Big Pilot opinions

Big Pilot opinions

October 30th, 2006, 1:14 pm #1

Guys,

I have been bitten by the "big pilot bug". Unfortuneately, the IWC isnt in my budget. I am looking at the Archimeade, Azimuth and Steinhart pilots (I'm looking for 47mmm, sapphire)could you all relate any experiences or opinions(good/bad) you have had with any of these?

Thanks,
T.J.

October 30th, 2006, 2:32 pm #2

ITS A FABULOUS WATCH, WITH FINE MOVEMENT..

I manage to secure one units of the last few production of the old model,, which is no longer in production,,Big pilot is only comparable with penarai pam 127 or 217 , 47mm diameter.. its may be advisable to save and keep one big pilot watch..

October 30th, 2006, 5:59 pm #3

Guys,

I have been bitten by the "big pilot bug". Unfortuneately, the IWC isnt in my budget. I am looking at the Archimeade, Azimuth and Steinhart pilots (I'm looking for 47mmm, sapphire)could you all relate any experiences or opinions(good/bad) you have had with any of these?

Thanks,
T.J.
Wonderful finish (Cote de Geneve) of the Unitas movement and NO date.

Here are different strap alternatives:

October 30th, 2006, 9:27 pm #4

October 30th, 2006, 11:17 pm #5

Guys,

Thanks,
T.J.
Hi

I'll try and do some pics later in the day, but I've had this for almost 6 weeks and it is my choice for most off-work hours. Somehow the dial simplicity and the overall togetherness makes it my choice for a big pilot.

daniel

October 31st, 2006, 6:24 am #6

... came up with the all steel version which looks just like the Azimuth... same size, same dial... except it is cheaper. I am not sure which one would be a better deal. Any ideas?

October 31st, 2006, 3:40 pm #7

And if Unitas, what does the decoration look like...if any?

October 31st, 2006, 4:35 pm #8

... hand winding movement -- Unitas 6497 nickel plated with blue screws and "Cote de Genève" design, 17 jewels. Of course, it has a display back and it looks stunning. They show both models (gold and steel) here:

http://www.steinhartwatches.com/content/view/288/198/

October 31st, 2006, 5:30 pm #9

That watch is excactely the same as Azimuth Jagdbomber!!! Except for the movement plates. The company have only decorated them, but didn't cut them.

But then again, that brand obviously live of other brands; Rolex, Azimuth, ChronoSwiss and others.
Last edited by KristianHaagen on October 31st, 2006, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 31st, 2006, 6:33 pm #10

dear mr. haagen, i suggest you accquire a copy of 'military timepieces' by konrad knirim, so that you may see for yourself, where azimuth and steinhart got their "inspiration" for their observer watches. watches like these have been produced by companies like iwc, laco, wempe, lange and others for the german air forces during world war 2. i can also assure you, that mr. steinhart did not know about the azimuth at the time he comissioned his grand marquis.

you are right however, that steinhart is copying other watchmaker's designs rather blatantly, and that is not something i approve of. i'm all for original design. i must say though, that steinhart's watches are of very good quality with lots of love for details. and unlike others in this segment, he's not only in it for the money, which you can see by looking at his prices.