epsdisk.exe used to work, but now it does not! WHY?

epsdisk.exe used to work, but now it does not! WHY?

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 2nd, 2006, 10:23 pm #1

Has anyone else encountered this problem:

For years I used epsdisk.exe in DOS to extract ASR-10 instruments to .efe format.

I fully aware of the File Type #6 command, and so on.

Today I thought I'd try it again and suddenly it won't extract instruments properly. The diskette spins for a few seconds, then the program stops extracting. Anyone know why?

Michael Chipps
Michael Chipps

October 2nd, 2006, 11:19 pm #2

Are you in a pure DOS environment, or are you running it in a DOS window in your windows operating system? You can't use it in todays Windows XP.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 3rd, 2006, 12:10 am #3

Michael,

You hit the nail on the head: I'm using the Windows XP DOS prompt

Is there any way to get epdisk working on Windows XP?

Or, are there any alternatives to epsdisk?

Michael Chipps
Michael Chipps

October 3rd, 2006, 3:39 am #4

Ok....The DOS program EPSDISK.exe was written long before todays windows operating systems. That's why it gives you problems, but I'm here to help you!

First, place a floppy disk in your A: drive (one that you don't care gets erased) and open WINDOWS EXPLORER and LEFT CLICK on MY COMPUTER. Then RIGHT CLICK on your A: drive and select FORMAT DISK. Now check the box next to CREATE AN MS-DOS STARTUP DISK, and click START.

This will create a BOOT DISK which will put you in a PURE DOS environment where you can use EPSDISK without any problems.

HOWEVER.....Windows XP uses a file format system which DOS will NOT recogzine. So, a few additional steps are gonna be necessary.
Open WINDOWS EXPLORER and LEFT CLICK on MY COMPUTER. Then RIGHT CLICK on your C: drive, then click properties. In the properties window you'll notice for FILE SYSTEM it will most likely say NTFS. This file system is NOT recognizable by DOS. If you have additional hard drives or partitions, check their properties to see if any of them are useing the FAT (or FAT32) file system. The FAT files system IS recognized and used by DOS.

If you need to, you can create a partition on one of your hard drives and when you format it, it will give you the option to choose which file system you would like it to use. Choose the FAT (or FAT32).

Now if you only have 1 drive formated using the FAT system, no matter what drive letter it uses in windows, it will ALWAYS be drive C: in DOS, becuase that is the only drive DOS will recognize. It won't see the windows drives formated using the NTFS file system.

So, after you find or create a FAT partition on one of your hard drives, you must copy ALL the programs you want to access from DOS to that drive. And I'm sure you know this, but make sure any files you're gonna use with EPSDISK.exe are in the SAME directory as the EPSDISK.exe program.

Have fun, and I hope this wasn't too confusing to you. If you need any additional help just respond here again. I check this forum on a daily basis.

-Michael

October 3rd, 2006, 8:41 am #5

epsdisk and ede work prefectly in win98 too...

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 4th, 2006, 2:45 am #6

Ok....The DOS program EPSDISK.exe was written long before todays windows operating systems. That's why it gives you problems, but I'm here to help you!

First, place a floppy disk in your A: drive (one that you don't care gets erased) and open WINDOWS EXPLORER and LEFT CLICK on MY COMPUTER. Then RIGHT CLICK on your A: drive and select FORMAT DISK. Now check the box next to CREATE AN MS-DOS STARTUP DISK, and click START.

This will create a BOOT DISK which will put you in a PURE DOS environment where you can use EPSDISK without any problems.

HOWEVER.....Windows XP uses a file format system which DOS will NOT recogzine. So, a few additional steps are gonna be necessary.
Open WINDOWS EXPLORER and LEFT CLICK on MY COMPUTER. Then RIGHT CLICK on your C: drive, then click properties. In the properties window you'll notice for FILE SYSTEM it will most likely say NTFS. This file system is NOT recognizable by DOS. If you have additional hard drives or partitions, check their properties to see if any of them are useing the FAT (or FAT32) file system. The FAT files system IS recognized and used by DOS.

If you need to, you can create a partition on one of your hard drives and when you format it, it will give you the option to choose which file system you would like it to use. Choose the FAT (or FAT32).

Now if you only have 1 drive formated using the FAT system, no matter what drive letter it uses in windows, it will ALWAYS be drive C: in DOS, becuase that is the only drive DOS will recognize. It won't see the windows drives formated using the NTFS file system.

So, after you find or create a FAT partition on one of your hard drives, you must copy ALL the programs you want to access from DOS to that drive. And I'm sure you know this, but make sure any files you're gonna use with EPSDISK.exe are in the SAME directory as the EPSDISK.exe program.

Have fun, and I hope this wasn't too confusing to you. If you need any additional help just respond here again. I check this forum on a daily basis.

-Michael
Michael Chipps, you absolutely rule!

I'm going to print out your comments and give it a try this weekend.

Can I ask where you acquired your knowledge?

Michael Chipps
Michael Chipps

October 7th, 2006, 6:11 am #7

Just years of trial and error, and messing around till I find what works. I have a good friend who's very smart with computers, and he helps ME when I'M stuck. Hehe. Now YOU can pass the knowledge onto YOUR friends. It's just one big circle buddy. We're all trying to help each other.

Michael Chipps

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 10th, 2006, 5:59 pm #8

For years I used epsdisk.exe in DOS to extract ASR-10 instruments to .efe format.

Today I thought I'd try it again and suddenly it won't extract instruments properly. The diskette spins for a few seconds, then the program stops extracting. Anyone know why?
Dear Michael,

I've been extremely busy lately so I haven't gotten around to trying your method.

Quick, rather dumb, question: If I make a boot diskette and put epsdisk.exe on it, can I boot up with it, run epsdisk off the diskette at the a: prompt, then extract files from ASR-10?

My haunch is that the answer is NO, because there is nowhere to extract the files TO. Correct?

P.S. I ask because I've never partitioned a drive before, and from what I've read I will have to wipe out my c: drive in the process, so I'm reluctant to go that route!

November 11th, 2006, 8:34 pm #9

If you don't have any partitions to format, find a small old hard drive. But you do need another drive besides the floppy drive.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 11th, 2006, 9:22 pm #10

Okay.

Thanks for your response.