June 3rd, 2006, 5:50 am #11

firstly, all you guys are being very nicey nice about each others watches, lets have some honest truths and a real hot and fiery discussion...all in good taste..where we can shake hands and enjoy a drink after whether we agree or not ??......anyway, i have just bought a vacheron overseas chrono...ok a lil boring, still very exclusive..and a straight talking luxury watch...now i also naturally looked at audemars..what a load of rubbish they are..their only main line is a outdated model called the royal oak or the royal oak offshore..just a ugly heap of metal on your wrist..(and they hail this a design classic!!)..secondly even if u like the royal oak/offshore..why not just stick to the basic designs?? now they have a juan pablo montaya offshore..and that cheap looking thing called the T3!! Which premier brand that reckons its in the "big three" would make a watch for a film..and that too with a huge tacky T3 engraved on the back?? it has brought itself down to the level of panerai and its "slytech" watches for sly stallone...dont you think that watches at this level and price should be above the celebrities and not having to have celebrities endorse it?? esp action stars of the 1980s??? Shouldnt a watch just ooze class, and if it happens to be that a celebrity wears one then that is ok..but for a brand like AP to make a watch based on a movie or celebrity is pure class...and to top it off they have made a JAY-Z watch with diamonds i heard?? makes me laugh..!! the steve mcqueen monaco by tag huer..thats ok..its just a tag...and a fun watch..but cmon...AP is meant to be legions apart...? how can they ever compare to patek bringing this junk out?? what do you guys think??
Schooled, yoy have been!!!

DSC's right, who cares who wears the watch? Buy it on emotion, because it SPEAKS to you!!! Rolex for some, Panerai others, Seiko, Casio, who cares?

To each his own!!!

June 3rd, 2006, 6:51 am #12

firstly, all you guys are being very nicey nice about each others watches, lets have some honest truths and a real hot and fiery discussion...all in good taste..where we can shake hands and enjoy a drink after whether we agree or not ??......anyway, i have just bought a vacheron overseas chrono...ok a lil boring, still very exclusive..and a straight talking luxury watch...now i also naturally looked at audemars..what a load of rubbish they are..their only main line is a outdated model called the royal oak or the royal oak offshore..just a ugly heap of metal on your wrist..(and they hail this a design classic!!)..secondly even if u like the royal oak/offshore..why not just stick to the basic designs?? now they have a juan pablo montaya offshore..and that cheap looking thing called the T3!! Which premier brand that reckons its in the "big three" would make a watch for a film..and that too with a huge tacky T3 engraved on the back?? it has brought itself down to the level of panerai and its "slytech" watches for sly stallone...dont you think that watches at this level and price should be above the celebrities and not having to have celebrities endorse it?? esp action stars of the 1980s??? Shouldnt a watch just ooze class, and if it happens to be that a celebrity wears one then that is ok..but for a brand like AP to make a watch based on a movie or celebrity is pure class...and to top it off they have made a JAY-Z watch with diamonds i heard?? makes me laugh..!! the steve mcqueen monaco by tag huer..thats ok..its just a tag...and a fun watch..but cmon...AP is meant to be legions apart...? how can they ever compare to patek bringing this junk out?? what do you guys think??
Why would you insult two AP and Panerai and all the people who love and enjoy them? To each its own and if you prefer VC it is great! You got one - wonderfull. But have respect for others!

There is nothing wrong with Panerai making Sly watches. If you would pull your head out of your ass you could of done some research and find out that Panerai as a brand exists these days becasue of Silvester Stallone. Sly saw one of their watches and ordered a watch for himself, then for his friends and had it in a couple of his movies. That brought some exposue to Panerai and this is how Panerai as we know it today came about! All the power to Panerai for paying respect to Sly with special editions. Without him there would of been no Panerai!

As far as AP goes they are by far the classiest watches out there. And theirs new designs - Montoya and Boricelli - are copied by everyone out there. They are clearly trend setters these days! From Hublot who simply brought back themself almost out the grave simply by imitating Montoya to almost any other watch company out there. Screws, rubber, shape and size from AP are imitated by everyone out there these days.

