What is the easiest Linux os for a Windows only operator to switch to for their first try

What is the easiest Linux os for a Windows only operator to switch to for their first try

August 19th, 2011, 3:36 pm #1

at Linux? Some of the desktops and operation are very confusing to a newbie. The latest Ubuntu seems like something out of Star Trek. Strange desktop. The Joli OS is very easy. Are there better intuitive ones?

August 19th, 2011, 8:04 pm #2

Is Linux Mint Main Edition. It is very complete and the layout is intentionally set to be familiar to a windows user. It also comes with tons of software preinstalled and lots of settings preconfigured, so you don't have to make many alterations unless you want to. they also have a large and very active community that is really helpful if you have questions.

If you are interested, you can download it from here:

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Just select the appropriate download for the kind of computer you have.

Mint Main Edition is Ubuntu based, which means that it benefits from Mint's and Ubuntu's software repositories and gets all of ubuntu's easy instalation and hardware autodetection software. Unlike Ubuntu, Mint adds a bunch of unique tools to make things like navigating your main menu and finding and adding software much easier.

I use it and I think Pete does as well. We'd be happy to help you out if you're interested.

GO HOKIES

August 20th, 2011, 2:07 am #3

what is a codec? The CD version would be helpful as I could try it first through Windows with the Windows Installer. When installing, how do I know which part of my partition should receive the Linux os?

August 20th, 2011, 2:34 am #4

CDs can only hold about 700MB of data while DVDs are good for about 4GB of data.

No problem though because if you only have a CD burner/player; you can add the missing codecs/apps later.

Codecs are the drivers for sound and video players...they take up a lot of space on removable media

------------------------------------------

August 21st, 2011, 2:44 pm #5

If you are new to linux, do yourself a favor and install a version of your chosen distro with all the codecs installed. You really don't want to be hunting for codecs in a computer environment you are not yet familiar with. I would urge you to stick with a distro with a very good automatic installer. Basically any distro that is Ubuntu based will have an excellent automatic installer. Linux Mint Main edition is one such Distro.

The full version of every distro does not necessarily make it big enough to require a DVD. In fact, most will fit inside a CD. An even better way is to get yourself a USB Thumb Drive. Preferable 4GB in size, but 2GB will work for most distros. installing in one of those will allow you to see a distro at work as though it were installed in your hard drive, and allows for much faster installation. Also a thumb drive is reusable which cd/dvds are not.

What you will need regardless of what medium you choose to install is an ethernet connection. Plug your ethernet line directly to your computer when you are installing (do not rely on wireless), so that the computer is able to pull any remaining codes and updates directly from the distros servers while it is installing. once everything is installed and running properly, you can go back to running wireless.

E-mail me if you have any questions or need help.

GO HOKIES

August 21st, 2011, 6:44 pm #6

at Linux? Some of the desktops and operation are very confusing to a newbie. The latest Ubuntu seems like something out of Star Trek. Strange desktop. The Joli OS is very easy. Are there better intuitive ones?

the partioning, and could not install it...had to bail out and unplug the computer. I have had a problem every time I have tried to install a live distro on my hard drive. This time it would not accept the name of my computer and kept saying "already in use on this system". I skipped the computer name and went to my password and it said "pass word too long" and threw me into page after page of I guess failed entries. It then froze and I unplugged it and pulled the battery to get out. The computer is now o.k. but it scared the heck out of me. I am going to give up on hard drive installation and stick with Joli OS (Jolicloud). Those installs always end strange for me on this Vista machine so I am giving up. Maybe my wife will let me try it on her old Gateway XP laptop if I can build up the desire again. I get tired after all the time devoted to get to a certain place and then fail.

August 21st, 2011, 7:14 pm #7

If you insist on sticking with Vista; you will always get what you got

August 21st, 2011, 7:51 pm #8

Linux Mint 11 right now by installing it through their Windows Installer. I now have a triple boot system.

August 21st, 2011, 8:29 pm #9

Plus it leaves everything wide open to malware

We can only lead you to the safe water source...we can't make you drink it

August 21st, 2011, 9:25 pm #10