Two of my brother-in-law's older watches...

Two of my brother-in-law's older watches...

December 4th, 2010, 3:05 am #1

Hi All,

Dealing with this estate has uncovered all sorts of weird and whacky stuff. I already have an Accutron that I am trying to get restored and functional. Hard to find parts and capable people to look after these things.

For the most part Dave has worn inexpensive LCDs which have a rough life and then he moves onto another one. When we went through his things though I found these two which are pretty interesting.

On the left is a very cool handwind Timex which I think might be 1970s vintage. Clean up the crystal and replace the strap and it is all ready for action. The one on the right is a Lorus analogue quartz. It is an obvious Rolex President look alike.

Some closer pics...

It took a few turns of the crown to get it ticking. I suspect the lubricants are probably a little gummed up after all this time. Got to love a nice, basic handwind.

I have not played with the Lorus yet...

Here is the caseback of the Timex. Pretty cool...

Caseback of the Lorus...

I could crack open the Timex if you guys want to check it out and see if you can identify the movement.

December 4th, 2010, 3:08 am #2

.... Seiko ?

December 4th, 2010, 3:10 am #3

Hi All,

Dealing with this estate has uncovered all sorts of weird and whacky stuff. I already have an Accutron that I am trying to get restored and functional. Hard to find parts and capable people to look after these things.

For the most part Dave has worn inexpensive LCDs which have a rough life and then he moves onto another one. When we went through his things though I found these two which are pretty interesting.

On the left is a very cool handwind Timex which I think might be 1970s vintage. Clean up the crystal and replace the strap and it is all ready for action. The one on the right is a Lorus analogue quartz. It is an obvious Rolex President look alike.

Some closer pics...

It took a few turns of the crown to get it ticking. I suspect the lubricants are probably a little gummed up after all this time. Got to love a nice, basic handwind.

Caseback of the Lorus...

I could crack open the Timex if you guys want to check it out and see if you can identify the movement.
it was handwind only and in mintis shape.. I gave it to EdH , the TIMEX expert...
he told me the date should show in tiny text above the 6 spot....you can always email him or find him on the timex forum!

December 4th, 2010, 3:12 am #4

.... Seiko ?
I had a Lorus MM watch 2 years ago ..sport casing haha!$24usd from Japan auctions. Quality of Lorus is quite good IMO....

December 4th, 2010, 3:41 am #5

it was handwind only and in mintis shape.. I gave it to EdH , the TIMEX expert...
he told me the date should show in tiny text above the 6 spot....you can always email him or find him on the timex forum!
the date code is stamped in the back. That 38 translates to February of 1988 if I'm reading the chart correctly. That was just a few years before the end of Timex mechanical production.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget_Wat ... date_codes

MikeyT
In the Thumb of Michigan

December 4th, 2010, 3:50 am #6

I guess I was a good ten years or so off the mark...

December 4th, 2010, 3:53 am #7

I had a Lorus MM watch 2 years ago ..sport casing haha!$24usd from Japan auctions. Quality of Lorus is quite good IMO....
I was surprised when I saw it on him earlier this year (before my mother-in-law passed away). He always went for very chunky LCD watches which then went through a very rough and active life. Then when the battery died they would get him another one and the older one went into storage somewhere. I resurrected a whack of them but then he just had a dressor full of running heaps!

December 4th, 2010, 3:56 am #8

Hi All,

Some closer pics...

Caseback of the Lorus...

Its funny how watches do have a dated look to some.
I think Dave would like G Shock as he does put good use to his watches. Or he prefers analog types?

December 4th, 2010, 4:21 am #9

Could take the abuse (Dave works in a car shop) and being Atomic it would never need to be set.

December 4th, 2010, 5:39 am #10

.... Seiko ?
....... was introduced by Seiko to the European market at the begining of `80s to compliment the already know Seiko and Pulsar watches. Lorus became very popular because of the variety and the price range it offered. Prices starting at around $20 and going all the way to $200. Just like Pulsar, Lorus has a lot a similar (Seiko) movements depending on the model.

I don`t make things. I make things better !