I would like to share this with you (not about a "big" piece though)

I would like to share this with you (not about a "big" piece though)

December 15th, 2007, 8:40 pm #1

When my dad graduated from the Airforce Academy in 1950, he bought himself a Tissot watch. Apparently he had to put it on a payment plan since he did not have enough funds. He made payments for about a year, so that he could wear it when he married my mom the following year, 1951.

Tissot served him well over the years. The strap eventually broke and he replaced it with a simple steel bracelet he bought from a street vendor somewhere. Here it is… the way it looks now next to their wedding picture from 1951.

I gave him many watches over the years. He liked them, wore them, but he always went back to his Tissot. It was “his” watch after all, it meant a lot to him.

When he had a quadruple baypass a few years back, I was visiting him and he gave his Tissot to me. Knowing that I had a passion for watches, he knew I would appreciate it and cherish it over the years. Well, I bought him even more watches since then. Again, he liked them and wore them… but he still kept talking about his Tissot… how he bought it years back, paid for it for a year, wore it on his wedding, etc. He was happy that I had it but that has not stop him from talking about his beloved Tissot

So I figured, maybe another Tissot would do the trick… to some extent, at least. Here is one of the gifts he will receive from my wife and me for Christmas and their 56th wedding anniversary, which is on Dec. 23. Another Tissot... Tissot Le Locle Automatic…

I doubt this will do the trick all the way. I know he will still miss and talk about his “first Tissot” but at least, he will have another one that will be special in another way.

So, yes, things change over time… but some things don’t change much and that is a good thing…

Best regards,

Altan

December 15th, 2007, 8:48 pm #2

Love that Tissot.

I have an Omega pocketwatch from my grandfather, and it means the world to me.

Take care!

Niclas Lindström
Stockholm, Sweden

December 15th, 2007, 9:14 pm #3

nt

December 15th, 2007, 10:59 pm #4

When my dad graduated from the Airforce Academy in 1950, he bought himself a Tissot watch. Apparently he had to put it on a payment plan since he did not have enough funds. He made payments for about a year, so that he could wear it when he married my mom the following year, 1951.

Tissot served him well over the years. The strap eventually broke and he replaced it with a simple steel bracelet he bought from a street vendor somewhere. Here it is… the way it looks now next to their wedding picture from 1951.

I gave him many watches over the years. He liked them, wore them, but he always went back to his Tissot. It was “his” watch after all, it meant a lot to him.

When he had a quadruple baypass a few years back, I was visiting him and he gave his Tissot to me. Knowing that I had a passion for watches, he knew I would appreciate it and cherish it over the years. Well, I bought him even more watches since then. Again, he liked them and wore them… but he still kept talking about his Tissot… how he bought it years back, paid for it for a year, wore it on his wedding, etc. He was happy that I had it but that has not stop him from talking about his beloved Tissot

So I figured, maybe another Tissot would do the trick… to some extent, at least. Here is one of the gifts he will receive from my wife and me for Christmas and their 56th wedding anniversary, which is on Dec. 23. Another Tissot... Tissot Le Locle Automatic…

I doubt this will do the trick all the way. I know he will still miss and talk about his “first Tissot” but at least, he will have another one that will be special in another way.

So, yes, things change over time… but some things don’t change much and that is a good thing…

Best regards,

Altan
That is such a wonderful story. I'm sure your father will love the watch. I'll venture to say that you are a true gentleman.

Cheers,

David

December 15th, 2007, 11:04 pm #5

Best regards,

Altan
v

December 16th, 2007, 2:51 am #6

Best regards,

Altan
Enjoy all your Christmas's and the great memories you have of your parents. Might be a good idea to start a similar tradition with your children.

December 16th, 2007, 4:17 am #7

Best regards,

Altan
A very moving story, and thanks for sharing it!

December 16th, 2007, 5:33 am #8

nt

December 16th, 2007, 12:51 pm #9

Best regards,

Altan
Altan, that's what it's all about, isn't it?
We live our fast-paced lives from day to day, and sometimes it's nice to stop and think about what really matters...

My parents are celebrating their 58th wedding anniversary on the 26th of December. I wish my dad was well enough to be given a watch....

All the best for a great Christmas

December 16th, 2007, 7:57 pm #10

... recognize that as often as we should...

Please give my best to your parents, tell them "Happy Anniversary" from me too...

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones...

Altan