Franck Muller Question

Franck Muller Question

January 4th, 2006, 2:38 pm #1

I'm new here,but not new to the world of great watches. It's been a passion of mine for many years. I've read some terrific information here. I have a question. Why are Franck Muller watches received so badly here? I have a gorgeous one that I bought a year ago,and it is my favorite watch. Trendy for sure,but one might say the same for Panerai. In my opinion Franck Muller brought something new and different to the watch world,and mechanically they are excellent. One might question how the new kid on the block can charge as much as legends such as Breguet and AP. But it's quality and design that matters in the end. I really like Franck Muller watches(most of them anyway),and I'm happy to own one.

January 4th, 2006, 6:11 pm #2

The key word you use is TRENDY. Muller timepieces, it seems to me, are quite bold, theatrical, even whimsical. These are qualities that can date a watch and isolate it as last year's fashion. I mean no offence. The important part...the most important part is your passion for this line. Best wishes.

January 4th, 2006, 6:46 pm #3

I'm new here,but not new to the world of great watches. It's been a passion of mine for many years. I've read some terrific information here. I have a question. Why are Franck Muller watches received so badly here? I have a gorgeous one that I bought a year ago,and it is my favorite watch. Trendy for sure,but one might say the same for Panerai. In my opinion Franck Muller brought something new and different to the watch world,and mechanically they are excellent. One might question how the new kid on the block can charge as much as legends such as Breguet and AP. But it's quality and design that matters in the end. I really like Franck Muller watches(most of them anyway),and I'm happy to own one.
If you do some research you will find that Franck Muller left the company and was in the legal battle for a while with the guy who was running FM. There have been stories about FM using cheap Russian movements, people finding rust in their brand new watches and watches assembled in Armenia. The guy who is a CEO of FM is Armenian. I don't know how much is true in all that, but there is no smoke if there is no fire.

To top all that FM watches are highly overprised for what they are. If you get a complication you probably getting a good/great watch. Something that Franck Muller touched/designed/created himself is awesome, but a generic Casablaca is probably a cheap ETA in a so so case. And as I said many claim it is a Russian made cheap Pilot movement or something.

I personally loved the brand and always wanted to get one of their watches, But with all bad publicity and rumors associated with the brand I probably will skip on Franck Muller for now. I would guess it will take them many years to repair the public image and bring FM back to the level they used to be at.

January 4th, 2006, 7:03 pm #4

I know all about FM's various arrivals and departures. I have never worked in their factory,nor has anyone here. The internet is a great place for information,but it's also the leading cause of false rumors. Who knows what's true or not. Just because you read it that does not make it true. Maybe JLC uses some Japanese parts and they are just better at keeping it a secret. All I know is my watch is really nice and I've gotten more than a few complements on it. Plus it keeps amazing time.

January 4th, 2006, 8:24 pm #5

I agree with you. But at the same time Franck Muller himself was the one who filed the lawsuit and supported(spread?) some of those Armenian rumors. No need to repeat, but searching watch sites will give you some insight. As I said I like some of FM watches. Long Island, Casablanca, Transamerica, Crazyhours and few others. But in a watch world building a reputation-name-brand takes a long time. Hundreds of years. Franck Muller was guick going up and was really hot. All the rumors and lawsuit simply changed the perception of the FM brand in the watch world. Also they seem simply to be out of fashion. This is just my personal view, but in late 80's and earlir 90's there was Breitling and that was replaced by Franck Muller as a most fashionable watch and then Panerai took over. So the way I see it they seem to be out of the 'hot watch' status and also there is too much turmoil around the brand.

I almost pulled a trigger on 10 year Casablanca last month and as I said I like the brand, but in reality Franck Muller is a company that needs to reinvent itself at this point.

January 4th, 2006, 8:34 pm #6

Those are all very good points. It is safe to say that being a lover of fine watches means building a collection. No one has just one brand in their collection. I own many watches and each is from a different manufacturer. I only own one Franck Muller and I am not looking to buy another one any time soon. This brand may have legs,and then again maybe not. If not perhaps these will be valuable collectors items one day in the future. Until then I'm enjoying mine.

January 5th, 2006, 2:57 am #7

I used to be a "movement snob" and bought a lot of watches based on the manufacture and movement exclusivity but over time, I realized it wasn't the movements we are wearing, it's the design!!

Wear it, enjoy it and have fun!

Chaz

January 5th, 2006, 5:03 am #8

It is an incredible piece....CIAO

January 5th, 2006, 2:13 pm #9

Mine is very similar with black face and black leather strap. But not a Casablanca. Not sure of the exact model,but mine has a date and seconds counter. One thing is for sure. They are beautiful pieces.

January 7th, 2006, 2:37 am #10

I was working in a luxury watch store back in 1994, the store carried Franck Muller watches.

I can attest to the fact that FM wacthes are inferior in quality back then. A customer bought a cintre curvex model that had the rotor rubbing against the case, the watchmaker opened it to see major metal shavings inside. We also had other issues with the jump hour, and numerous problems.

That was then.

I don't know about FM watches now, I guess, if you are buying one with esoteric movements by Renauld (spelling?) & Papi, then you are getting a work of art. Otherwise, I'd stay away from the usual Casablancas or time-only watches, you never know...

Cheers,
CF.