"vacheron overseas chrono...ok a lil boring, still very exclusive" - it is not boring. It is simply a falire from VC. Nothing wrong with it. Nice watch, but designwise it is a failure. It is not a great looking watch. It is not even a good looking watch. It is just ok. It has a spirit of Overseas, but it is not popular even comparing to the previous version of overseas. Even just after it was released it was sitting in display cases of VC dealers. It is not exclusive. It was critisized by many VC fans as a step back in the overseas design. Mostly for the bracelet and bazel. Montoya and Boricelli from AP are exclsive. Sold out within days and command many thousands over retail. Overseas - any dealer will offer you 20-30% off without much/any negotiation. Didn't you ask few days ago which one you should get and what response you got? Not too much support for overseas. In my eyes overseas is simply a disaster on the VC part. VC is a great brand. I had a pleasure to handle top of the line 200000 dollars watches from VC few weeks ago and they are stunning. Had a very nice conversation with their US represantavive. Awesome watches. But overseas is just a big miss on their part.

"junk" - are you nuts? AP - junk? Amazing designs? Cabinet peices? Montoya? Maserati? Concept? All of the cutting edge in horology technology they do with R&P? New AP revolutionary escapement shown this year without any fanfare?

Try to find any of AP limited editions and you will know what is exclusive: NY Butique, EndOfDays, Aligni, Montoya, Wempe, City Of Sails... Any VC dealer I been to in a last few years had full line of Overseas sitting on display!!!

How much do you know about watches? Or you just decided to get Overseas to replace your Rolex and that gave you the right to **** on everything else?

June 3rd, 2006, 7:00 am #13

my title that AP are crass & crap was just as an eye catcher...just as many might look down upon my VC overseas chrono...it was just som thoughts of mine...frankly any fine watch brand like AP i think shouldnt associate with guys like arnie....leave them to associate with lower brands like breitling(which has john travolta), and tag heuer, omega etc etc..if you ask me fine watches such as patek, vacheron, audemars, breguet, should not have any associations apart from historical ones or based on their movement/case/design etc after all, at this level this is what we are paying for....if you like celebrities associated with your watches..buy a crap jacob & co...or a tag heuer etc...let arnie be identified by BECAUSE he wears a offshore..and not the offshore being identified due to arnie...did that make sense...you know what i mean?
your post is offensive and disrespectful... shows your luck of knowledge and understanding of watch industry...

as far as arnold goes he achived in his life so much that any brand would be proud and happy to have him as an fan and owner with limited edition. and austrian who is a governor of california, one of the top grossing movie actors in th world and the most famous body builder in the world ever... what is wrong with AP making special editions for him?

at the end for watch companies it is all about making money. no matter how much we would like to think it is not. it is all about marketing and making the bottom line. i think AP has done pretty good for themselfs as of late. much better that VC for sure.

June 3rd, 2006, 7:46 am #14

U must be kidding me mate , ya canne compare the AP and Montoya with Sly and Panerai

Just for one ..... and I have to be short which is a bugger ..... sunday morning DU and off ... short and sweet I just pick one reason .......

Stallone has honest history with Panerai ,, and way beyond Richemonts Involvement with the brand , were going back 15+ Years , Sly helped establish the brand from a corporate imaging perspective before anyone , save Military Personal & Military Instrument Collector's, knew anything about the watches or could even pronounce the name Panerai , they never made a civilian watch till 93 , Stallone was the vehicle with which the brand was established many would say , and , gained some of it's cult status if you will

fwiw back in the late 80's and early 90's Sly was ,, well ,, erm ,, kind of a big STAR , if u didn't know it

So just for me no way you can compare the 2 , Apples and Oranges ,, NO ??

As for : down to the level of panerai and its "slytech" watches , Dont start me Up , ya dunne want dat

So it is quite fitting that the modern day Panerai pay Tribute to the Synergy that they share with Sly , History is Important , some would say

Now I Agree and Disagree WW....

I Agree that the vacheron overseas chrono.. is a Cracka U Bet
I Disagree that the AP Roo is not a Design Classic , it SO like Is

Hope that helps , see you at the Bar , I'll have a Beer Tanks & HAGWE Mates

Yeah your right , Slytech Prototype , what a FUGLY watch >>>>>

Ouch

Oh SO Much MORE than just a Watch

Cheer's & Beer's ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer

Hi there Hammer,

Gr8 pics and excellent reply ! What's the difference between the proto and "regular" 205A ?
Cheers,
mark

ps still njoying mine......

June 3rd, 2006, 8:40 am #15

Why would you insult two AP and Panerai and all the people who love and enjoy them? To each its own and if you prefer VC it is great! You got one - wonderfull. But have respect for others!

