Timbaland Techniques

Timbaland Techniques

Sened
Sened

June 24th, 2009, 12:31 am #1

does anyone know how he got the hi-hats to stutter like they do in this songhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86YSKrCM0c ? be more specific than just "delay"

June 24th, 2009, 11:33 am #2

Just bring the tempo down to 60bpm and play it in then bring it back up or midi sinc you asr-10 to your computer and write them in.

sened
sened

June 25th, 2009, 9:06 pm #3

aight ill try that. ive heard of people doing that too, i guess i just thought i was too raw to slow the tempo down. thanks man, let me know if you got any other ideas too.

June 26th, 2009, 8:35 am #4

You also need super tight samples.

sened
sened

June 26th, 2009, 8:49 pm #5

aight thats another thing, do you think hes sampling/resampling some hi-hat pattern and then sequencing, or do you think its more likely he plays it in slow like you said before? it sure seems easier to use a sample. i was messin with that lower tempo yesterday and i had some shit that sounded like this when i used delay. not nearly as crisp tho

June 29th, 2009, 8:00 am #6

Use whatever method is easiest for you bro. Timberland probably has a massive Protools/Reason/Ablten setup and simply clicks the notes in. I would hook the ASR to you computer and midi program the notes in. Last thing you will probably never create exactly what Timb has on that track.

Sened
Sened

June 29th, 2009, 5:50 pm #7

not tryna bite his shit (or else I would just sample whatever I needed), i just really like his flavor and I wanted to know what techniques he might be using with the ASR to create that sound. thanks for your help tho, i appreciate it.

June 30th, 2009, 10:15 am #8

No problem my friend:)

July 9th, 2009, 11:41 pm #9

Wow - no offense guys but does anyone actually play anything anymore? After I listened to a few bars of what you are talking about, I brought up a drum set patch on my Motif, cracked my knuckles and played that riff using two fingers on a hihat sample. Kept the bass and snare going at the same time, too.

Is the art of playing drums on a keyboard already lost to you youngsters? Now I'm really old (born before the Internet was invented) but I remember a time when - if you can believe this - I actually played these old things called, what was it ... oh yeah, drums. Big and noisy, they were, but loads of fun. You used your hands and your feet together to create these intricate patterns called beats. And we all aspired to someday learn to play that most difficult of all beats... Wipeout.

Ah, those were the days.

sened
sened

July 11th, 2009, 4:07 pm #10

shut the fuck up you liar, no one can create something that complex with two fingers or even all 10. fuckin old ass idiot.