When selling a watch..........

When selling a watch..........

December 22nd, 2010, 2:25 am #1

just asking out of curiosity but whenever you are selling one of your watches and you know and disclose that certain things need to be done or replaced (cleaning, replace X-tal, replace crown etc) does your asking price reflect that or no?
I ask because I have seen a couple of really nice watches being offered for sale on the "other" Forum that I'd really like to buy but the price including any servicing, repairs etc would make the watch then more then it's worth! I cant somehow justify spending money that way! IF the watch is a rather scare or rare one and the price is right even after getting it fixed is another matter but lets say you buy a watch (used obviously) for $145.00 - $150.00 and then add another $150.00 for a cleaning/servicing and perhaps another $20.00 for a X-tal then I would definitely say that's too much money?
Am I thinking clearly or am I wrong??

December 22nd, 2010, 4:47 am #2

selling vintage watches (which is how I got into watch collecting...I never bought newer watches). I lost on most of them after spending time, money, and effort on restoration and repair. Your thinking is o.k. on this. Yes, I took repairs into account when pricing watches and I always fully disclosed any flaws or problems.

Boomtown

December 22nd, 2010, 11:57 am #3

just asking out of curiosity but whenever you are selling one of your watches and you know and disclose that certain things need to be done or replaced (cleaning, replace X-tal, replace crown etc) does your asking price reflect that or no?
I ask because I have seen a couple of really nice watches being offered for sale on the "other" Forum that I'd really like to buy but the price including any servicing, repairs etc would make the watch then more then it's worth! I cant somehow justify spending money that way! IF the watch is a rather scare or rare one and the price is right even after getting it fixed is another matter but lets say you buy a watch (used obviously) for $145.00 - $150.00 and then add another $150.00 for a cleaning/servicing and perhaps another $20.00 for a X-tal then I would definitely say that's too much money?
maintenance down the road....I hold no illusions about this and accept the inherent added costs....
Take cars for example. Buy a BMW and expect to pay higher maintenance costs. Actually every car costs regular $ for upkeep.
Watches are just another thing often needing maintenance costs...even if just a battery. My point is ....if you buy a watch you see and like, and then it needs new gaskets etc etc...that is the price we pay for buying 'into' that watch!
From a purely cost viewpoint, it might not make sense....but then our WIS hobby is not based on purely common fiscal sense! hahaha!

December 23rd, 2010, 12:19 am #4

...when I am buying a vintage watch (ie: 6138, 6139, 6117, 6309, etc...) I feel it is worth the investment for a unmolested watch even if it needs servicing, crystal, lume, case refinishing. Buying something in the condition I ultimately want it in and knowing that the restoration was done properly is almost always going to cost as much as getting it there myself. That being the case I enjoy tracking down parts and sending specific aspects of the restore to specific individuals because of their individual expertise. It doesn't really matter where I start, the costs tend to wind up in the $400~$600 range once it is over.

December 23rd, 2010, 6:27 am #5

nt

December 23rd, 2010, 11:56 am #6

....... the maintenece cost - either now or down the road - when I buy a used watch. Specialy if I get it from the local flea market. The price of maintenece is what I`m negociating out of the asking price of the watch. For example when I got my 7548 Seiko diver from the flea market, the price was already low ($45) but also the watch was prety beaten up.

I gave the guy $40 for the watch and then I ended up paying Jake $65 for replaceing gaskets, cristal, bezel insert. Plus my time for polishing the case. But it was worth for $105.

Also, I also consider the resale value of the watch once its restored. You don`t wanna overspend in mainetenance/cosmetical aspect then not being able to sell the watch down the road when you had enough of it.

I don`t make things. I make things better !