There is nothing wrong with Panerai making Sly watches. If you would pull your head out of your ass you could of done some research and find out that Panerai as a brand exists these days becasue of Silvester Stallone. Sly saw one of their watches and ordered a watch for himself, then for his friends and had it in a couple of his movies. That brought some exposue to Panerai and this is how Panerai as we know it today came about! All the power to Panerai for paying respect to Sly with special editions. Without him there would of been no Panerai!

As far as AP goes they are by far the classiest watches out there. And theirs new designs - Montoya and Boricelli - are copied by everyone out there. They are clearly trend setters these days! From Hublot who simply brought back themself almost out the grave simply by imitating Montoya to almost any other watch company out there. Screws, rubber, shape and size from AP are imitated by everyone out there these days.

"vacheron overseas chrono...ok a lil boring, still very exclusive" - it is not boring. It is simply a falire from VC. Nothing wrong with it. Nice watch, but designwise it is a failure. It is not a great looking watch. It is not even a good looking watch. It is just ok. It has a spirit of Overseas, but it is not popular even comparing to the previous version of overseas. Even just after it was released it was sitting in display cases of VC dealers. It is not exclusive. It was critisized by many VC fans as a step back in the overseas design. Mostly for the bracelet and bazel. Montoya and Boricelli from AP are exclsive. Sold out within days and command many thousands over retail. Overseas - any dealer will offer you 20-30% off without much/any negotiation. Didn't you ask few days ago which one you should get and what response you got? Not too much support for overseas. In my eyes overseas is simply a disaster on the VC part. VC is a great brand. I had a pleasure to handle top of the line 200000 dollars watches from VC few weeks ago and they are stunning. Had a very nice conversation with their US represantavive. Awesome watches. But overseas is just a big miss on their part.

"junk" - are you nuts? AP - junk? Amazing designs? Cabinet peices? Montoya? Maserati? Concept? All of the cutting edge in horology technology they do with R&P? New AP revolutionary escapement shown this year without any fanfare?

Try to find any of AP limited editions and you will know what is exclusive: NY Butique, EndOfDays, Aligni, Montoya, Wempe, City Of Sails... Any VC dealer I been to in a last few years had full line of Overseas sitting on display!!!

How much do you know about watches? Or you just decided to get Overseas to replace your Rolex and that gave you the right to **** on everything else?

hey thanks for your frank opinion....i do take on board what your saying that pieces like the montoya & end of days and even the T3 edition by AP command well over their retail prices..as they are such limited items...and yes the Vacheron overseas had been sitting at my AD for a few weeks..in fact i looked at it 3 times over 2 weeks without even putting a deposit on it..and when i rang up to buy it i had half expected it to be sold..but it was still there..so i guess it aint all that exclusive..however..when i meant exclusive..i meant compared to my breitling for bentley watch which i part exed it for...i heard breitling make about a million mass produced units year...whilts VC make about 30,000?? does this sound right..also i had probs trying to get hold of a black dialed new overseas chrono..a few guys here in the uk like watches of switzerland had only the white dial in..but none had the black dial apart from my AD here in leeds...yes some even go as far as saying that the new overseas looks a bit "seiko-ish"!!!...but then again i thought the jaeger amvox-1 for aston martin looked very very swatch...dare i say if it had swatch written on it i wouldnt even glance at it. This then would inevitably lead me to my next question....like designer clothes..are we first awed by the name on the dial..before we appreciate the movement?? Are we first happy to know the name on the dial is AP, VC, PP, breguet before we will take an interest in the movement ,case, finish??..would we then know if the names were removed from the dials..we would be able to make out which watch was a PP, VC, AP or a swatch, or seiko?? a discussion on this another controversial topic would be cool....

June 3rd, 2006, 9:59 am #16

Hi there Hammer,

Gr8 pics and excellent reply ! What's the difference between the proto and "regular" 205A ?
Cheers,
mark

ps still njoying mine......
hhn

June 3rd, 2006, 10:00 am #17

54g

June 3rd, 2006, 11:10 am #18

trv

June 3rd, 2006, 11:12 am #19

trgrt

June 3rd, 2006, 12:14 pm #20

hhn

Howdy....yep, that was the thing.... What I thougth was that from a couple of 201A pieces the 205A-proto and the 205A were made. Proto's still have the 201A ref on the back, the others 205A. And then there was something with "Slytech Panerai" vs "Officine Panerai Firenze" on the back. From your words I understand that the dials also came from different refs (203A) ?! Now that's interesting !

Need to dig into my files to get everything sorted.....!

Cheers maatje,

Mark