hands for a great price. She sends pics of what they will look like:

So I order them and 2 weeks later they show up looking good. I send them off to Jack and now I just need to be patient and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

Then, Jack calls me on Dec 27th while I am playing golf. He is having a problem with his old PVD guy and switching to a new shop. Ok, no problem. All I have to do is be patient and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

So, January rolls around and I email Jack. Parts are starting to come back from the new place and they look good. He will get back with me. Of course, you watch guys know that on the day a new watch is supposed to arrive, we are standing at the door waiting for FedEx or the mail girl. So...patience is not my forte!

Early Feb comes around and I come to work to get an email from Jack titled:

"Lost Crown Guard" Oh my god....my heart sank! I open up the email and jack mentions that of all the 38 watches that came back, they can't find my crown guard. He will get back to me. So, I am freaking out now...all I can do is...........WAIT.

The next day, I email Jack and ask him what we can do. Being a true professional, he says that they are going to search for it and if they can't find it, they will replace it with the same part or buy me another watch. Obviously, I don't want him to have to do this...but it was nice of him to stand by his services. So, I post a WTB on this forum for a crown guard....and wait.

and wait...

Nobody responds. I am F*cked!

I come to work on Monday and Jack has emailed me: "CROWN GUARD FOUND!!!!!!!!"

But then there is another email with this picture in it:

Evidently, the MM20 hands on the left have a longer collar to raise them up because of the sandwich dial. The upside-down blued hand on the right doesn't have this. Jack tells me they won't fit. ARGGGGGGGGG! My fault. I have never seen hands off a watch before, so I didn't know they needed that! I emailed Debbie and she was a professional too and offered to make me some new ones and send them to me free of charge. Thanks Debbie!

So, finally, the email from Jack arrives the next day:

Wahoooooooooo! Looks sweet!

So, Jack sends it out EMS and I get it the next day. When I open the box, I am like a kid in a candy store. I take it out of the box and.........

*%&@#!!*&^%%%% The second hand is floating around inside the dial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hair catches on fire and I launch into an expletive laced tirade for about 5 minutes. It must have popped off in transit. Other than that, the watch looks perfect. Jack did an excellent job.

So, I take it down to my friend's watch shop and for $10, he takes the back off, pops the second hand back on, and I am ready to roll.

So, while I don't have the blued hands yet...here is my new MOD MM20 and I am loving it! I also have another stock one that I took some shots to compare it to:

I know it was long, but thanks for reading. I have to say that while it seemed like it took forever, it was definitely worth it. Jack and Debbie were both excellent people to work with and I can't wait to give this some more wrist time.

Cheers!
Scott

"Little man...imagine if this had been a Panerai!"

February 25th, 2006, 7:53 pm #2

I think it looks better without the blue hands anyhow.
Last edited by cdigi on February 25th, 2006, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 25th, 2006, 8:07 pm #3

So, I have always wanted a PVD Pannie (4, 9 or 28)...but can't seem to pony up the cash for one. After seeing Guille's work on his homage project, I figured I would do something if I got the chance.

So, my bud Jim decides he is going to sell his MM20. So, I grab it and make up my mind:

PVD MM20 with Jack at IWW, and put some BLUED hands on it. Uh yeah..that was back in JULY 2005.

So, I send the MM20 back to Jack and it arrives Sept 1, 2005. Unfortunately, I didn't see on Jack's website that he is backed up and not taking any new PVD orders for a while. Well, at least I have some time to find my Blued hands, right?

So I search everywhere and find a gal Debbie Fong in HK that sells hands. She says that she can make me some blued hands for a great price. She sends pics of what they will look like:

So I order them and 2 weeks later they show up looking good. I send them off to Jack and now I just need to be patient and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

Then, Jack calls me on Dec 27th while I am playing golf. He is having a problem with his old PVD guy and switching to a new shop. Ok, no problem. All I have to do is be patient and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

So, January rolls around and I email Jack. Parts are starting to come back from the new place and they look good. He will get back with me. Of course, you watch guys know that on the day a new watch is supposed to arrive, we are standing at the door waiting for FedEx or the mail girl. So...patience is not my forte!

"Lost Crown Guard" Oh my god....my heart sank! I open up the email and jack mentions that of all the 38 watches that came back, they can't find my crown guard. He will get back to me. So, I am freaking out now...all I can do is...........WAIT.

The next day, I email Jack and ask him what we can do. Being a true professional, he says that they are going to search for it and if they can't find it, they will replace it with the same part or buy me another watch. Obviously, I don't want him to have to do this...but it was nice of him to stand by his services. So, I post a WTB on this forum for a crown guard....and wait.

and wait...

Evidently, the MM20 hands on the left have a longer collar to raise them up because of the sandwich dial. The upside-down blued hand on the right doesn't have this. Jack tells me they won't fit. ARGGGGGGGGG! My fault. I have never seen hands off a watch before, so I didn't know they needed that! I emailed Debbie and she was a professional too and offered to make me some new ones and send them to me free of charge. Thanks Debbie!

So, Jack sends it out EMS and I get it the next day. When I open the box, I am like a kid in a candy store. I take it out of the box and.........

*%&@#!!*&^%%%% The second hand is floating around inside the dial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hair catches on fire and I launch into an expletive laced tirade for about 5 minutes. It must have popped off in transit. Other than that, the watch looks perfect. Jack did an excellent job.

So, I take it down to my friend's watch shop and for $10, he takes the back off, pops the second hand back on, and I am ready to roll.

So, while I don't have the blued hands yet...here is my new MOD MM20 and I am loving it! I also have another stock one that I took some shots to compare it to:

I know it was long, but thanks for reading. I have to say that while it seemed like it took forever, it was definitely worth it. Jack and Debbie were both excellent people to work with and I can't wait to give this some more wrist time.

Cheers!
Scott

February 25th, 2006, 8:17 pm #4

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...

Cheers!
Scott

nt

February 25th, 2006, 8:27 pm #5

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...

Cheers!
Scott

Want to PVD/DLC my 113 and also pick up an 005 & have it done ala 195. Might have to make it a triple paly

February 25th, 2006, 8:43 pm #6

I think it looks better without the blue hands anyhow.
Yeah, after seeing it without the blued hands...I am not 100% sure whether to do it or not. At least it is a simple change if I don't like it!
-SW

February 25th, 2006, 9:22 pm #7

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...

Cheers!
Scott

nn

February 25th, 2006, 10:43 pm #8

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...

Cheers!
Scott

n/t

February 25th, 2006, 11:51 pm #9

Yeah, after seeing it without the blued hands...I am not 100% sure whether to do it or not. At least it is a simple change if I don't like it!
-SW

I do think black hands would look good though. nt

February 26th, 2006, 12:58 am #10

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...
and wait...

and wait...

Cheers!
Scott

I held a PVD MM20 and Know EXACTLY how nice and FUN it is

Congrats on your watch , Looks the Ducks Guts

Cheer's & Beer's ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer